Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Why not? Why must I pay for conservatives who are too lazy to eat right?
You're targeting the wrong group. Obesity among blacks (Dim voters) is 48% while obesity in whites (Republican voters) is 33%.

https://stateofobesity.org/disparities/

So using your logic, why should I pay for Dim voters that are too lazy to eat right. I do think whatever health care we come up with, there should be a penalty for people that are obese versus people that keep themselves fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 10:02 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,583,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Charge Insurance premiums by your waist size.
And airline tix by your combined body and luggage weight!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:22 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And most of those people are Republicans in Red states. Getting rid of Red states would do wonders to improve this country.
Wrong. The group that has the highest obesity rate are Food Stamp recipients, and they're Democrats by more than 2 to 1.

The obesity rates of the poor on food stamps compared to the poor who aren't on food stamps, and compared to the rest of the population:

Income-eligible children on food stamps: 24%
Income-eligible children NOT on food stamps: 20%
Non-poor children who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 13%

Kids who get Food Stamps (and free school meals, and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have an 85% higher obesity rate than kids who don't qualify for those benefits.

Income-eligible adults on food stamps: 44% obese
Income-eligible adults NOT on food stamps: 33% obese
Non-poor adults who of course don't even qualify for food stamps: 32% obese

Adults who get Food Stamps (and who knows how many additional Nutrition Service benefits) have a 38% higher obesity rate than adults who don't qualify for those benefits.

Do the math, and recognize that this is a SIGNIFICANT problem.

Exhibit 5, here:
Food Stamps and Obesity - fns.usda.gov

Quote:
The politics and demographics of food stamp recipients | Pew Research Center

Old 10-18-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
LOL! Their definition of a 'food desert' is "no car and no grocery store within a mile".

Oh the humanity!

I live in one of the mountain states. The closest grocery store to me is 18 miles away. Yet that map DOESN'T say I live in a 'food desert'. Last year, before I moved, I lived almost 40 miles away from a grocery store.

The map and the 'study' assumes that people without a car and a grocery store can't get healthy food. It's idiotic.
Yep. I'm 7 miles from the nearest grocery store, and there's no public transportation here. Yet, I'm not in a "food desert," either.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:31 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Who needs a report?

Old 10-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
I went to college in a food desert (College Park, MD). Not counting the dining halls (and even those were questionable), your food options were/are: D.P. Dough, Bobby's Burger Palace, Five Guys, Slices Pizza, Noodles and Co (though I must say that one is great for a hangover...LOL), and the bars. The only reason I'm still slim is from having to walk at least 20 minutes from my dorm/apartment to class each day. Lol...
College Park, MD has no grocery stores?

BS.

I've been there while sponsoring students from IL in the National History Day competition.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:00 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Being underweight (i.e., BMI < 19) is a greater health risk than being obese.
That's not germane to this thread ONLY because the % of underweight persons in the US is not dramatically increasing.

It's worth a mention though, as is the fact that being "skinny-fat" (normal BMI, high concentration of body fat) is arguably the highest health risk of all:
Quote:
a 2014 report on people with “normal weight obesity”—normal BMI, high body fat—found that they have a significantly higher risk of metabolic problems and death from these diseases than any other group.
Skinny Fat: The Hidden Dangers of Being Thin and Flabby | Time.com

The long-and-short is that obesity is rapidly becoming a new norm, which might not be a desirable thing but it's not the bad-health-risk story of the century. We folks who aren't obese can point fingers all night and all day but we don't get off the hook that easily. We get sick too. And we'll die too, sooner or later. Just like the fat people and the skinny people and the skinny-fat people.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Fighting my weight is a hard ongoing battle.

I was never overweight in my life until I reached my mid-60s. And then, pretty damned fast, I gained about 45 pounds and could not lose them.

My problem turned out to be an aging thyroid gland that was getting lazy. Meds fixed that, and once I began taking them, the pounds melted right off. But then, my system returned to normal gradually instead of acting like it was the Energizer Bunny.

And when it did, the pounds started creeping back on last Christmas. I'm about as lousy a dieter as it gets, so I started fasting one day a week, which is a lot easier for me to do, and now, I'm much more stable, even though the weight is much slower to lose.
The fast day is not starvation. I just eat very, very little, and drink lots of water, and go to bed a little hungry. The hardest part of it is the next day, when I have to really watch over-eating to make up for the slack from the day before. It could take me a month to lose a pound, but the pound only takes a couple of days to put on.

I think several million baby boomers are facing exactly the same problems right now, or will, very soon. The problem isn't always money; it's the high-fat, high-calory diet we've all come to love that has developed over the past 50 years.

It's very hard to break a habit that is that old. Especially a habit that is also vital to sustaining life. Everybody has to eat. I'm no great cook, so I had to learn to tolerate "boring" food. Also had to learn to stay home and cook, and avoid going and grabbing some Wendy's instead.

And coming to grips with gaining another pound once in a while. For me, exercise seems to help burn off a little weight, so I'm denning less and exercising more. Not much more, but enough to make me feel good.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
F
And coming to grips with gaining another pound once in a while. For me, exercise seems to help burn off a little weight, so I'm denning less and exercising more. Not much more, but enough to make me feel good.
Every knowledgeable article and book ever written on the topic tells us that the exceedingly beneficial results of exercise are numerous and important, but weight loss is not necessarily one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies