Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:43 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Honestly I would not get into something so specialized that it would force me to move to 1 of the 2 most expensive areas in the country.

The jobs are expanding to other cities slowly but surely. I like control over my own destiny I'm not sucking on the teet of 2 single areas in the entire country.

The bolded is 100 pct true. Also cities such as Charlotte, Phoenix, and Las Vegas are growing and have been for years. Some cities in Florida will possibly be next.
The issue isn't that people are forced to live in those areas to have a job. Like you mentioned, you can be an engineer and work at any number of companies, in any number of areas. But if you want the really high salary, there are just more options concentrated in a few areas. I do think those "few areas" are expanding though... Seattle, Denver, and Austin immediately come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:54 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The issue isn't that people are forced to live in those areas to have a job. Like you mentioned, you can be an engineer and work at any number of companies, in any number of areas. But if you want the really high salary, there are just more options concentrated in a few areas. I do think those "few areas" are expanding though... Seattle, Denver, and Austin immediately come to mind.
The number of expensive cities is expanding, too. Minneapolis has become the 3rd most expensive US city next to NYC and LA, and surpassing San Francisco and Seattle - this is not because SF and Seattle have gotten any cheaper either. A severe shortage of housing in Minneapolis has made it not only surpass Chicago as the Midwest's most expensive city but also has put it in the ranks of the world's most expensive cities. Minneapolis is very strictly zoned, which is a major factor in its housing shortage. If Minneapolis did things like Houston, the problem would be solved.

Denver is becoming an expensive city. Austin is an expensive city by Texas standards although not by California standards.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I moved to NYC in the '80's for what I thought was a better opportunity. It was like being in the Navy but with more officers around (the CEO was a retired Admiral, I was a retired and not quite sane River Rat we did not operate on the same wavelength). Fortunately I then moved to an job in Boston and could live in southern NH. 30 years later that place is getting too damn crowded as well as too heavily taxed to support schools for all the damn kids.

I am retired and looking seriously at moving to a small near ghost town in the southwest. After all you can't damage your back shoveling sunshine. The problem is increasing need to be within range of medical services including the VA. The sanity level seems to be decreasing.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
The lack of culture and diversity in said small town is the reason people want to be closer to people of shared interests. also maybe to find new interests.
We are constantly told how the cities are the absolute pinnacle of culture and rural areas have no culture. My experience has been the complete opposite.

I've been to six European countries, Canada, Mexico, and about 35/50 states. If you want to see the real culture of the area, you have to get out of the cities and go to smaller towns and villages. Big cities everywhere are very similar and largely homogenized. City people are at best indifferent and often are simply jackasses. Its a natural response to being around that many people all the time. Big cities in the US, Canada and Europe largely have the same stores, brands, restaurants etc.

The terrain, climate and monuments of a city are going to change, but the people will all pretty much behave similarly. They all have the same ubiquitous McDonald's, Starbucks and luxury brand stores. London is not that different from Paris, which is not that different from New York, which is not that different than San Francisco.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:04 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
The reality though is the engineer in SF isn't making $150k. He's making $300k and up... if he got in early enough at any one of these successful companies, he's making $500k+. Not to mention there are a TON of jobs here for him so that job stability and opportunity also has some value. For some career paths, it really does pay off and I think that's why you still see a constant stream of smart people who move here.

Not to say there aren't people making more average salaries... there are, but they probably stay because 1. They bought/started leases years ago where their housing costs are still low, 2. They live really far out, 3. Not enough money to move. I have a love/hate relationship with the area... I know I wouldn't move here unless there weren't serious $ upside to it.
300k is the median? Highly doubtful. What position? How many hold it? Years of experience? Size of company?

Old 10-18-2017, 02:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
300k is the median? Highly doubtful. What position? How many hold it? Years of experience? Size of company?
Why don't you check Glassdoor? Make sure you look at the salary detail, because much of it is loaded in bonuses and stock. Check Google, for example. I think those guys are still the bar for high salaries here.

Hope C-D lets me post this. Edit: I'm updating the link I gave previously because this one may make more sense. On this Quora thread, and my own friends' experiences seem to agree, the starting total comp for an engineer at a Google/FB type of company is about $180-200k. That's straight out of undergrad... remember every year their salary increases, and each year they get a refresher grant of additional stock. Imagine what that person's making at 30, and then 35, and on. I have a few friends who started making $500k at about 35 years old. They aren't in leadership positions either.

Last edited by BicoastalAnn; 10-18-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 04:20 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The number of expensive cities is expanding, too. Minneapolis has become the 3rd most expensive US city next to NYC and LA, and surpassing San Francisco and Seattle - this is not because SF and Seattle have gotten any cheaper either. A severe shortage of housing in Minneapolis has made it not only surpass Chicago as the Midwest's most expensive city but also has put it in the ranks of the world's most expensive cities. Minneapolis is very strictly zoned, which is a major factor in its housing shortage. If Minneapolis did things like Houston, the problem would be solved.

Denver is becoming an expensive city. Austin is an expensive city by Texas standards although not by California standards.
Where exactly are you getting your information concerning COL?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Where exactly are you getting your information concerning COL?
https://www.economist.com/blogs/grap...daily-chart-13

I talked to a female friend in Minneapolis who had lived in San Francisco when I did. She told me about that city's housing shortage and verified what The Economist came up with.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:38 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
I'm in FL here is rural dn beach within 40 min in any direction of our 3 large cities- and in some areas we can have our chickens if we so wish. mAny of us have gardens in our yards tomatoes etc and some even have horses again within the hour.

In Florida we still both

Old 10-18-2017, 04:41 PM

581 posts, read 456,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It didnt get to this point by accident or by coincidence.

Think about who benefits when 'normal' is considered being heavily in debt for everything, cars, houses, student loans, etc. and most have to work 60+ hours a week just to maintain it all.

This is about control over the people.
Well said. They want you to have college degrees these days for $10 an hour reception and admin jobs. The cost of living keeps going up, but wages continue to stagnate. It's no wonder people can't get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies