Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 07:37 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
In his office with the door closed.

If you're saying that you continued to challenge your commander out in front of the troops, I don't believe you.
That's not what I'm saying; ultimately, whether someone here believes me is irrelevant to me. And, indeed, such behavior is not acceptable as a general matter, but that's true regardless of whether you're military or civilian . . . your civilian boss will be just as likely to chastise you for "challenging" them in front of others. Thus, these attempts at distinctions are a bit puzzling to me.

Ultimately, though, I still repose the question: what makes you think Kelly is a "yes, man?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 07:47 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's not what I'm saying; ultimately, whether someone here believes me is irrelevant to me. And, indeed, such behavior is not acceptable as a general matter, but that's true regardless of whether you're military or civilian . . . your civilian boss will be just as likely to chastise you for "challenging" them in front of others. Thus, these attempts at distinctions are a bit puzzling to me.

Ultimately, though, I still repose the question: what makes you think Kelly is a "yes, man?"
My point is that ultimately when the general leaves the Oval Office and faces the public, he's either going to support the president or say, "I have resigned."

Old 10-23-2017, 07:48 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Are retired Generals subject to being recalled?

My brother may have been out of the Air Force, but he was subject to being recalled for a lot of years.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Agreed. The troubles in the Trump White House are not caused by the generals, they are caused by Trump.

I must agree.

Quote:
The problem is that ultimately the general is a "yes, sir" man with regard to the president. He has lived his life the say way I did: You go into the commander's office and you give him your best advice. When he throws it back at you, you say, "Yes, sir," walk back outside and say to the troops, "This is what the commander wants, and it's a fine idea.

That's been the lot of the military since for at least 4,000 years (even fully documented in the Bible in 2 Samuel 24).
Again, I agree. That's the way it works.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
My point is that ultimately when the general leaves the Oval Office and faces the public, he's either going to support the president or say, "I have resigned."
My point is that such behavior is no different from how a straight up civilian employee of the federal government will behave. There is no difference in that regard. When you are employed and answerable to an individual, you're not going to go out there spewing a narrative counter to said individual. Well, you can do so, but it's pretty clear what will happen to you if you do so.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Let's not staff the White House with tv reality show stars, real estates developers and their families.
Or "community organizers" or "famous wives".

Old 10-23-2017, 10:33 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,455,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Like Ms. Sanders?
White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders warned reporters not to criticize Kelly (or his slander of Wilson), the administration took on the creepy aura of a military junta."
“I think we’re all fair game,” Petraeus said on ABC’s “This Week.” He added: “We, in uniform, protect the rights of others to criticize us … we are fiercely protective of the rights of our Americans to express themselves, even if that includes criticizing us.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009

Old 10-23-2017, 10:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
But generals are the least politicized of anyone who has been in government for a decade or two.
Oh, I STRONGLY disagree. I think the Pentagon is more politicized than ever.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:25 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Unless you're in uniform....

You're retired and in uniform? Really....going through the PX and commissary....

Old 10-23-2017, 01:59 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
So now the left thinks military service should disqualify buoy from serving in the White House

Keep it up lefties
The Leftists are so entertaining - the first articles against Retired Generals joining the Trump Administration began in November 2016 and ramped to full steam in December of 2016. It appears that never in the history of the USA has so many Generals been appointed to an Administration. Some are "the Generals will save us" and some are "the Generals will destroy us". The Leftists are in their usual Spin Zone.

Some of the more recent Articles about President Trump's "Generals"
Trump's general-filled Cabinet — a 'team of allies' — risks groupthink - TheHill - 12/13/16
Trump Has Appointed More Generals in His Cabinet Than Any President Since World War II - Democracy Now - 12/16/16
The Generals In Trump's Cabinet Aren't “Adults In the Room”- Inthesetimes - 3/7/17
The Generals Can't Save Us From Trump - The New York Times - 7/28/17
Military figures are taking over Trump's administration – ThinkProgress - 8/3/17
Too Many Generals In Trump Administration? « Breaking Defense - 8/7/17
Generals Take Over Trump Cabinet -- Not Without Consequences - GlobePost 8/7/17
Military leaders consolidate power in Trump administration -Washington Post - 8/22/17
Why it's dangerous to have so many generals in the Trump Cabinet - Washington Post - 4/17/17
Let’s not staff a White House with generals ever again-Washington Post - 10/22/17

There is another whole group of articles about how the "Generals" are doing Day Care Duty to "save" America.

President Trump Administration

General (Marine Corps) John Kelly retired from Active service in January 2016 -
President's Chief of Staff, formerly Secretary of Homeland Security

General (Marine Corps - 4 star) James Mattis "retired" from Active service in 2013 (forced out by Obama)
Secretary of Defense

Lt General (Army - 3 star) H.R. McMasters still on Active duty
National Security Advisor

One of the things about the Leftists that amuses me the most is the way History begins on the day a Republican President is elected and the Democrats lose power. Looks like President Obama is still leading President Trump in the Flag Officer stakes. Don't you all remember those constant articles about the "danger of the Generals" during the Obama Era??

President Obama Administration

General (Army 4 star) Eric Shinseki - Chief of Staff, US Army 1999-2003 - retired 2003
Secretary of Veteran's Affairs - 5 years, appointed 2009

General (Marine Corps 4 star) James Jones - retired 2007
National Security Advisor - served 2009 - 2010

Admiral (Navy) Dennis Blair - retired 2002
Director of National Intelligence - January 29, 2009 – May 28, 2010

Lt. General (Air Force 3 star) James Clapper
Director on National Intelligence - August 9, 2010 – January 20, 2017

General (Army 4 star) David Petraeus - retired 2011
Director of the Central Intelligence Agency - 2011-2012

General (Marine Corp 4 star) John Allen - retired 2013
Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant 2014-2015
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies