Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 09:17 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Hostile to anyone.
If I heard the students speaking Spanish, I wouldn't have cared or thought twice.

But I'm not a snowflake, so there's that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:20 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
If I heard the students speaking Spanish, I wouldn't have cared or thought twice.

But I'm not a snowflake, so there's that.
The teacher did and thought it was disruptive.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
You create the environment. Respect is given when respected. It goes both ways.
Nope, I don't do anything. If I speak to my family on the phone, or to my friend in my own language, you butt out. It's none of your business.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:23 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Teacher was in the right. Being bilingual myself, in school should speak english in class. That's the only way a child will get better gripping his/her second language. At home or away from the school environment the children should speak what language they choose.
Bash away cyber warriors

Old 10-19-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Nope, I don't do anything. If I speak to my family on the phone, or to my friend in my own language, you butt out. It's none of your business.
Never mention anything about private conversations.
However this is a public school we are talking about.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:26 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
The teacher did and thought it was disruptive.
It's disruptive because they were talking, not what language they are using.

So if the students were speaking English...I mean, "Amurrican", it wouldn't have been disruptive or less disruptive?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Never mention anything about private conversations.
However this is a public school we are talking about.
You can't have private conversations in school?

Old 10-19-2017, 09:30 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
First of all, an English teacher should have known better than to say¨talk American." That's pretty bad for an English teacher, she must have been flustered, or she's an idiot. I won't assume.

Second, the whole story would be nice. Was she worried they were talking crap about her in a language she couldn't understand and are they doing this on purpose? Seems odd she would just break out with this if everyone was talking and they just happened to be speaking in Spanish.

I would have to see more of it to know. If they were just speaking Spanish, and not using it to disrespect her in front of the class or answer her in Spanish to say something bad about her, then she is indeed in the wrong.

If they were speaking in Spanish to purposely talk about her negatively and disrespect her that's a different story.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:

So if the students were speaking English...I mean, "Amurrican", it wouldn't have been disruptive or less disruptive?
It was both.
Either way it was disrespectful and disruptive.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:32 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,014 times
Quote:

I wish we had more of the story because if they were using Spanish to talk smack about her on purpose then I can see her getting upset. If they were just talking in Spanish for any other reason shes lost her marbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies