Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 08:57 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,092,467 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...ls-ever-again/

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 09:01 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
“As we say in the South: all hat, no cattle,” Sanders said of Wilson, an African American who is known for wearing brightly colored cowboy hats.
WaPo with the race card!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,692,053 times
12 Presidents were generals.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:14 PM

39,192 posts, read 27,570,476 times
It depends. Most generals are not necessarily warhawks, so it can be a positive thing.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
I agree 100%

Generals belong at the Pentagon, period. I’ve been saying for years that I don’t like the politicizing of the General Staff. They should only come to the White House to advise, and get sent back to the Pentagon immediately. They shouldn’t be writing policy, or even proposing policy.

Any General working in the executive branch should immediately resign their commission. They shouldn’t be on active duty while running ANY federal agencies that aren’t a part of the Pentagons command structure.

And not just Generals.... all commissioned officers.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Default The 'coup d'état' will not be televised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
From the piece: "Kelly should be replaced by someone who actually understands democratic governance and can deliver bad news and honest criticism to the president."

Agree.

"Conventional wisdom has been telling us that Kelly has created a more disciplined and effective White House. He’s supposed to be taking his shifts for supervision of an erratic, irrational president. I don’t see it."

Me neither.

"Since Kelly’s arrival, Trump has ignited explosive cultural confrontations, failed again to repeal Obamacare and looked thoroughly hapless in his inability to articulate or stick to any position for more than an hour or so. Trump blusters and threatens North Korea; he alarms European allies by threatening to trash the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action. Trump under Kelly’s “day care” still has not filled a slew of top-level posts. Trump is not becoming more competent, more focused, more civil or more respectful of others under Kelly’s tutelage. In fact, he’s getting worse on all four counts. Kelly’s eagerness to defend the president’s unconscionable behavior and Kelly’s own lack of respect for civilian politicians simply feed Trump’s demons."

Agree with this assessment, quite sure there are others who see this as well.

Courage is needed & it's not being demonstrated by the creeping & creepy 'military authoritarians'. Question their authority.

There was a time when American people questioned whether our role was to be the 'policemen of the world', now we seem to have taken on the role as 'enforcers'. Who has benefited?

"It's tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail."

Perhaps the coup d'état' is being televised.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
I wish media outlets would stop using politicians to staff their newsrooms.

Old 10-23-2017, 05:36 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I wish media outlets would stop using politicians to staff their newsrooms.
By replacing them with military authoritarians?

Old 10-23-2017, 05:41 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
By replacing them with military authoritarians?

By replacing them with people who provide the news, not their opinion on the news....

Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,396,512 times
The damage that Trump is doing to the presidency may be irreparable. Not only has Trump totally undermined the moral authority of the presidency, he is the process of destroying its institutional authority.

Rubin's opinion that generals should be barred from serving in civilian capacity has merit if it is aimed by active generals and not retired generals. As I recall, Congress has a law that before a general can serve as Secretary of the DOD, he needed to be retired for five years.

Trump has ceded much authority to his appointed generals. Since Trump has NO concept of civilian control of the military and its importance to our republic, Trump is tearing it at the seams.

I can't honestly say who controls who in the Tumor administration. Does Trump control the generals or the generals Trump?

This should be a concern to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies