Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 AM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Ideally, the English that should be encouraged during school hours is Business English. Keep the dialects for outside of school. Formal Business English is the language of business and science all over the world. If you want your children to be able to compete in the global workplace and be respected by all, they need to be able to speak and write Business English.
Perhaps the teacher should learn that the language we speak is not "American," then?

Proper English and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 06:45 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,886,217 times
The teachers behavior is ridiculous and very disrespectful of their culture, she's trying to shame them into speaking English by saying "speak American". So Stupid!

Last edited by AFP; 10-19-2017 at 06:53 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 06:52 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Ideally, the English that should be encouraged during school hours is Business English. Keep the dialects for outside of school. Formal Business English is the language of business and science all over the world. If you want your children to be able to compete in the global workplace and be respected by all, they need to be able to speak and write Business English.
People already do and they do if the occasion calls for it

Old 10-19-2017, 07:01 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,066,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Why would you think that?

Those of us perturbed by this teacher feel as such due to her inability to address a behavioral disruption. Apparently the language they speak is more important than their behavior.
And this story like most only addresses the snippet that everyone wants to go nuclear on. The teacher is an English Teacher who was filling in with the class probably tells her students quite often to speak English, or American (which is different) because that is how our schools are conducted.

But as the article shows "I have the right to speak Spanish. I have the right to speak English. I have the right to speak whatever language I speak, and that's my right. There's no law that says that I should or I must speak English." And these will be the same people later in life complaining that they are being disenfranchised by American Society.

Yes it is a behavioral issue and as anyone who works in education knows the options are limited on how you correct behavior. But considering the climate today I am sure there would be a lawsuit if the teacher had sent them to the office for talking during the lesson and in a foreign language...

Old 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,066,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
2. Spanish is very divisive? Uh no. Its a centuries old language. Just because some people don't like it because it hurts their poor wittle 'Murican feelings doesn't change that fact.
Spanish is centuries old and in my day you learned proper Castilian Spanish, Parisian French , etc. Among native Spaniards the versions spoken in the Western Hemisphere were considered improper just as the French view Canadian French or the English view American. As for you childish comments using the word "murican " it makes you sound like a teenager who's posting on social media.

Spanish cultures are not the first group to choose living in this country the difference with my relatives and most who came in previous generations is they wanted to be Americans and that included learning to speak English.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:22 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,437,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Stupidity...the teacher needs to get a grip. People speak other languages and have the right to do so.
Get a grip. There are reasons they should be speaking English. One is the fact that teachers are charged with the duty to prevent bullying. It's part of their job. If they don't understand what students are saying, it's an impossible task.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:23 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,221,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
How do you figure the kids hate algebra?

How do you known they spent the entire period speaking Spanish?

Funny how some make excuses for the poor behavior of adults being paid to do their jobs.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:25 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,221,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Clearly. I'll bet you're one of those who moans about the declining quality of public education, too, even as you defend this idiot English teacher who doesn't even realize that American is not a language.

Furthermore, I will speak anything I damn well please, and I'm not going anywhere.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Get a grip. There are reasons they should be speaking English. One is the fact that teachers are charged with the duty to prevent bullying. It's part of their job. If they don't understand what students are saying, it's an impossible task.
The, you'll have a chance at better jobs if you speak English is a much better excuse than this one lol....

Old 10-19-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Spanish is centuries old and in my day you learned proper Castilian Spanish, Parisian French , etc. Among native Spaniards the versions spoken in the Western Hemisphere were considered improper just as the French view Canadian French or the English view American. As for you childish comments using the word "murican " it makes you sound like a teenager who's posting on social media.

Spanish cultures are not the first group to choose living in this country the difference with my relatives and most who came in previous generations is they wanted to be Americans and that included learning to speak English.
Being humiliated and forced to is different than being encouraged to and wanting to. How would you know anyway? You weren't alive, or you were too young to remember
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies