Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 03:22 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

I just know one officer, Lt. Col. Bill Quigley, he is a legend in the Marine Corps.

https://www.dvidshub.net/image/21925...ndidate-school

He happens to be the most loving man I've known. He is so fun to talk to. This guy also has no hatred in his heart, which is amazing. He is definitely a badass for sure. I don't think he is a warhawk at all, but he has very strong opinions how a war should be fought.

I think maybe many generals feel the same way. I don't know, I can only speculate.

I think the power should be balanced. I don't mind retired Generals getting involved with politics. Maybe because they are experienced in the Administration of large groups of people with a defined objective with a mission-oriented structure. But, there are not so many generals. Most U.S. politicians are lawyers, more’s the pity.

Plus, how many is too many? Trump has Mattis, McMaster and Kelly. That is too many?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-23-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 04:37 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Are retired Generals subject to being recalled?

My brother may have been out of the Air Force, but he was subject to being recalled for a lot of years.
By the time full generals retire, they should all be over the regular age limit for recall, which is 55. But there may be a special rule for generals above that.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You're retired and in uniform? Really....going through the PX and commissary....
A. You said it.
B. There are circumstances for a retired person to be in uniform.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Oh, I STRONGLY disagree. I think the Pentagon is more politicized than ever.
Trump claims so too, but I'll bet your opinion is opposite to his.

And "more politicized than ever" may not mean much when in the past a lot of senior officers didn't even vote in order to avoid politics, much less let their political opinions be known.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:48 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
By the time full generals retire, they should all be over the regular age limit for recall, which is 55. But there may be a special rule for generals above that.
What is a "full General"?
What is the general recall age limit....you say 55 but....provided nothing....

Old 10-23-2017, 04:55 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
A. You said it.
No you actually said that people keep the same...retired or not, not me...

Quote:
B. There are circumstances for a retired person to be in uniform.
Yes.......there are, but in the instance we are talking about, you are wrong.....

Lets just say you're a retired General in uniform, and a young 2LT is walking from the PX to his car....and encounters you....the 2LT salutes you.....what do you do?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
There go your claimed military credentials.

Quote:
What is the general recall age limit....you say 55 but....provided nothing....
No, I said that was the "regular age limit for recall" and then said "But there may be a special rule for generals above that."

After making that remark, I looked it up. Here are the codes:

10 U.S. Code § 635: Mandates retirement for O7s not on a promotion list to O8 after 30 years of active commissioned service or 5 years in grade, whichever is later.

10 U.S. Code § 636: Mandates retirement for O8s after 35 years of active commissioned service or 5 years in grade, whichever is later; after 38 years of active commissioned service for O9s; and after 40 years of active commissioned service for O10s.

10 U.S. Code § 1251: Mandatory retirement age is age 62 for all officers other than general or flag officers. Service Secretaries may defer the retirement of health professional officers and chaplains until the age of 68.

10 U.S. Code § 1252: Mandatory retirement age for permanent professors at service schools is age 64.

10 U.S. Code § 1253: Mandatory retirement age for general and flag officers is age 64. Officers in O9 and O10 positions may have retirement deferred until age 66 by the SECDEF or until age 68 by the President.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Lets just say you're a retired General in uniform, and a young 2LT is walking from the PX to his car....and encounters you....the 2LT salutes you.....what do you do?
I'd expect the general to return the salute.

And I've actually saluted a retired Marine 1st Lt in uniform back in the late 70s, and he returned the salute.

Yes, I said "retired Marine 1st Lt." He had been medically retired from combat wounds suffered in Vietnam. Lost and arm, a leg, and most of his face.

I saluted the hell out of him.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
This from a "news" organization known to be hostile to the Administration, and one which is guilty of planting false stories in the past.

I have no problem with Generals on staff. They are far more intelligent than some of the asses that Obama had in his administration.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:34 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
Quote:
Ever hear of a “full bird Colonel?” I’m sure you have and have probably used it. Yet that term is not official, it’s slang. Full General is the same kind of slang to indicate a GO at his or her maximum rank of (currently) 4 stars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies