Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:51 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Smog was everywhere, rivers caught fire and acid rain fell from the sky. Even those who stupidly dismiss AGW, should want strict environmental regulations.
I remember days in NYC when the smog was so bad we couldn't leave the house.
I remember the horror of Love Canal.

I feel like a lot of people who claim that regulation is no longer needed are of the same mind-set as those who believe that vaccinations are no longer necessary.

They seem to think that just because something is not currently as big an issue as it used to be, then it wasn't really an issue to begin with.

Or something.

Oh, well. I suspect that many won't be convinced until our cities again look like Beijing does now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, it was real friggin' knee-slapper driving in the pre-emission controls LA Basin and seeing a brown wall in front of you, taking a few seconds to realize it's AIR. But admittedly probably not as much fun as living downwind of Love Canal or toasting marshmallows over the burning Cuyahoga River.

Hudson River was contaminated with industrial wastes and sewage before Pete Seeger and environmentalist took up the cause.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollut...e_Hudson_River

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I'm curious as to who these conservatives are that want zero environmental regulations or accountability.

Any quotes? If it's a conservative opinion, thousands of examples should be available.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:53 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm curious as to who these conservatives are that want zero environmental regulations or accountability.

Any quotes? If it's a conservative opinion, thousands of examples should be available.
They just make **** up as they go.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Smog was everywhere, rivers caught fire and acid rain fell from the sky. Even those who stupidly dismiss AGW, should want strict environmental regulations.
Undoing some of Obama's politically motivated regs doesn't return us to those days.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I remember too...but not conservative

1960s....Visibly polluted waters, trash everywhere on highway sides, poor air quality in most cities. My mother had asthma always worsened by outdoors.

A visit to smoggy NYC on 42nd street left you standing ankle deep in trash, which was not a one time thing. Horrid and filthy and nasty.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Born in 1955, I certainly remember it. I had written before about how my parents and I visited New York City in the mid 1960s, and how dirty the air was. Here is one article remembering that time, with a photo from 1966:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/28/n...city-smog.html

I also recall that downtown Fort Worth (my home) also had very dirty air downtown, due to the buses and cars. When my father would return home in the evening, his white shirt would have a gray tint.

Another link about the smog in Los Angeles:

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/l...past-in-photos

As for LA, I recall that at one time it was seriously discussed cutting huge holes in the surrounding mountains, and install equally huge fans, to try to disperse the air pollution.

Recall that Senator Barry Goldwater was all for the EPA act. As he famously said:

"While I am a great believer in the free enterprise system and all that it entails, I am an even stronger believer in the right of our people to live in a clean and pollution-free environment."

Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,961 times
I remember seeing a Great Blue Heron in the late 70's and it was a huge deal because I had never before seen a bird like that in the wild. Thanks to regulation of DDT (and Rachel Carlson), I now see them and Sandhill Cranes (which I had no idea back then were native to my state because I'd never seen one) and Eagles regularly.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

It's more of an extreme libertarian position. Ron Paul advocated for eliminating the EPA when he ran for President. You see how far he got.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
You know the old clean air act took care of all that crap right? No one is talking about getting rid of that...

Old 10-19-2017, 08:58 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I remember seeing a Great Blue Heron in the late 70's and it was a huge deal because I had never before seen a bird like that in the wild. Thanks to regulation of DDT (and Rachel Carlson), I now see them and Sandhill Cranes (which I had no idea back then were native to my state because I'd never seen one) and Eagles regularly.
I have seen arguments for the deregulation of DDT right here, on this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies