Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 12:25 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,138,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Apparently you were born on November 8, 2016.

I have news for you, race relations have been going downhill since 2008.
Electing a Black President seemed to trigger a lot of right wing republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 12:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,897,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
OP, I'd suggest you go and do a little research on Richard Spencer. This a-hole has been around for years, giving speeches and making noise. Including throughout the Obama administration. Given that, do you label Obama as "directly responsible for the reemergence of these creeps and their racist philosophy"? Or do you hide behind your hate and ignorance and only blame Trump for these things?
It's obvious these people have been there for years.

It is interesting, however, how bad things have gotten in relation to events that these people hold since Trump entered the WH. Is it just a coincidence?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:31 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,086,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It's obvious these people have been there for years.

It is interesting, however, how bad things have gotten in relation to events that these people hold since Trump entered the WH. Is it just a coincidence?

Yes, Thanks to Antifa and BLm

Old 10-19-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Yes, Thanks to Antifa and BLm
Why didn't these flare ups between these groups happen as often as they are now in years past (i.e. pre-Trump)?

BLM has been around for years. "Antifa" (Black Bloc) has been around for years (decades).

What is different NOW?

Old 10-19-2017, 12:36 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,372,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
So alt right, neo nazi, white nationalist (take your pick) Richard Spencer, is planning on making a speech and appearance at the U of Florida later today, and there is the potential for another Charlottesville type of confrontation.

It is clear to me that the fat man's courting of this evil, but small part of the population, is directly responsible for the reemergence of these creeps and their racist philosophy. Also hate crimes are on the rise and fat man owns this too.

In my opinion, and prior to Trump arriving on the scene, we weren't a perfect country with regard to race relations, but we were on a good glide path to becoming a Country more accepting of both racial and religious differences.

However as a direct result of Trump's acceptance and wet kiss embrace of these hateful white nationalists/neo nazis, it feels like we are on the cusp of of another very ugly period with regard to racial and religious division.

How is this Making America Great Again?

Dubious claims of "rise in hate crimes!" I'll wait for the official FBI figures, thank you. Not self-reports by hijabi hoaxers and self-inflicted "crimes" like black people spray-painting poorly drawn swastikas or burning down their own churches.

White people have been committing hate crimes at rates less than their proportion of the population for many years now. IN fact, hate crimes have been decreasing as perpetrated by white people (while increasing for POC). POC have been OVER-represented in hate crime perpetrators during the same period.

But go on. Tell us how Trump and white nationalism is creating hate and is SUCH a problem. A few dweebs in polo shirts carrying tiki torches march in Charlottesville and you'd think it's Kristallnacht all over again. Meanwhile, people on the left are rioting in the streets in Berkeley and burning the college there and it's nothing to worry about. Justified rage, I guess.

Now, I know you want everyone to think there's a Nazi under the bed, but you need to tone down the hysteria. There isn't much said by Richard Spencer that isn't a direct inversion of things said - and sanctioned - across college campuses, mosques and SJW twitter 1000X per day.

If you stopped giving Richard Spencer attention, he wouldn't be an issue.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:38 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,105,809 times
Quote:
This quote is from George W Bush(43) who just made a speech on the status of the Country - "Bigotry in the US seems emboldened right now." Who and what do you think he was referring to?

He is neither media or a liberal right?
He's still pouting because of the trouncing Jeb took from Trump- sour grapes from a sore loser.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Why didn't these flare ups between these groups happen as often as they are now in years past (i.e. pre-Trump)?

BLM has been around for years. "Antifa" (Black Bloc) has been around for years (decades).

What is different NOW?

The left is UNHINGED.

The right was similarly unhinged when Obama came around. But, maybe my general circle and social media leans left, so I didn't see the absolute insanity against Obama that I now see directed against Trump.

Honestly, it's a derangement syndrome. I expect more from liberals, who fancy themselves as smarter and better educated. Maybe I shouldn't.

Remember #thanksObama that people used to use to parody those who blamed Obama for every little thing?

Now it's "TrumpsAmerica" everytime a bird ****s on somebody's car.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The left is UNHINGED.

The right was similarly unhinged when Obama came around. But, maybe my general circle and social media leans left, so I didn't see the absolute insanity against Obama that I now see directed against Trump.

Honestly, it's a derangement syndrome. I expect more from liberals, who fancy themselves as smarter and better educated. Maybe I shouldn't.

Remember #thanksObama that people used to use to parody those who blamed Obama for every little thing?

Now it's "TrumpsAmerica" everytime a bird ****s on somebody's car.
I'm aware of all of this.

I will point out that the vast majority "liberals" are not involved in protests that turn violent (as aren't the vast majority of "conservatives"). If you really want to quantify the number of people out there, it is quite small (on both "sides").

I'm wondering why these kind of events didn't happen during Obama's tenure (at least as frequently).

What is it about NOW that makes these events happen so much more frequently. Why are we only looking at blaming the "left"? Why is no one taking seriously the possible idea that much of Trump's rhetoric in his campaign emboldened some people to feel comfortable in speaking in their gross ways?

Speech, that I agree is protected - but I don't think this is all happening NOW as a coincidence. I certainly believe the correlation has a causative link.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:46 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,379,414 times
Quote:

However as a direct result of Trump's acceptance and wet kiss embrace of these hateful white nationalists/neo nazis, it feels like we are on the cusp of of another very ugly period with regard to racial and religious division.
Hardly.

The issue is the liberal media blowing out of proportion the fact that so many people no longer wanted a politician in office and chose a businessman instead. It had nothing to do with racism.

But keep drinking the Koolaid.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of all of this.

I will point out that the vast majority "liberals" are not involved in protests that turn violent (as aren't the vast majority of "conservatives"). If you really want to quantify the number of people out there, it is quite small (on both "sides").

I'm wondering why these kind of events didn't happen during Obama's tenure (at least as frequently).

What is it about NOW that makes these events happen so much more frequently. Why are we only looking at blaming the "left"? Why is no one taking seriously the possible idea that much of Trump's rhetoric in his campaign emboldened some people to feel comfortable in speaking in their gross ways?

Speech, that I agree is protected - but I don't think this is all happening NOW as a coincidence. I certainly believe the correlation has a causative link.

Politics has been degrading for years now. Discourse has been degrading. The only thing that works and gets attention is people just saying what's on their mind.

The escalation of violence, however, IS actually coming from the left, who feel morally justified in elevating speech to violence, and then responding to speech with actual violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies