Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM

13,289 posts, read 7,841,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
These fibers work excellently for you, if you eat the right ferments with them.

Those preservatives kill the benefits of such attempt.

Me? - I live on volatile fatty acids.
The best way to increase your beauty rate is to eat potato starch regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
The best way to increase your beauty-rate is to eat potato starch regularly.
I know that!

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 10-21-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I know that!
Yeah, but how many people do you know who have the knowhow to boil potatoes, cool them overnight, and then eat them cold the next day?

How many people even know how to boil a potato?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:30 AM

If your kids give you any crap about being served cooked cold potatoes in the morning, just give 'em some very sharp cheddar cheese to go with them.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If your kids give you any crap about being served cooked cold potatoes in the morning, just give 'em some very sharp cheddar cheese to go with them.
Well, you know there are other things to eat, don't you?

Old 10-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Well, you know there are other things to eat, don't you?
Yeah, so what?

Old 10-21-2017, 12:10 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
If you have not see the documentary Fed Up, then I would highly recommend it for you, and I would love to hear your reactions to it. The focus of the movie is sugar, and I notice that it is not on your list. In fact, the primary focus of the movie is on the way in which the food industry specifically targets children and tries to get them hooked on sugar as young as possible. And how they have tailored school lunch programs to suit the needs of industry profits at the expense of children's health.
really? did you actually READ what wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm
so the food police are at it again. if you want a healthy diet you have to stop eating all kinds of food that people have been eating for thousands of years.

red meat is bad for you, eggs are bad for you, sugar is bad for you, butter is bad, margarine is bad, milk is bad, pasta is bad, then good, then bad again, salt is bad preservatives are bad, soy is good/bad, etc. etc. etc.
try again there sport?

Old 10-21-2017, 04:53 PM

8,912 posts, read 6,210,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Bingo...all this nonsense of what is good or bad for you is just that...NONSENSE. Its portion size and moderation that will give you a healthy longer life.
^^^ I think the above is true for everything that occurs naturally in different foods like sugar, salt and saturated fat. However the chemical preservatives, artificial coloring and modified oils are bad for us in ANY amount. Ingesting chemicals will lead to cancer. Think about this. The government allows a certain level of a chemical preservative in food. The food companies all use this chemical preservative and before you know it a person is ingesting 10 or 20 times the safe amount because they consume multiple foods with that preservative in it. How can people practice moderation with these chemicals in food when they are being added in all processed, convenience foods? The only safe practice is to avoid processed, convenience foods entirely. Me personally, I do not worry about salt, (natural) sugars or saturated fat. I gave up processed foods in 2017 and I am down 35 pounds so far with just that change to my lifestyle. The body can handle the natural elements just fine in moderation. The chemical-laden processed stuff is just dangerous.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:28 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,645,032 times
I am almost 60 years old. When I was growing up we ate out a lot - several times a week - with no problems. Of course, back then restaurants used real ingredients and made a lot of things from scratch. I drank iced tea - sometime with a little sugar, sometimes none, and drank a Coke when I felt like it - but these were either the little 6.5 oz bottles or the 12 oz bottles and they used real sugar, not HFCS. I'm from the South and was raised on fried chicken, pork chops, etc. And I played outside - rode my bike 'til dark and all. Got real exercise. And everything was in moderation.

Now I have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) that they think was caused by a bad year when I had to take a lot of antibiotics which can really mess with the good/bad gut bacteria. So I had to eliminate a lot of things, and only eat certain things in small quantities and only occasionally. I eat a lot of meat because it poses no issues with my condition. So I started doing more cooking and reading labels, etc. Sugar I have no problem with. I probably use a lot less now because I don't use many processed foods. Can't do HFCS - and it is in almost everything. Gluten is a problem because it is very fermentable in the gut so I have to limit it. I bring this up because gluten free flour needs xanthan gum added in or it won't hold together for anything - not even as a breading for chicken - let alone baking - so there is at least one purpose it serves.

I still eat out - am just careful about what I order. Yes, it's true that a lot of portion sizes are big. But I just eat what I want and take the rest home. I can get 2 (sometimes 3) meals out of a big restaurant meal. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself like a tick on an artery.

Bottom line - use common sense. Moderation. Exercise. Also - those little plastic trays that so much frozen processed food comes in - the plastic gets in the food and it bad for you. Try to stay away from all highly processed food - or, again, moderation.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,723,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? did you actually READ what wrote?

try again there sport?
Sorry. Bad wording. I was trying to say that I (and the movie) basically agree with you. All that stuff - meat, eggs, etc., not bad - it's sugar that is the primary problem. Dietary fat became a public enemy a few decades ago (the McGovern Report), but that was based on some weak science. (Unlike the evidence showing that sugar is bad (if not poison), which is based on some very strong science.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies