Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 03:55 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverEden View Post
It also keeps our brain healthier and helps to prevent memory loss and dementia. When was the last time you memorized a phone number or anything like that?
True, but I do have to memorize a lot of passwords these days...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 03:56 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
You're growing old, Bent.

Nostalgia for the past is casting a rosy glow on your fading memories that never existed back then.

It's common.
Everyone remembers their youth vividly. Childhood is full of first experiences, and the first are always remembered the longest and the most affectionately.

Over time, people remember the worst times and the best times in their lives, and the big middle gets forgotten.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 379,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
True, but I do have to memorize a lot of passwords these days...

You can put them in a private journal or something, even though you shouldn’t

Old 10-21-2017, 04:01 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
The 90's saw quite a bit of racial tension, Rodney King then the OJ Simpson murder trial set the stage for what we see today.
Yeah, go back farther.

There was a sweet spot when I was turning from a kid into a young adult.

For me it was between the end of Vietnam and the dawn of MTV.

Most of the 80's were pretty good, but things started going down hill after that.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,206,783 times
When we were kids/young adults and political music played on the radio or MTV we just didn't pay much attention to the message. There was anti-Reagan music in the 80s but I don't know anyone my age who was anti-Reagan and we still liked the rock music coming out at the time from some liberal artists. There was rebellion music but it was just generational angst, not politics.

We watched the hippies be very political in the earlier generation and they seemed angry and confused.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:15 PM

26,562 posts, read 14,434,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Motown was fantastic and great!
and just shortly before this music by a black artist couldn't even be played on a mainstream station.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:20 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Racism.....real racism certainly was not dead....

But it had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

Until Democrats decided to give it a hand up, nurse it back to health and use it as a political weapon.

Ahhh....the good old days....
That seemed to happen around 2008 as a tool to get Obama elected. For 8 years we heard "If you don't like Obama you must be a racist".

Matter of fact that worked so well we still hear it today.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ate better food? Really -- part of the problem was all the stuff in the 60's and 70's. Packed, processed, salty, sweet.

Few people grew up on fresh veggies year round. We had canned foods, other people in my age group remember frozen foods.

Lots of bread, carbohydrates....no accounting for fat content, trans fats, salt......

LOL. Good Lord, do you want to compare obesity rates from the 60's-70's with now? Really? There were 1 or 2 fat kids in my classes when I was growing up. I was good friends with one of them, and he was made fun of often for his weight. Now 75% of the kids are near what he was as a lone oddball in the 70's.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:25 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
I was way little in the late 40's. Everybody was involved in the war effort. Due to the draft we all had uncles, cousins brothers in the war. Then there was the coming home' Industry was humming to provide cars, refrigerators and washing machines that nobody could get for the past few years.

By 1957, jeering crowds lined the road across from the parking lot as minorities walk to class. In my town, a few years after brown v. board things got real political with people doing everything they could to get out of integrated schools. The were warming up for the Civil Rights movement. I guess Leave It To Beaver provided escape for people in denial.

There wrest ins. The 16th Street Baptist church was bombed, killing some little girls in 1963. Then came JFK in 1963, we all saw that on tv. Then came Goodman, Chaney and Schweren in 1964, Malcomb X in 65, MLK in April 1968, then RFK. Some of us saw Bobby shot on live tv. All while this is going on, my favorite candidate was labeled an insane war monger. He lost and we got the Gulf of Tonkin.

While all this was going on, The Feminine Mystique hit the shelves. That started a separate movement that turned some people inward, in denial about that, too. Some still are mad as hell. Uppity women need to hush.

Now comes Viet Nam protest. DH told me if I got arrested, protesting at the ROTC building at Wash U, he would not bail me out of jail.This all went on for years. The picture of the naked napalmed girl running turned the tide. The most heartless warmongers had a hard time denying that.

By the mid 70s things had calmed down in Houston. We were not even concerned about the huge population of undocumented people in Texas building our houses. The only problem was traffic congestion and one third of the drivers in Harris county had no car insurance. Life was good for my kids.

I have never known a time that was not political. IMO, most Americans now consider themselves consumers, not citizens.

Just wait until they discover capitalism does not work for 90% of us.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:36 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
LOL. Good Lord, do you want to compare obesity rates from the 60's-70's with now? Really? There were 1 or 2 fat kids in my classes when I was growing up. I was good friends with one of them, and he was made fun of often for his weight. Now 75% of the kids are near what he was as a lone oddball in the 70's.
Even when my kids were in school there was one fat kid in the school. Maybe one classroom had an active kid. Now, I'm told by school teacher relatives there are about 1/4 special needs, ADHD, etc per class. One teacher needs many teaching skills. But that overweight has to do with no recess or PE, suburban living with no walking.

In the 70s, one of my neighbors made a good living selling tank cars full of corn syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies