Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Trump's tax cuts include huge cuts in Medicare besides the Medicaid cuts.

Guess who loses with Trump's tax plan? (opinion) - CNN
No one knows where the supposed cuts will come from. I doubt if the poor will be the ones who lose out. I would like to see it come from reduced fraud and overcharging.

Medicare spending grew 4.5% to $646.2 billion in 2015, or 20 percent of total NHE.
Medicaid spending grew 9.7% to $545.1 billion in 2015, or 17 percent of total NHE.

Maybe it is time to try and reign in some of these expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The standard liberal whine of tax cuts for the rich meme.

Just like the the term racism, overused and untrue.
I am sure that $473B cut will find it's way back to the poor, it couldn't possibly end up in the hands of the rich.

Do you recall the prior ACA debate where they were going to cut health care to give a tax break to those in the top bracket. I know this time around it will be different, I'm sure it will. LOL

Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am sure that $473B cut will find it's way back to the poor, it couldn't possibly end up in the hands of the rich.

Do you recall the prior ACA debate where they were going to cut health care to give a tax break to those in the top bracket. I know this time around it will be different, I'm sure it will. LOL
The poor take and take and give nothing in return but more demands for free stuff.

The non poor give and give so yeah, they get a break from giving.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:37 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
I have to admit, even I’m surprised that poor white trash who voted for Trump are backing cuts to Medicare and tax credits for the working class to give billions to the richest Americans in tax cuts. Whatever Fox News is doing they are doing it extremely well.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:48 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
Soda is the #1 food stamp purchase.
care to back up that statement with anything? preferably something from the federal government.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:53 AM

What about Medicaid? Yup, 1 trillion slashed from the program over a decade. Where does the cost savings go? To those who least need it, unlike those on Medicaid, who literally need it to survive.

Quote:
Ninety percent of the top 1 percent -- those earning about $900,000 and above in 2027 -- would get a tax cut, averaging $234,050." (It's difficult to calculate the exact percentage of income that would be given just how wide the top tax bracket is.)

And another nonpartisan website, Politifact.com, found that 80% of the GOP tax cuts would benefit the top 1% by the 10th year of the plan.

So, what about the rest of us? Well, in 2018, middle-income households (those earning $50,000 to $90,000 a year) would receive a tax break on average of $660, or 1.2% of their after-tax income. While they would get an initial, tiny tax cut, the numbers would get worse over time: "By 2027, more than one of every four middle-income families would pay more in taxes.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
It seems you know where the cuts are going to be inside of Medicare... I would like to know how you will suffer exactly? Are your premiums going up? Is your coverage getting less? What exactly? Or are you exploding into tantrums without even understanding what is happening? Obama cut 700 billion for Obamacare, have you noticed it in your medicare benefits? Or are you falling for liberal rhetoric.... again....
Except for one thing, the 700 billion were cuts to providers, not beneficiaries and they tightened up on rules that allowed Advantage plans to charge the Government more for patients by claiming they had serious health conditions, now those plans have to substantiate that.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:11 AM

Here are some figures to digest, real numbers to work with.

Quote:

As the Senate narrowly passes a budget bill that clears the path for a historic tax reform, we’ll look at how President Trump’s proposed tax overhaul would shower billions of dollars in tax cuts upon the wealthiest Americans—including President Trump’s family and members of his administration. An analysis by the Center for American Progress Action Fund shows President Trump’s family and Trump’s Cabinet members would, combined, reap a $3.5 billion windfall from the proposed repeal of the estate tax alone. Trump’s plan would cap the tax rate on “pass-through income” at 25 percent—a move that would also shower millions in savings upon millionaires and billionaires. We speak with economist James Henry of the Tax Justice Network and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist David Cay Johnston, whose latest piece is titled “Nine Reasons Trump’s Tax Plan Will Hurt You.”

AMY GOODMAN: We turn to President Trump’s efforts to dramatically rewrite the U.S. tax code, critics slamming the plan, saying it would massively redistribute wealth to the richest 1 percent of Americans—including President Trump and members of his administration. An analysis by the Center for American Progress Action Fund shows President Trump’s family and Trump’s Cabinet members would, combined, reap a $3.5 billion windfall from the proposed repeal of the estate tax alone. The plan also calls for slashing the corporate tax rate from 35 percent down to 20 percent. Earlier this year, Trump proposed cutting the corporate tax rate to as low as 15 percent.

The plan also proposes lowering the tax rate on so-called pass-through income, in which the profits of a business are transferred directly to the business owners. Under the current code, the tax rate on pass-through income varies based on the owner’s income, ranging from as low as 10 percent to as high as 39 percent. Trump’s plan proposes capping the tax rate on pass-through income at 25 percent, a move that would also shower millions in savings upon millionaires and billionaires, including Trump and his family. According to the Center for American Progress Action Fund, capping this tax rate would give Trump’s son-in-law, his senior adviser, Jared Kushner, an annual tax cut of up to $17 million. Based on President Trump’s 2016 financial disclosures, the Center for American Progress estimates Trump himself would receive a $23 million tax cut.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have to admit, even I’m surprised that poor white trash who voted for Trump are backing cuts to Medicare and tax credits for the working class to give billions to the richest Americans in tax cuts. Whatever Fox News is doing they are doing it extremely well.
someone is guilty of repeating the left MSM mantra here.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
"A blueprint for tax reform". Sure, why not cut from the average person and give to the ultra rich?

I don't care who cuts Medicare (the mod moved this to "politics" from the retirement health care forum which is where I posted it)- we would all suffer- including you- whether now or eventually. To me, this is not politics, it's health!!

PS if you think The Daily Signal is unbiased, you are much mistaken. Look it up. It is as biased as they come.
shame it should not have been moved because there is little chance of a real discussion on P&C. and you lose most of the smart people as they will not post on this forum...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies