Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Reagan's tax cuts tripled the national debt, slowed the rate of job growth, and transferred a great deal of wealth to the already wealthy.

To make up for lost revenue from his original tax cut, Reagan increased taxes numerous times -- the Social Security Reform Act of 1983, the Deficit Reduction Act of 1984, the Tax Reform of 1986, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987, ... These tax increases shielded the wealthy, and hit middle income Americans. Deductions, such as interests on student loans, disappeared which had a significant financial impact on middle America.

Lot fewer jobs created under Reagan than under either Clinton or Carter.

Under Clinton, gain of 2.9 million jobs created per year in office.

Under Carter, gain of 2.6 million jobs created per year in office.

Under Reagan, gain of 2 million jobs created per year in office.

Reagan's economy was helped along by sharp cuts in interest rates by the Fed and large increase in federal spending for defense.

However it isn't all bad news The income share of the top 1 percent, jumped from 8.3 percent to 14.2 percent—a gain of 71 percent.

Essentially, the rich got richer, the poor got poorer, middle-income Americans took a hit, and the National Debt tripled.

Look it up. That's exactly what happened.

What part of that sounds like good news to you?

Putting Jimmy Carter in any kind of positive light must be your idea of a joke. Unemployment, Inflation, and Interest rates were ALL a disaster on his watch. Nice trifecta there. All were much better after Reagan's 8 years. Carter. ROFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You need to understand that two things are wrong with what you just wrote.

1). You used too many big words.
2). You used way, way too many numbers and then confused the matter even more with %.

Leftists don't do big words, numbers and especially not % - unless it is 1% only because they have been taught that 1% is EVIL. Try to fit all that on to a bumper sticker or short slogan.

1% is EVIL.
mostly true- even Jesus depicted them so------Moses tried to corral them and other parts of the world always show them as evil and CORRUPT

Old 10-22-2017, 06:23 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelogo View Post
Did you watch the video? it's only 3:29 min.

The point of this thread is how people lie to carry out their agenda. They are supposed to be college news. They are anything but. Deceiving students to get them to agree with their point of view on something they have no knowledge.

People like to argue from one side or the other, dem or rep, that is pointless.

People don't care they knew they are being lied too and they still vote for one of the idiots anyhow. They don't vote anymore for love of this country they vote because it upsets the other party.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:35 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
I am going to explain the matter differently.

You have a few students with the preconception that trump's plan is good only for rich people. Then a "college news" guy come to the students and deliberately deceive them into making them believe the plan is good for everyone. The result is that everybody shames the students for having said preconception, and they themselves feel ashame.

This can only happen because the whole thing is based on a lie. If the guy had explained correctly the three points he raised [which clearly benefits only rich people], the students' preconception would have been validated.

Here they are again:
1. Increase child tax credits.
He failed to say he is talking about single persons who earn over $250k or married couples earning over $500k combined.
2. Eliminating the death tax.
He failed to say he is talking about people who have millions of dollars.
3. Lower small business rate to 25% max.
He failed to say that small business already pay less than 25% in tax and this will only benefits the richest who are paying over 25%

However, people go about accepting that kind of lies, they are everywhere and people can't even see them. That is the whole point of this thread.

If you think I'm bashing on the right, you cannot understand anything I have been trying to say. I could pick a lie the other way around, but this one was so disgusting I had to start a discussion, yet it seems nobody see it here.

I just checked the video again, over 540k views and just about every comment (there's a few of exceptions) making fun of the students. How ironic, it's sad really.

the whole point of the video, is that FACT that these students prejudge an idea based on politics

what is really sad is that if you say this plan is from sanders/Hillary/Obama the say "if its form them it MUST be good"....and if you say this plan is from trump/republicans they say "it MUST be bad, because its from them"

it truly is sad that our youth, our COLLEGE students have zero creating thinking, and zero constructive thinking...its sad that they are truly indoctrinated to thinking that only the fascist liberals think up good plans

another thing that is sad, is you as the OP don't see the indoctrination of these students

Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

1% is EVIL.
mostly true- even Jesus depicted them so------Moses tried to corral them and other parts of the world always show them as evil and CORRUPT
huh???

what is the one percent.....every businessman, every politician, everyone who has made it successful in his/her life

so being a successful mechanic/doctor/lawyer/carpenter/cop...is now evil according to you??

the funny thing is that the other 99%...HOPE to BE part of the 1%.....I mean, doesn't everyone hope to be a success???......but you say that success is evil, so I guess we should all strive to be failures, or lumps on a log

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
the whole point of the video, is that FACT that these students prejudge an idea based on politics

what is really sad is that if you say this plan is from sanders/Hillary/Obama the say "if its form them it MUST be good"....and if you say this plan is from trump/republicans they say "it MUST be bad, because its from them"

it truly is sad that our youth, our COLLEGE students have zero creating thinking, and zero constructive thinking...its sad that they are truly indoctrinated to thinking that only the fascist liberals think up good plans

another thing that is sad, is you as the OP don't see the indoctrination of these students
Most people in youtube comments are similar to yours. You are WRONG. Fox news is spreading the same lie https://youtu.be/aDW5eXl7xKE

I'll put the matter now from the opposite side. I just saw this video of Obama: https://youtu.be/Q29GfToBymU
It should be fairly easy for you to see how he is lying:
Look at what we did over the last eight years; created jobs for the jobless, made it easier for young people to earn a higher education, covered more families with health insurance, brought home more of our brave troops...

The truth is that he created crappy part time jobs, education as well as health insurance became a lot more expensive, and created more wars that he started with.

It is easier to see these lies from your point of view, but you can't see the lies on the trump side because that is what you happen to agree with. Now I will probably have another person complain that Obama isn't lying, and I've got things wrong. Do you see want I'm conveying here?

BOTH sides are lying and mistaken about the economy and politics. That is why things are bad not just in the us, but everywhere.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
I am going to explain the matter differently.

You have a few students with the preconception that trump's plan is good only for rich people. Then a "college news" guy come to the students and deliberately deceive them into making them believe the plan is good for everyone. The result is that everybody shames the students for having said preconception, and they themselves feel ashame.

This can only happen because the whole thing is based on a lie. If the guy had explained correctly the three points he raised [which clearly benefits only rich people], the students' preconception would have been validated.

Here they are again:
He failed to say he is talking about single persons who earn over $250k or married couples earning over $500k combined.
He failed to say that small business already pay less than 25% in tax and this will only benefits the richest who are paying over 25%

However, people go about accepting that kind of lies, they are everywhere and people can't even see them. That is the whole point of this thread.

If you think I'm bashing on the right, you cannot understand anything I have been trying to say. I could pick a lie the other way around, but this one was so disgusting I had to start a discussion, yet it seems nobody see it here.

I just checked the video again, over 540k views and just about every comment (there's a few of exceptions) making fun of the students. How ironic, it's sad really.
Nothing "ironic" about it - a variety of media do these "man on the street" interviews and they are almost always hilarious because they exhibit how clueless some people are. Interesting enough, I think most media has to get a signed waiver to air the video taped Q&A interviews - always surprises me that they get these folks to sign the waiver. I know when I was on Antiques Roadshow, I had to sign a waiver.

I think you actually believe all of this and THAT is what the "real story" is - those clueless kiddos thought the same way you do. It's not a "LIE" just because you don't understand what the Tax Reform Outline is. The only "LIE" was the words "Bernie Sander's Plan" ...... turned out it was NOT Bernie's plan, but they liked it because they thought it was. We ALL know that -- even you know that.

You don't even grasp that you are wrong on some of your points - where are you getting your information, because you need better sources.

Here they are again:

. The child tax credit today has an income CAP (that means upper level) of around $48,000 - the Tax Reform Outline wants to raise the CAP to somewhere around $200,000 for married couples to also use the Child Tax Credits .... number have not been set because the Legislation has NOT been written - it's an OUTLINE.

I won't even try to explain the difference to anyone between people who have $5 Million dollars in CASH to pay a tax and people who own land/property that is VALUED at $5 Million dollars. The common saying here is "Land Rich, Cash Poor" -- they have to sell the Land to pay the Government the Death Tax and then they have nothing left.

There have to be dozens and dozens of articles about Small Businesses that pay their Taxes as "Personal Income" - unless that small business is a 1-2 person owner that is barely scraping by - when they add ALL of the Business Income to their own Salary income from the Business -- they are definitely over the 25% bracket and it's likely that NONE of them are below the current 28% bracket.

There was "Failed to Say" ..... you could make an argument for "Failed to ask", but the rest of it is just another embarrassment at how little people pay attention and how they have preconceptions (based on Political Ideology or perhaps ignorance/indoctrination) about Current Events and how our Laws are passed and what Government is supposed to do under the Constitution.

I look forward to seeing exactly what the US Congress will do with the proposed Tax Reform Outline presented by President Trump ..... UNTIL they actually write a Legislation for Tax Reform any discussion is pretty worthless because we have no idea what they will write.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Most people in youtube comments are similar to yours. You are WRONG. Fox news is spreading the same lie https://youtu.be/aDW5eXl7xKE

I'll put the matter now from the opposite side. I just saw this video of Obama: https://youtu.be/Q29GfToBymU
It should be fairly easy for you to see how he is lying:
Look at what we did over the last eight years; created jobs for the jobless, made it easier for young people to earn a higher education, covered more families with health insurance, brought home more of our brave troops...

The truth is that he created crappy part time jobs, education as well as health insurance became a lot more expensive, and created more wars that he started with.

It is easier to see these lies from your point of view, but you can't see the lies on the trump side because that is what you happen to agree with. Now I will probably have another person complain that Obama isn't lying, and I've got things wrong. Do you see want I'm conveying here?

BOTH sides are lying and mistaken about the economy and politics. That is why things are bad not just in the us, but everywhere.
how am I wrong....

I watched the youtube video...and I don't like clicking links from here

the POINT of the video, is how gullible and biased the youth of today are, with all the indoctrination they receive.

the 'newscasters" are not so much lying, but digging into the truth

IF I say to you... "hey, there is this tax plan that sets the lowest rate at 40%, think off how much the rich will pay now".... and then say its from ????.....and if your response is:

"well if its from sanders it MUST be good, but if its from trump it MUST be bad".......

does that or not show how much bias you have....you didnt even think about it, didn't even say "wait the LOWEST rate will be 40%, yes the rich will pay, but it screws the poor"...the response was sanders good, trump bad......

the video proves the point, it truly is sad that our youth, our COLLEGE students have zero creating thinking, and zero constructive thinking...its sad that they are truly indoctrinated to thinking that only the fascist liberals think up good plans

and yet you as the OP, still don't see the investigative journalism, you only see a lying question....even though that ''lying question''' brings out the truth.....truly sad

Old 10-22-2017, 11:50 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
When my kids were in college, there was no indoctrination into politics.
Really?

High school gets you through the "ABC"s but College expands your mind.

Political Science wasn't offered to your kids?

Old 10-22-2017, 12:49 PM

1,675 posts, read 576,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I think you actually believe all of this and THAT is what the "real story" is - those clueless kiddos thought the same way you do. It's not a "LIE" just because you don't understand what the Tax Reform Outline is. The only "LIE" was the words "Bernie Sander's Plan" ...... turned out it was NOT Bernie's plan, but they liked it because they thought it was. We ALL know that -- even you know that.
No I don't know that and I have said the name on the plan doesn't matter.
This is what the guy said:
To enhance the child tax credit which is tax money given back to families when they have children, What do you think of that positive or negative?

Do you think this is NOT deceiving? This doesn't apply to most people. He deliberately made the students believe he is talking about giving tax credit to the general public. Same with the next two questions.

The students liked the plan because the guy purposely lead them to believe the plan is meant to give money to families when they have children, and every day people. The 3 points he raised doesn't apply to over 90% of the population.

I am amazed how people just ignore the lies, and focus on how other people are biased but can't see their own.

Last edited by thelogo; 10-22-2017 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies