Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 08:09 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,372,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
We now have confirmation that: 1) Trump is getting senile enough he basically needs cliff notes to remember who he's supposed to be talking about, and, 2) he did, in fact, tell her her husband "knew what he was getting into." Representative Wilson's account of the event is 100% confirmed.

Gold Star widow Myeshia Johnson breaks her silence about Trump call - Business Insider
As I understand it, the entire family was in the limo (apparently for the burial/funeral), an Army officer was holding the phone up on speaker for all to hear the president, and the family's congressional representative was present.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 AM

38,957 posts, read 50,875,947 times
Trump tweets implying the widow is a liar. What is wrong with Trump? What human gene is missing that makes him accuse rather than comfort? Put yourself into this scenario. If someone misunderstands you in a situation like this, if they are hurt instead of comforted then any decent - DECENT - human being would apologize for their selection of words, their tone or whatever lead to the misunderstanding. They would try to make things better, not worse.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:15 AM

51,583 posts, read 25,500,783 times
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/922431492793528320

Any bets on whether Trump will call her out on twitter?

Will Kelly step up to the WH press podium and accuse her of nefarious deeds?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 AM

51,583 posts, read 25,500,783 times
He called Sgt. Johnson's widow a liar. Honest to God.

This is beyond bizarre.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...40008971292672

Old 10-23-2017, 08:18 AM

21,431 posts, read 7,372,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/922431492793528320

Any bets on whether Trump will call her out on twitter?
He has already tweeted about it this AM. I don't know what he said.
Quote:
Will Kelly step up to the WH press podium and accuse her of nefarious deeds?
Good question.

Will a lap dog bark on command?

Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump tweets implying the widow is a liar. What is wrong with Trump? What human gene is missing that makes him accuse rather than comfort? Put yourself into this scenario. If someone misunderstands you in a situation like this, if they are hurt instead of comforted then any decent - DECENT - human being would apologize for their selection of words, their tone or whatever lead to the misunderstanding. They would try to make things better, not worse.
This is my general point about Trump and his comments.

If he really didn't forget Johnson's name and the widow is mistaken, why not just say "I'm very saddened at this misunderstanding. If I gave Mrs. Johnson the impression that I didn't recall her husband's name, I sincerely apologize."

Implies that he didn't forget it. Acknowledges that she believes he did. Calls the whole thing a mix up.

To accuse a gold star widow of lying is despicable.

It is, however, his regular thing.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:21 AM

34,935 posts, read 36,068,421 times
Quote:
He called Sgt. Johnson's widow a liar. Honest to God.

This is beyond bizarre.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...40008971292672
So, like, it never occurred to him that she might be very upset and not recall it because he said something as ridiculous as "he knew what he signed up for?"

Come on, The Donald.

He is such a princess.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM

11,188 posts, read 8,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
THIS! I actually don't have a problem with the sentiment of "he knew what he signed up for". It is true, and I think he started with good intent, although Trump's empathy-void self couldn't deliver that message well. I'd give him a pass on that, but his response, THE ONLY RESPONSE, should have been something to the effect of: "I am so sorry for your loss, and if you understood my message to be anything other than condolence and empathy, I am sorry. Your husband served our country honorably, and for that we are all grateful."

Instead, he got his feelings hurt, and opted to go against yet another gold-star family. How anyone can support this guy, and criticize others for their lack of patriotism, or lack of support of the troops is just dumbfounding!

And all you mindless Trump-lemmings, please take note: I said I don't have a problem with the sentiment of what he said, and I do believe he initially meant well. From there he just bungled it. What a PIG he is.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:22 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
Now we know why Obama or Bush never called families of people killed in combat. Half the time your haters are not going to like what you say and could use it against you.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:23 AM

15,785 posts, read 21,291,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
This is my general point about Trump and his comments.

If he really didn't forget Johnson's name and the widow is mistaken, why not just say "I'm very saddened at this misunderstanding. If I gave Mrs. Johnson the impression that I didn't recall her husband's name, I sincerely apologize."

Implies that he didn't forget it. Acknowledges that she believes he did. Calls the whole thing a mix up.

To accuse a gold star widow of lying is despicable.

It is, however, his regular thing.
This.

I hate Trump, but I haven't been a fan of this media frenzy. That said, Trump just keeps digging. And digging. And digging. The media wouldn't pay they story half as much interest had Trump responded as you suggested above. Is it too much to ask him to be professional and courteous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies