Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:59 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,811,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It's ironic as well, since imo living in Oklahoma would be a reason to drink lol
Very much this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Ok, so getting pedantic with it then:

Telling people which days they are allowed to sell legal products based on religious reasoning is not an impediment to freedom?

And yes, there are many places where blue laws restricting the sale of alcohol on Sundays are still in effect, I grew up in one of them. What non-religious justification is there for only banning the sale of it on Sundays, or for that matter, controlling the times it can be sold at all? Should be an obvious violation of church state separation but these types of laws fester in tons of backwater local and sometimes even state level governments.

What is the limit of the amount of freedom it is fine to sacrifice because it is just a "minor inconvenience?"
Completely agree with this. While it is only an inconvenience, it's extremely frustrating because I don't believe in the angry Baptist God. This is a state that is gung ho about giving businesses freedom to discriminate against the LGBT community, yet it tells businesses they must sell 3.2 beer and that liquor stores must sell everything room temperature because "God said so." The state says car dealerships have to be closed on Sundays because apparently its a sin to sell a car on Sunday. The state legislators threw a tizzy-fit a couple of years ago when an atheist group wanted to put a festivus pole at the capitol, yet are fighting tooth and nail to keep their Ten Commandment's monument. The state has some of the strictest laws against marijuana in the country because it's the "devil's lettuce."

Give me a break. I wish evangelicals would focus on their own lives and morals instead of trying to dictate everyone else's.

One more thing; authoritarian governments generally start restricting freedom before taking it away. Conservatives throw a huge fit about things like background checks for gun ownership, which like much of the above, is only an inconvenience.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:00 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
you can smack your face and S your H until the cows come home for all i care. having to remember to load up on beer the day before sunday is not a threat to my freedom, no matter how much you want it to be
If you ran a liquor store it would be a threat. If you ran a gas station it would be a threat. What is it with people being completely unable to view anything from any point of view other than their own?

I don't go to church, lets ban it - not a threat to MY freedom. Give me a break.

Whatever your job is or was, you don't think it would be a threat if some bible or koran bangers came in and told you that you were no longer allowed to operate on Tuesdays under force of law. You think that is not a threat?

Old 10-18-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Impeding freedom is threatening freedom, that is obvious. Actually, by the time it reaches an impediment, it has already past the threat stage and become an actual loss. So I guess you could say that an impediment of freedom is what happens when you actually follow through on a threat to freedom.

"Oh don't worry! We aren't threatening your freedom... we are just impeding it."

SMH
As I said, the same people who are okay with blue laws will throw a fit about gun restrictions.

Note that I am pro-Second Amendment and actually stand with conservatives on that issue. I just apply the same logic to other issues as well.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:03 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,141,070 times
If it wasn't for liberals we'd have people thrown in jail for adultery and homosexuality

Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
If you ran a liquor store it would be a threat.
no. it would be an impediment. an annoyance. even a pain in the ass.
but not a threat.

Quote:
If you ran a gas station it would be a threat.
still nope. see above.

Quote:
What is it with people being completely unable to view anything from any point of view other than their own?
a question you might consider asking yourself.

Quote:
Whatever your job is or was, you don't think it would be a threat if some bible or koran bangers came in and told you that you were no longer allowed to operate on Tuesdays under force of law. You think that is not a threat?
no more so than if they were the local pencil-pushers down at city hall. still just an impediment.

but keep on smackin'

Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,909,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well if we are going to talk about impeding freedom, it is the LEFT that came up with a cool new word: "DOXING"... which basically is the ruining of the life of a person who says something liberals don't like.

so yea, there is an active group of Americans working diligently to impede freedom. They are exclusively part of the Progressive Left.

(That isn't to say everyone on the left is a progressive or agrees with the progressive lefts attacks on free speech)

But the progressive left is utterly anti-freedom, fascist vindictive people who have already articulated their hate and anti freedom views in scholarly writings.
"DOXING" is employed by trolls of any political background. It is not a "left" thing by any means.

In fact, it has been prominently employed by right-wing trolls in many recent cases (see: "GamerGate" nonsense).

Old 10-18-2017, 01:12 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no. it would be an impediment. an annoyance. even a pain in the ass.
but not a threat.

still nope. see above.

a question you might consider asking yourself.

no more so than if they were the local pencil-pushers down at city hall. still just an impediment.

but keep on smackin'

The idea that it is not a threat is blatantly false. Easily demonstrable by increasing the demand. If it is not a threat to ban sales on Sunday, it should not be a threat to ban them on Monday. If it is not a threat to ban it on Monday, it is not one to also ban it on Tuesday. Lets ban the sale for all times except for Friday between the times of 2:30 and 2:35 AM. You know, just a "minor inconvenience". The liquor stores should do just fine.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Very much this.

Completely agree with this. While it is only an inconvenience, it's extremely frustrating because I don't believe in the angry Baptist God. This is a state that is gung ho about giving businesses freedom to discriminate against the LGBT community, yet it tells businesses they must sell 3.2 beer and that liquor stores must sell everything room temperature because "God said so." The state says car dealerships have to be closed on Sundays because apparently its a sin to sell a car on Sunday. The state legislators threw a tizzy-fit a couple of years ago when an atheist group wanted to put a festivus pole at the capitol, yet are fighting tooth and nail to keep their Ten Commandment's monument. The state has some of the strictest laws against marijuana in the country because it's the "devil's lettuce."

Give me a break. I wish evangelicals would focus on their own lives and morals instead of trying to dictate everyone else's.

One more thing; authoritarian governments generally start restricting freedom before taking it away. Conservatives throw a huge fit about things like background checks for gun ownership, which like much of the above, is only an inconvenience.
It clear you confusing Christianity with your Sins of the world. God has free will and the choices men and women make will determine their being saved by Jesus.
Churches do not applaud sin, however it their duty accept all.

Marijuana is anther choice people make and most Christians have a dim view of recreational smoke. god never intended to have us abuse his work.

Again you are assuming. Most States have Back Ground Checks at the time of purchase and if you are not a CCW Permit there is a 5 day hold on your purchase. These laws have been on the books for years. Conservatives approve of lawful ownership and use.

Liberals are afraid of their own shadows and in itself make this country less safe. Liberals do like free speech, only if it is in their view of what is right?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM

OKC psychic sentenced in rare fortune telling case | News OK

Just today, in Oklahoma City, a woman was sentenced to 18 months for fortune telling. Why? Fortune telling is a sin against God.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
OKC psychic sentenced in rare fortune telling case | News OK

Just today, in Oklahoma City, a woman was sentenced to 18 months for fortune telling. Why? Fortune telling is a sin against God.
Well it may not be of God, However the so call fortune Teller just may of not even operating a business legally? It s about fees and taxes and permits to operate a business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies