Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 06:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times

Advertisements

https://www.emarketer.com/Article/US...-Media/1015775

12 hours per day consuming media on laptop, desktop or mobile device.

8 hours is what the average person sleeps.

I think it is very interesting how people pay 10 times the price for a home in San Francisco than Wichita when a vast majority of people's lives is consuming nearly universally available media and sleeping.

When ever I am in a big city, I wonder where the excitement is as a vast majority of people are staring at a device most of the time.

Interesting the premium pay to be on the internet in Culver City or Newport Beach as opposed to Wichita or Grand Forks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 06:29 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,036,702 times
There are too many meth labs in Kansas.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:09 AM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,172 times
I try and balance my internet consumption and am currently reading most of the Wikipedia pages on volcanoes.

So nice to not think about politics for a while.

Don't think a single politician has ever stopped a volcano.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:04 AM

78,358 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
There are too many meth labs in Kansas.
I won't refute your personal experience regarding the matter but that's not typically what I've seen in studies.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I try and balance my internet consumption and am currently reading most of the Wikipedia pages on volcanoes.

So nice to not think about politics for a while.

Don't think a single politician has ever stopped a volcano.
Well, I think extensive further testing of the effects of dropping politicians into volcano's is warranted.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

I think it is very interesting how people pay 10 times the price for a home in San Francisco than Wichita when a vast majority of people's lives is consuming nearly universally available media and sleeping.

When ever I am in a big city, I wonder where the excitement is as a vast majority of people are staring at a device most of the time.

Interesting the premium pay to be on the internet in Culver City or Newport Beach as opposed to Wichita or Grand Forks.
Bragging rights.

A lot of people who live in the inner core live there so they can brag about living there. (No, not all)

Old 10-20-2017, 07:16 AM

OP, I cannot tell you how many people over the years that I've had conversations with either in real life or on forums etc. where they complain about living in a high cost of living area with a brutal commute and how they have no free time and no spare money to do anything since their starter home was 700k.

You mention that the Midwest is in general cheaper and then out comes the stereotypes with things like "Well I'm a liberal would I be able to make any friends?", or that they don't go to church = no friends blah blah blah which is so silly I won't even bother to discuss further.

Then I typically hear how they would miss the "night life" or the "restaurants" which they can almost never afford or have time to enjoy...along with missing "the ocean" which is 2 hours drive away for them and they go maybe twice a year.

In fairness, I used to live in Chicago and also hear people from less urban areas ask how dangerous it is. It isn't but again, misinformation and myth runs rampant.

I 100% support people to make their own personal choices I just feel that people that have always lived in a certain area often just don't know what they're talking about with regards to other parts of the country.

But hey, that's their call, me personally I enjoy not having my paycheck devoured by housing costs and enjoyed the TWO EXTRA HOURS each day not spent commuting. I've lived in towns\metros of 5,000 and then 200k or so then 10mil or so and now about 1mil+ so that's my diversity of experience but I realize many others may have other factors that they value more than me and that doesn't make my or their opinion on the matter any more right or wrong.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:22 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:

Jobs are in big cities the distribution is not equal.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:33 AM

18,490 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:

I have wondered that as well. Most people spend most of their waking hours at work anyway.

A cube farm in San Francisco isn't much different than a cube farm in Des Moines, Iowa or Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:34 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I have wondered that as well.

A cube farm in San Francisco isn't much different than a cube farm in Des Moines, Iowa or Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey.

Yet the variety and quantity of jobs is not evenly disbursed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies