Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should More Murder Suspects Die During Arrests? (please give reasons on thread)
Yes, their trial is an utter waste 15 12.20%
No, we learn a lot about psychology from the trials 0 0%
No, they might be innocent 22 17.89%
No, they might be good people 0 0%
No, no matter what everyone deserves a trial 86 69.92%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
SO?

it isn't a mockery, it's exactly how the system worked for her. She is an example of the system, she did her time and is doing better things. She paid her debt to society and is now trying to better things for those exiting the system, and you begrudge her?
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It doesn't matter what I think of Boudin's sentence.
She was found guilty, was sentenced, did her time, and that's how the law works. She paid the penalty.

Most folks who go to prison get out eventually, no matter what their crime was.

Did I agree with her sentence? No.
But I didn't think the trial was a mockery, either.

Like I said before, if you don't like the system of justice we have here, there are other countries where the justice is not like ours. Choose your place and go be happy at last.
I wonder whether the families of the slain officers agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM

21,131 posts, read 19,707,707 times
No they should not be killed, but I wouldn’t mind if a rope or knife was left behind in their jail cell while a suicidal song plays in continuous loop.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Why do you hate the United States so much, OP?

Old 10-24-2017, 08:47 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Unless there is an immediate threat to maim or kiell the police or more innocncents, no they should stand trial. As much as I wanted to see The one who shot Giffords or the one who shot up the Aurora theater, as soon as they were disarmed, it is wrong to kill them unless there was an immediate threat. This goes beyond race, creed and gender.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:07 PM

716 posts, read 393,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Any police officer killed in the line of duty is a tragedy, but I'm sure their families will take solace knowing that the officers, knew what they signed up for.

Maybe you should propose that more tax cheat suspects die during arrests?

Old 10-24-2017, 09:15 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
I am sure that Officer Steve Baker might have had quite a moral dilemma had he known when he arrested Robert Alton Harris that Harris had just killed his son hours before.

That said, a right to a trial is just as important as all the others.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:43 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
No they should not be killed, but I wouldn’t mind if a rope or knife was left behind in their jail cell while a suicidal song plays in continuous loop.
Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust"?

Old 10-25-2017, 11:25 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
I know we can't officially allow police officers to serve as judge, jury and executioners. The question I have is why more of these people don't perish during a struggle during arrest. Failing that why aren't they mixed with the general prison population or die during an escape attempt? I am not amused by the lengthy imprisonments or, in the case of Manson, the wild, theatrical trials that make a mockery of the court system.
Extrajudicial killings are the worst sort of mockery of the court system.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:30 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
That's why we have the ideal of blind justice, the impersonal, unemotional machinery that upholds the law and doesn't make decisions based on desire for revenge or personal loss. Because once we let the families settle things, we're regressing to where a human life's value is measured in the vindictiveness and violent capacity of the family/tribe/clan. And that sort of flies in the face of the entire "all men are created equal" deal.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:03 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Actually, I believe you have answered the question yourself, in the title of your thread.

A person who has not been convicted is a suspect. I understand that there are those who appear to be utterly guilty, and in some situations, are obviously guilty, but they are still entitled to a trial, if for no other reason than the fact that to deny them one would set a very bad precedent. There have been cases when the "obviously" guilty were later proven to be anything but.

If a shooter or other murderer is killed while the crime is in progress, because the use of deadly force could save a life, that is another story. I would pull the trigger myself. Once the threat is over, though, that's when we have to let the justice system do its job, if we are going to be anything like a civilized society. I realize the system is flawed, but it's a lot better than the alternative.

There are some practical considerations here, too, if the right to a trial does not impress you. People who kill sometimes have accomplices. If the person is killed during an arrest, any information they may have had about those people is lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies