Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 02:39 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It should also add: and how many of you who answered "yes" and didn't report it when it happened, lecture/preach to others about being a strong woman?
You should post it on your Facebook feed. Let us know the replies you receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 02:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Wow. I honestly don’t even know what to say to this post. So I will just repeat what I said previously... you are wrong. Rape is a violent act period.
I just said it was.

I just said "violent act" and the textbook definition of "violence" aren't always in agreement.

You are saying all this to me like I've never experienced any of it and am not disgusted by it. I have and I am.

I'm not going to keep arguing semantics.

I'm deeply offended that people keep trying to minimize molestation because rape is so much worse.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that that is simply not always the case.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
One is words (perception) and one is a physical act (clear violation of the non-aggression principle).

I know we live in a society where people believe words are violent (which makes it ok to punch a "Nazi") but anything can be construed as "harassment" whereas (again) assault is a physical act.

Very trite description of a serious issue.

A boss asking you for fellatio immediately following up with a comment about a promotion, raise or even keeping your current position isn't "words" or "perception." Its sexual harassment and its serious.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I just said it was.

I just said "violent act" and the textbook definition of "violence" aren't always in agreement.

You are saying all this to me like I've never experienced any of it and am not disgusted by it. I have and I am.

I'm not going to keep arguing semantics.

I'm deeply offended that people keep trying to minimize molestation because rape is so much worse.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that that is simply not always the case.
No one here said molestion wasn’t a violent act.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Is that supposed to be funny?
He's trying to make a joke of the entire thread.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You've never been groped or felt up by a tsa agent?
No I haven't. And if you have, what happened to you was wrong.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:45 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think its an excellent idea.

Sexual abuse isn't something victims should be ashamed about. If one feels so moved to make his or her abuse public knowledge, more power to them.

The only people who should be ashamed of sexual abuse are the perpetrators.
Agreed. It's unfortunate how our country looks down on anyone who has been abused, which is a big reason so many do not speak out.

I would not join in like this, but more power to those who do. I would prefer people speak up at the time. If they were kids, like my sister, it's good to feel that others understand you because it can otherwise be a very lonely world for them.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It's for harassment and/or assault.

Kind of weird to lump them both together.
Harassment may not cause the same level of damage, but it can be very damaging all on its own.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:49 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,468 times
Redzin You said in a previous post that not all rapes are violent. That’s just wrong. Molestation is violence too.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
No one here said molestion wasn’t a violent act.
Reread the thread. I'm not saying you said it.

There's a comment in here about how rape is somehow a different "degree" of awful... I'm paraphrasing.

I'm saying that it depends on the circumstances.

The law even treats rape like a bigger deal than molestation. That's probably another reason more people do not speak up.

Why tell anyone when you're 8 years old that that 16yo guy keeps putting his hands down your pants and shoving his fingers into your underwear so he can fondle you if nobody thinks that it's a big deal unless there's a penis involved?

Even when there's a penis involved, how often do you hear "well, what was she doing?"

(Or wearing? Or saying? Or drinking?)

So, what does an 8yo girl or boy do to deserve having an adult (high schoolers are adults to 8yo kids, too) touch their genitals without their permission?

Why do kids feel like they did something to encourage it? They are CHILDREN.

And, then, people will say... well, that's pedophilia...

But, who cares? It's still molestation.

And, molestation is wrong.

And it is a violent act, in a psychological sense, even if the person being molested didn't get any cuts or bruises.

Sigh.

I am done talking about this now.

It is clear (and has nothing to do with you, FF) that there are people who are always going to put their heads in the sand.

Nobody should touch anyone else's groin, breasts, or buttocks without permission. This should be pretty simple to accomplish, but there are people in this world who just don't give a damn who they hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies