Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 07:47 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,492,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Here in Phoenix in the so called food deserts there are grocery stores with-in close proximity with tons of fresh produce.

Maryvale for example for 9 full-service grocery stores with very cheap produce. Alhambra has a very high poverty has about the same amount of grocery stores.

In Arizona and California, the produce is super-cheap at many supermarkets.

For example, here in Phoenix the specials include at grocery stores in the poorest neighborhoods: 10 pounds of potatoes $1.29, bananas 33 cents a pound, 25 cent cucumbers, 33 cent a pound onions, 33 cent a pound carrots, 33 cent a pound pineapple, 33 cent celery, 4 pounds of cantolope for 99 cents, 2 pounds of sweet potatoes for 99 cents.

Some food desert they have in Maryvale in Phoenix. Pretty much every low-income neighborhood I have seen in Arizona or California has lots and lots of grocery stores.

Tons of cheap supermarkets in the high poverty concentration areas in Phoenix.

I was in one the poorest section of Santa Ana, CA for instance and seemed like grocery stores were everywhere, yet the fast-food restaurants had a dozen cars in the parking lot for expensive high-profit combo meals of big burgers, big orders of fries, sugary sodas.

The issue is that they like expensive steak, expensive bakery items and cakes and processed chips, sodas and cookies.

I lived in a high poverty section of Mesa and I was lonely in the produce department. But the bakers had a huge line for expensive specialty cakes. I notice lots of people getting huge steaks all the time.
I think the concept of food deserts is an interesting one to look at but I don't know why they made 1 mile (10 for rural) the benchmark. That's nothing. In most suburbs, you have to drive at least a mile to get to anything. 10 or 20 miles would be more meaningful in showing who don't have easy access to good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 09:30 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,605,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db288.pdf

The rate is actually 39.8%, but rounded the number is now 40%

Rate was 15% in the 1970s. In the 1970s, 12% men and 17% women obesity.

Rate is 38% for men and 41% women

Rate 20 to 39 years old: 35% men, 37% women obese

From 40 to 59 years old: 41% men, 45% women obese

I am surprised it is not higher because the obesity I see is stunning. It will only get worse also.

So much of culture now is about eating, eating and more eating.

Very sad how people refuse to walk, bike or run anymore. Seems like over the years, I see less and less people running, walking and biking.

I can't imagine the rate by 2030. I think eventually it will peak though, there are many people who just to restless or don't have much of an appetite.

What is shocking is the rate from 20 to 39 years old though. People who are college-aged and just entering there working years are already at 35% men and 37% women.

Oddly, there is only a 3 percent gap in obesity rates from 20 to 39 years old men and senior men.

In the long city block where I live, there are 35 adults. Only 3 of them are obese and not extremely so. Most people around here are very active and a high percentage are walkers, runners or bike riders. If you go grocery shopping, even at Walmart, no more than about 15% of the people you see are obese or heading in that direction. Health food and bulk-food stores are numerous and healthy diets are a strong part of our local culture. If you're significantly overweight, rather than going to a fat farm for recovery therapy, living in a place like this would be better.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 AM

152 posts, read 99,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
I thought the country was chock full of 'food deserts'? At least that's what we were told by the Left...
I went to college in a food desert (College Park, MD). Not counting the dining halls (and even those were questionable), your food options were/are: D.P. Dough, Bobby's Burger Palace, Five Guys, Slices Pizza, Noodles and Co (though I must say that one is great for a hangover...LOL), and the bars. The only reason I'm still slim is from having to walk at least 20 minutes from my dorm/apartment to class each day. Lol...

Old 10-18-2017, 08:10 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,848,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And most of those people are Republicans in Red states. Getting rid of Red states would do wonders to improve this country.
I guess you do not know that a foid percentage of purple in these red states are blue. For example, in Tennessee, 34.7 percent of votes were for Hillary for the 2016 election.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:18 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Here's a list of obesity rates, by state. WV, MS, AL, AK, LA, TN, KY are at the top.

https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/
Texas is #8. I'm surprised it isn't higher. The obesity here is stunning. It's like everyone here is fat unless you go to very wealthy areas where women are scary thin.

In Texas in general, fat = poor and scary thin = rich.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,675,377 times
Health epidemic--more Type 2 Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, Cancers (all cancers increase w/ obesity), joint problems, etc.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/adult/causes.html

40 % of all cancers are obesity related!

http://blog.aicr.org/2017/10/04/obes...397.1508336756

Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,873,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
In the long city block where I live, there are 35 adults. Only 3 of them are obese and not extremely so. Most people around here are very active and a high percentage are walkers, runners or bike riders. If you go grocery shopping, even at Walmart, no more than about 15% of the people you see are obese or heading in that direction. Health food and bulk-food stores are numerous and healthy diets are a strong part of our local culture.
Eugene sort of sounds Eastern part of Salt Lake City, Flagstaff and Boulder. It is like a completely different world from the rest of the nation.

I know Montana has had a lower rate and that is likely due to Bozeman and Missoula.

Seems like many western metropolitan areas that have close proximity to lush mountains and a university tend to be completely different from the rest of the country.

There is also Boulder, Park City and here in Arizona there is Flagstaff that are similar where the whole culture is about being athletic and eating things like organics, juicing etc.

Shocking to see the comparison between Phoenix/Tucson and going up to Flagstaff.

Phoenix has lots of people from all over Arizona and I noticed that people from the higher-elevation towns who move to Phoenix tend to be very fitness oriented and thinner than the people who from Southern parts of the state.

Most of the people I have known who are very athletic and moved to Phoenix from other parts of Arizona are from more lush, mountainous parts of the state. Areas like Globe, Payson, Show Low and Flagstaff.

Many of the people who I have known in Phoenix who are in their 20s and already have weight-related conditions are from warm, lower-elevation parts of Southern Arizona

Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,637,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
Now what, you want to ban fast food because it causes obesity and eventually ends up to death?
Some may laugh at this, but that is the current mentality...if something is deemed dangerous, unhealthy, or unsafe in any way, they are quickly regulated and sometimes banned, and usually the Govt agencies tell us 'its for our own benefit', 'to protect the health and safety of the public'.

In the days before cigarette smoking dangers were known, there were no regulations at all, you could smoke in just about any building you liked, sit in your office and smoke, now it is heavily regulated, they are banning smoking just about everywhere except your own home.

So what would be the difference in doing the same with fast food?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:13 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,206,433 times
Quote:
New Report from NCHS: 40% of adults now obese
So... we now can end the food stamps program?

Old 10-18-2017, 09:14 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,806,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Take us back to 1880. Shall we also barter a live chicken with the doctor? And get a horse instead of a car.
Maybe try these changes:

Bike instead of motorcycle
Cross country skis over snowmobile
Sailboat over motor boat
Two story instead of single floor
Clothes line not clothes dryer

Just living on third floor walk-up apartment increases live span and health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies