Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times

Advertisements

Demanding that they speak ENGLISH would be fine and not just appropriate but should be mandatory on any school campus in the country. Speaking other languages is disrespectful to other students and teachers and undermines any unity of the school community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
American is American English. English has various dialects and even different words and spelling (I.E. British English and Australian English).
No. American English is American English. There is no such language as "American."

You know, if the kids did anything disrespectful, it was talking out of turn in class at all, if it was supposed to be a quiet time or if the teacher was lecturing. Side conversations in any language are distracting, but nobody seems concerned about that, they've just got their panties in a wad because it was Spanish.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:28 AM

19,629 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Speak American - it's a Jersey thing.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Speak American - it's a Jersey thing.
Well that explains everything! If it's a "Joisy thing" it's anything BUT English.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
So much wrong in this scenario. The students were talking about baseball while in Algebra class. THAT'S the problem, not the fact that the teacher tried to discipline the students. Then you had students who were going to walk out. This screams as nothing more than the students finding an excuse to cut class. Then you had a student pull the fire alarm. Yes, the teacher needs further education about what our troops do and why they do it, along with the fact that 'American' is not a language, but nobody seems to be putting any blame on the students in this whole thing.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:37 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I went to a department store and asked two people for a
certain item. They did not even know what I was asking for. Their English was bad. This is the new America.
Nope.

It's the same old America.

Study debunks myth that early immigrants quickly learned English

As for the OP, the teacher in this instance likely mis-spoke in the heat of the situation.
Everyone knows that there is no such language, right?
Right?

Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,173,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No, and I don’t care.

Speak English.

Or leave.
People speak various languages everyday in this country in public and private. I hear it and I love it.

And you aren't going to do a doggone thing about it but complain on the internet.

By the way, "American" is not a language.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:28 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
American is American English. English has various dialects and even different words and spelling (I.E. British English and Australian English).
Liberals are too stupid to realize that.

I will reiterate, if you are in a classroom and English or American is spoken, that’s what you speak. To do otherwise is rude.

Outside the classroom speak whatever gibberish you desire.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Nope.

It's the same old America.

Study debunks myth that early immigrants quickly learned English

As for the OP, the teacher in this instance likely mis-spoke in the heat of the situation.
Everyone knows that there is no such language, right?
Right?
Just like me no such language as Ebonics, right, right?

Old 10-17-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
People speak various languages everyday in this country in public and private. I hear it and I love it.

And you aren't going to do a doggone thing about it but complain on the internet.

By the way, "American" is not a language.
I did something about it, my daughter is in parochial school, where English is spoken, those that speak another in class unsolicited is reminded to speak English.

So yes I did something about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies