Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So what do you think about these silently supporting.

NFL's free speech history:
2012-Tim Tebow made to remove message from eye black-John 3:16
2013 Brandon Marshall fined for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for mental health disorders
2014 Robert Griffin III forced to turn shirt with"know Jesus, Know Peace"
2015 DeAngelo Williams fined for wearing "find a cure" eye black for breast cancer
2015 William Gay fined for wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic violence
2016 Dallas Cowboys prevented from wearing decals in honor of police officers killed in the line of duty
The NFL has LONG made it known that no one can wear anything that isn't league approved. It has been that way for a LONG time. Going back further than Tebow. Notice all the things you mention are all uniform related in one way or another. (Yes, eye black is considered part of the uniform)

Now, that being said, I think the NFL is ridiculous for doing all of what you have listed. Same way I think they are ridiculous about their celebration penalties and whatnot. It isn't in any way related to the kneeling though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The waiter was still doing his job. He just traded tables.
A player is not on the field the entire game. Is he not doing his job when he is on the bench?
After telling the guy he was a Trump supporter and wouldn't serve him. His job is to keep customers happy, not tell them he doesn't like them and put his work off on someone else.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If you're watching on TV, you are likely not seeing the national anthem.

If you are at the game, you likely have no idea anyone is kneeling.

The claim of "throwing a political viewpoint in your face"...doesn't add up.

And when, again, did kneeling become offensive? There is a reason people have been kneeling NOT sitting...
Exactly!

The only way you would notice is if you were looking for it. So, I guess some people can't just pay attention to the anthem, and instead look for people who are kneeling.... Which would be just as "disrespectful", no?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Haha! I love it! Good for the waiter for execising his “First Amendment Rights”!

...he’ll probably get fired.
True, a poor waiter will get fired in a second. How dare he not serve the prince of baseball!!

I see the prince is already outraged about his peasant's behavior.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:16 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
[quote=ATG5;49917711]
Quote:
Huh? Did you read the article? The waiter refused to serve them, so the patrons asked and got a new waiter. So he did not do his job.
Maxwell, who was dining with a local councilman, reportedly complained to management and a new server took his order.
The waiter was still working. He just didnt wait that table.

Quote:
That would be the equivalent of an athlete refusing to play, so the coach has to bench them in favor of another player.
Players are swapped out all the time for various reasons. They are still on the job.

Quote:
And verbally accosting a patron is not peaceful.
This is your definition of verbally accosting?

"You're the guy who took the knee? I voted for Trump and I stand for everything he stands for."

Quote:
Consequences in response to peacefully protesting?

Lol. Trump supporters are something else.
Consequences for protesting on the job. I dont know why that is so hard to understand. You seem to understand it when its the waiter who is protesting.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What about them? Are there rules about uniforms? That's why they were fined. Stupid but whatever.
The NFL fined or prevented these players from peacefully supporting their personal causes while they allow other players to peacefully support their personal causes.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Or maybe I am one of those crazy people that believe you should do the job you are being paid to do.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The baseball player did his job, the waiter did not. If I refused to serve a customer where I work, I would be, at the very least, reprimanded for it. It doesn't matter if they ended up getting served by someone else in my department or not.
The waiter continued to work. Still on the job. Not uncommon to refuse a table.
I work waiting tables. If I was uncomfortable waiting on a particular patron or table that table would be given to someone else. Happens all the time.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:21 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
Quote:
After telling the guy he was a Trump supporter and wouldn't serve him. His job is to keep customers happy, not tell them he doesn't like them and put his work off on someone else.
So, are you saying people shouldn't use their workplace as a personal platform?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:23 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
The baseball player played the game, did he not?

They both have freedom of speech - I don't see anyone challenging that.
It's not freedom of speech, that only to keep the government off you, you boss can fired the hell out of you, your neighbor can knock you into next week, but the government can't touch you

Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
It only draws the attention of people who are incapable of looking past it. You know, small minded people who can't just pay attention to the anthem and not the kneeling player?
It has nonetheless drawn a considerable amount of negative attention. So your opinion seems to be of no matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies