Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM

52,707 posts, read 34,531,096 times

Advertisements

this is some heads-should-roll stuff here.

Quote:
In writing a report about the cancer risk of glyphosate, a key ingredient in Monsanto’s weed killer Roundup, the World Health Organization (WHO) edited out references to evidence that the pesticide does not cause cancer in animals, Reuters reports in a story published yesterday (October 19).
WHO Cherry-Picked Data on Pesticide, Investigation Finds | The Scientist
Quote:
Last week, The Times reported how the scientist who advised the IARC to classify glyphosate as carcinogenic received dollars 160,000 from law firms suing Monsanto on behalf of cancer victims.
War against chemicals is a shame on science | The Australian
Quote:
It turns out that it was Portier himself, who as chair of an IARC committee in 2014 had proposed that the agency undertake a review of glyphosate in the first place.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/geoffre.../#19984a1d18eb
Quote:
The World Health Organization’s cancer agency dismissed and edited findings from a draft of its review of the weedkiller glyphosate that were at odds with its final conclusion that the chemical probably causes cancer.
One effect of the changes to the draft, reviewed by Reuters in a comparison with the published report, was the removal of multiple scientists’ conclusions that their studies had found no link between glyphosate and cancer in laboratory animals.
Reuters found 10 significant changes that were made between the draft chapter on animal studies and the published version of IARC’s glyphosate assessment. In each case, a negative conclusion about glyphosate leading to tumors was either deleted or replaced with a neutral or positive one.
In glyphosate review, WHO cancer agency edited out 'non-carcinogenic' findings | Reuters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 11:49 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
That's what science is all about these days....An agenda.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's what science is all about these days....An agenda.
all too often, it is.

the timing for this is just delicious. the EU is just about to vote on whether to renew approval for glyphosate for another 10 years.

Glyphosate showdown in Europe this week - Agriland

Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM

23,960 posts, read 15,066,841 times
One of the reason people are so disgruntled these days is they can't figure out which lie to believe.

All sides pay big money to hired guns to say whatever they want.

Public policy is the new way to get rich quick.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:08 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
its sad that politics are heavily influencing scientists and their conclusions. perhaps someone has a grude against monsanto, and this is they way they are going to attack monsanto?

in order for science to be effective, it has to be free of politics. even peer review has to be free of politics.

Old 10-23-2017, 12:12 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
That still doesn't mean you can invest poison, right? Whatever the conclusion is. Then again I don't own stock in Monsanto, so if they do ban it anyway it will only benefit me, right OP?

Old 10-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That still doesn't mean you can invest poison, right?
invest poison?

i'd rather invest in a 401K, but whatever floats your boat..

Quote:
Whatever the conclusion is. Then again I don't own stock in Monsanto, so if they do ban it anyway it will only benefit me, right OP?
how will it benefit you if the EU bans it?

oh, and what a novel idea. let's imply that someone must have investments in Monsanto in order to notice fudged data that makes the WHO look foolish. no one has ever thought of that one before

Old 10-23-2017, 01:42 PM

39,861 posts, read 26,489,397 times
More ignorant, greedy bottom feeders trying to extort money from Monsanto? Can't say I'm surprised.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
More ignorant, greedy bottom feeders trying to extort money from Monsanto? Can't say I'm surprised.
So? Do you own Monsanto stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
invest poison?

i'd rather invest in a 401K, but whatever floats your boat..

how will it benefit you if the EU bans it?

oh, and what a novel idea. let's imply that someone must have investments in Monsanto in order to notice fudged data that makes the WHO look foolish. no one has ever thought of that one before
I meant ingest.

Even so, who cares? Why wouldn't you want LESS poison in the environment, in your food? The only way you can be against that is, sorry, but you have a financial interest in the problem.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
I meant ingest.

Even so, who cares? Why wouldn't you want LESS poison in the environment, in your food? The only way you can be against that is, sorry, but you have a financial interest in the problem.
do you know a better, even less toxic herbicide than glyphosate? if so, i'm all ears.

in the meantime, glyphosate is over 500x less poisonous than vitamin D and 5x less poisonous than the active ingredient in chocolate, so i won't be losing any sleep over it.

https://image.ibb.co/eA42Vm/toxicity_table4.png

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-02-2017 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies