Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2017, 10:21 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So Trump set a trap by (1) purposefully bungling a phone call to the widow of a dead soldier; (2) denying that he said what listeners to the conversation said he said; and (3) trotting out his Chief of Staff to try to make amends, all to (4) get liberals to criticize a Gold Star general?

That's what you think happened?
The minds of Trumpetts really are strange aren't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:22 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

Leftist default....RACIST!!!

Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyblythe View Post
Trump is a chronic f-up. This is just the latest at a terrible time for that family. The man has NO clue.

The widow can have anyone in the car with her that she chooses when she goes to meet her husband's body, which she did. Including the mother and the congresswoman, a family friend from the man's young years. The call was on speakerphone for all to hear. Trump reportedly never spoke her husband's name calling him "your guy" several times. Aagh! He's no longer here but he had a NAME. And Trump probably had it right in front of him.

Had he said just a few kind words, about Johnson's bravery and doing a heroic job, about being grateful for his service, that his family could be proud, etc. he would have left some comfort. Instead, he did what he always does and injected some Trumpian assholism; a warped distortion of what Kelly tried to convey. The family could have swallowed their outrage, hurt and anger, but why should they or the Congresswoman have to? To protect Trump? Puh-leeze! He deserves no quarter and no candycoating of his awful behavior at the sacrifice of others he inflicts himself upon. Most know he does this kind of stuff ALL the time.

Trump knew Kelly didn't choose to talk about the death of his son. Yet, to make TRUMP look better and Obama bad, he lassoed Kelly right into the conversation where he didn't want to be.

Kelly did clarify each president handles these sensitive contacts their own way and that he understood that. He discouraged Trump from making the calls. Had Kelly just gone on to speak about his own loss, it would have left a poignant, compassionate impression with most listeners. Kelly appears to have principles Trump has never had. Hard to believe those, often old school, tenets allow him to abide Trump.

But, Trump has been a grown man for 50 years. Kelly protected him like he was his 5 year old who got in trouble at daycare. When you start rationalizing Trump's despicable behavior, you go over to the dark side. Kelly serves a good purpose as a guide, but when he steps forward to defend Trump in any way other than, "Yes, I did say that to him," he loses credibility with many, many who might see him as a sensible, even keeled man. If Trump has a recording of the call, let him provide it. Somehow his proof gets threatened but never materializes.

For Kelly to attack the congresswoman, a family friend, or normally grieving family is unconscionable. Totally out of line. He can talk Trump into releasing the audio to verify inaccuracies in perception. His voice is valid for his own loss. Not his place to tell someone else on the receiving end of things how they should behave. Nor even his interpretation of what happened in this circumstance. His perception isn't truth. Defending Trump in the way that he did proved that.

Knowing Trump's history, he pressures people to go to bat to cover for his f-ups. AND he will be beating a drum this week to put other people in the crosshairs and to try to extract his own bacon from the fire. True to form he will have another major jerk move in short order to deflect from his deflection. It's what he does.
Best post of this whole thread and worth repeating over and over. Well said.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
The Congresswoman has lost any respect when she referred to herself as a Rockstar this whole mess. Anyone who dislikes this President is going to go out of their way to paint him in the worse possible light.

The focus should not be about her but about the young man who just died.

Just curious, has the family that Trump spoke to have they come forward?

I'm interested to see how they interpreted Trumps call.
If it didn't bother them then case closed.
Two other family members in car who heard the call on speaker phone backed up the congresswoman.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:28 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
"...empty barrel...." has nothing to do with racism or race.

My interpretation of the phrase is that,

empty minded person vibrates more (makes more sound) because of the absence of knowledge inside him or her.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:30 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There will be no more of Republicans taking the high road. Democrats used to count on Republicans doing that, and got used to saying whatever they pleased.

But those days are over. A congresswoman from the clown car can no longer assume her color and her party affiliation will protect her. Democrats are getting their hat handed to them regularly, from the gridiron to the ballot box. And they have done it to themselves.

MAGA
Right on. This is war for the soul of our country, you don't take the high road during war with evil you destroy the other side. This woman and these types of Democrats/politicians need to be destroyed.

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Trump called 4 families that day, likely saying the same words to them (which were just like what Gen. Kelly's best friend said to Kelly when his son died), only this family regard it as offensive, presumably incited by the politically motivated congresswoman.
Here is another Goldstar widow's conversation with Trump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yc8bKAeetQ

10,520 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Just when you think leftists cant get any uglier, they manage to top themselves. Seriously, using a dead soldier to manufacture screen time for themselves?
Actually, this all began when Trump tried to make everything about himself again...

In the Rose Garden:

QUESTION: Why haven't we heard anything from you so far about the soldiers that were killed in Niger? What do you have to say about.. (goes off mike)?

TRUMP: I've written them personal letters. They've been sent, or they're going out tonight, but they were written during the weekend. I will, at some point during the period of time, call the parents and the families, because I have done that traditionally.
I felt very, very badly about that. I always feel badly. It's the toughest -- the toughest calls I have to make are the calls where this happens. Soldiers are killed. It's a very difficult thing. Now, it gets to a point where, you know, you make four or five of them in one day -- it's a very, very tough day. For me, that's by far the toughest.
So the traditional way -- if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn't make calls. A lot of them didn't make calls.I like to call when it's appropriate, when I think I am able to do it.
They have made the ultimate sacrifice. So generally I would say that I like to call.
I'm going to be calling them. I want a little time to pass. I'm going to be calling them. I have -- as you know, since I've been president, I have.
But in addition, I actually wrote letters individually to the soldiers we're talking about, and they're going to be going out either today or tomorrow.
QUESTION: Why did it take you -- Mr. President, why did it take you so long...

a few minutes later....

TRUMP: Peter -- go ahead, Peter.
QUESTION: (inaudible) a quick question. Earlier, you said that President Obama never called the families of fallen soldiers. How can you make that claim?
TRUMP: I don't know if he did. No, no, no.
I was -- I was told that he didn't often, and a lot of presidents don't. They write letters.
QUESTION: (inaudible)
TRUMP: I do -- excuse me, Peter.
I do a combination of both. Sometimes it's -- it's a very difficult thing to do, but I do a combination of both.
President Obama, I think, probably did sometimes, and maybe sometimes he didn't. I don't know. That's what I was told.
All I can do -- all I can do is ask my generals. Other -- other presidents did not call, they'd write letters. And some presidents didn't do anything.
(CROSSTALK)
TRUMP: But I like -- I like the combination of -- I like, when I can, the combination of a call and also a letter.
(CROSSTALK)

Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/NewDay/st...7%2Fframe.html

Lol the Dems keep sinking into Trumps newest trap. Attacking a Gold Star father
When all else fails, pull out the race card.

The woman is such a loon, she makes Pelosi look downright normal in comparison.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
That's the cons angle now? The congresswoman attacked Kelly. Wow
Where the **** have you been? Come out from under your rock. Yes she attacked him.. Good grief. I swear, society would be so much better off without so many stupid people around who are led around by the nose and told what to think and say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies