Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,870,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And too much winter!
Might as well take this as an education opportunity for those of you that think KS = meth.

https://www.dea.gov/resource-center/meth-lab-maps.shtml

Meth lab incidents CY2014:

KS = 48
OH = 939
TN = 961
PA = 211
MO = 1,034
IL = 729
IA = 143

As for too much winter, that's an opinion so of course you are correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 AM

45,680 posts, read 23,818,728 times
Location these days?????

It's always been location, location, location.

Some choose location based on job opportunities because that's their priorities.
Some choose locations based on hobbies, recreational amenities because that their priorities.
Some place priority on having a community with professional sports teams, or a vibrant theater scene, or easy access to the mountains, or easy access to the beach, or easy access to some great restaurants,, musical venues.

It's a personal, complicated equation.

For each of us it is different.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,161,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
There's no real opportunity there for the regular person unless you want to work at starbucks or some other MW wage job. Look at all the homeless there, where are their opportunities? The weather is ok, not the best though. San Diego is better. As far as politics and diversity goes, That's why SF is a Lefty magnet, they thrive on hive mindedness and separated communities.
Well, no, there is still more opportunity for the non-college educated. But, yes, life will be worse for the minimum wage worker in SF compared to Wichita. I agree that SD has better weather than SF. I do disagree with you on the diversity. There would be more of a mono-culture and hive mentality in Wichita. Your assertion is the opposite of diversity. Yes, way too many homeless. It is a shame that we have so many that live on the streets in the richest country in the world. It is devastating.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:28 AM

77,734 posts, read 59,870,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well, at least in my case, the best jobs in my field tend to be located in or around population centers. Sure it costs 30% more to live there, but the jobs pay 30% more as well and there are more of them. As long as you are in a field that is competitively paid, it is always better to make more money in a high cost of living area than it is to make less money in a low cost of living area, because COL can be largely offset by things such as online shopping where you get prices that are competing against all areas.

So, for professional well compensated jobs, in a high COL area, you pay more for housing taxes etc... but you can pay roughly the same as low COL areas for much of the rest of the products you need, leading to a net increase. Not only that, you can build up retirement savings/investments based on the higher pay and then eventually take that larger amount to a low COL area when you are ready to call it quits.

If you plan on working at McDonalds then yes, it is a pretty terrible idea to try to move to some crazy high COL city...
Great post.

That gets into a lot of nuances about what even constitutes "population centers".

For example, the cost of living from Boston to Indianpolis is going to be pretty significant....and for some jobs the pay increase (especially for better paying jobs and net of taxation considerations) don't pay that much more and certainly not enough to cover increased housing costs.

But we can come with other examples the other way and really it's a complicated discussion in general.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Yes it's a complicated equation based on personal factors.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:34 AM

993 posts, read 760,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Bragging rights.

A lot of people who live in the inner core live there so they can brag about living there. (No, not all)
In our case we lived close in to the city so we wouldn’t have a horrendous 2.5 hour commute that would negatively impact our family time and probably our marriage. Also the schools were highly rated. Our children's education was important to us. Not all rural areas have good schools. Bragging didn’t enter into the equation.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Yeah the bragging thing -- what an odd thing to believe that people live somewhere to brag about it.

I brag about where I live because I love where I live -- not to show off to anybody. We didn't move here to brag about it but we do. It's a pretty great place.

Is that what was meant about bragging?

We all think we live in the BEST place. And we do -- we live in the best place for each one of us...hence we can all brag about where we live.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:41 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,393,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Well, no, there is still more opportunity for the non-college educated. But, yes, life will be worse for the minimum wage worker in SF compared to Wichita. I agree that SD has better weather than SF. I do disagree with you on the diversity. There would be more of a mono-culture and hive mentality in Wichita. Your assertion is the opposite of diversity. Yes, way too many homeless. It is a shame that we have so many that live on the streets in the richest country in the world. It is devastating.
I was being snarky about the diversity and hive mindedness. Diversity these days means segregation for the most part. Each group wants their own mini country. Yes, homelessness is a big problem but many WANT to live that way for some odd reason. The mono-culture you speak of is the American culture, which if we were truly a melting pot like we should be, it would be everyone's culture for the most part with the added spice of individual cultures. Not separate laws and governance like many push for, but that's just my opinion on the matter.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:45 AM

7,448 posts, read 2,806,378 times
To take it to the extreme for illustrative purposes:

If you lived in a place where cost of living per year was only 1 dollar, and you were payed 100 dollars a year, your COL expenses would only be 1% of your total pay. However, good luck ever building any real, transferable wealth, or ever being able to move out of that spot.

On the other hand, if you lived in a place that costs 99 million dollars a year to get by, and you are payed 100 million dollars a year, 99% of your pay per year would go directly to COL, but you could easily move almost anywhere in the country after a few years and be well off.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:46 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,393,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yeah the bragging thing -- what an odd thing to believe that people live somewhere to brag about it.

I brag about where I live because I love where I live -- not to show off to anybody. We didn't move here to brag about it but we do. It's a pretty great place.

Is that what was meant about bragging?

We all think we live in the BEST place. And we do -- we live in the best place for each one of us...hence we can all brag about where we live.
No, what is meant is that people like to LOOK like things they aren't so they will try to comingle with the area/crowd that spotlights what they want people to view them as. Go scroll through your FB feed, I'm sure you have friends that portray fake lives, it's the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies