Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
so what? People can speak whatever they want within their own homes. Or should we spy on them to make sure they only speak a certain language & adhere to basic propaganda?

In public it is preferable to be able to communicate in English, but at home, it is not my business.
This is suppose to be America, land of the free....It's funny how the group claiming that they want
less Government and more Freedom is wanting to stick their nose in everyone else's business. What people do in the privacy of their own home is their business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So what? I could careless what language someone speaks. All I ask is that they work hard, obey the law, and make their contributions to society. The language someone speaks in their home or among their friends is none of my business.

BTW: I guarantee most of these people are bilingual.
It really is no one else's business what people do inside of their own homes.
Once again, I fear it is all about control -wanting to control other people and one group trying to force
it's ideas, and morality agenda down on others. How can you feel this way....aren't we the land of the free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have always said I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home. However, it is an indication that they have no interest in making English their primary language of usage. Just saying.
My Grandmother came from Germany in the early 1900's, she couldn't speak a word of English when she
came here, but she took night classes in English until she learned. My Grandfather's family had came to
America in the 1800's, and they settled in a little Indiana Town with a town full of German Immigrants....I remember my Grandfather subscribed to the local newspaper even when he moved away
and I remember as a child in the 1960's, he was shocked for the first time they had started printing their local newspaper in English (It had always been printed in Germany before this...even though they were in America, and even though they all spoke English also) My point being they were all bilingual and it was until three or four generations had passed, before they preferred English over German. (Yet they were true Americans in Every Sense of the word....My
Great, great Grandfather fought in the Civil war....his sons fought in World WAR I, the next generation in World war II, they loved their country and they were proud Patriots....but sometimes they still spoken
German at home. Did that really make them any less American?
And even when that little town printed it's newspaper in German, you should have visited there on
the Fourth of July...the whole town decked out in Red, White and Blue..America flags everywhere, the whole town turning out to celebrate. Classic Americana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Quoted for truth.

Why does it matter what language one speaks in the confines of their own home? This is just more right wing hypocrisy when it comes to individualism. These folks are supposed to be for smaller government and increased liberty, yet they want the government to rush in and enforce what type of language one speaks at dinner.

We are seeing the right wing's true colors -- more authoritarian as the years go by. There is really nothing libertarian about these guys.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:43 PM

1,199 posts, read 638,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
You will find a lot of your assumptions debunked rather quickly.
That is precisely why the people making those assumptions will never venture outside their bubbles. Cognitive dissonance is a helluva defense mechanism, and selection bias is the comfy pillow that helps racists sleep at night, knowing that white is white, brown is brown, and never the twain shall meet.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Done. Can ATG answer the question now?
Yes. Trump sup...certain people in this country only complain about brown people who speak foreign languages, specifically Hispanics.

I never hear any complaints about people who speak German, French, Italian, etc., in public. Pretty much just Spanish.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And? What's the problem with that?
I don't care what language they speak at home. The problem is that they shouldn't be here speaking any language at all. The government manufactured an immigration tidal wave to dilute the political power of the natives. That is terribly, terribly wrong.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The OP lives in the Phoenix metro in Arizona.
OP gets around. He used to live in Nebraska and he also used to live in Colorado (which he hates since it's a blue state). Apparently he'd prefer to live in N. Dakota the way he always goes on about it. He's got a thing for rundown prairie states so long as they're red.

OP is also really trolling the board this pm.

We get it already. Crime is ALWAYS out of control in blue states or cities. You hate homeless people and anyone who speaks Spanish. You can stop now.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Actually the OP LIED. That is not what the Census Bureau says at all. The Census Bureau states that 43.9% speak Languages other than English at home. That doesn't mean they don't speak English at home, plenty of people can and do speak more than one language in their home.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 PM

63 posts, read 25,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And? What's the problem with that? I'm not gonna stop speaking Spanish in my house, or among other Spanish speakers just to make some white guy somewhere that has never heard of me comfortable

Yasss they are so upset because people don't conform. I speak 3 languages French English and Twi. I speak French and Twi in my house with my family. I'm not changing that. Not my fault the average American cant speak another language.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Americans overwhelmingly speak English. If Californians want a large minority of people living in their state who don't speak English, it is OK with me.
But we know that they don't want that. They voted to prevent this (Prop 187), and the courts -- Judge Pfaelzer specifically -- did their tribal duty and gave the people of California the middle finger. And the courts gave the people of Arizona the middle finger. And the people of Farmer's Branch, Texas, and all Americans anywhere who have the temerity to attempt to engage in self-government.

This Babel was imposed on Californians against their will. And it's being imposed on all of the rest of us against OUR will. The only difference is that California feels the effects first and most forcefully because it has the misfortune of sharing a border with Mexico and being on the coast closest to Asia.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yes. Trump sup...certain people in this country only complain about brown people who speak foreign languages, specifically Hispanics.

I never hear any complaints about people who speak German, French, Italian, etc., in public. Pretty much just Spanish.
And rightly so. The Germans, French, Italians, etc., weren't imported by the government to vote against the natives.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I grew up in a home and a neighborhood where English was not the first language. Both of my siblings and I went to college, have/had good careers. I retired at age 50; my oldest brother at age 52 and my one brother still works because he wants to, not because he has to. We have all traveled the world, including living outside the US for extended periods.

We ARE the American dream. I would not want to deprive other immigrants from this life. Those that would deny the American dream to others are selfish, stupid and often married to their own first cousins.
Please send me $875,000. It would really help me achieve my dream, thanks!

If you don't we'll all know you're married to your first cousin.

I'll give you 10 days and then I'll report back to the group on your selfishness, stupidity, and marital status!

How does that sound?

--

Since that presumably went way over your head, the point is that this is our country, we built it, and it has a tremendous value. Citizenship in this country is worth about a million dollars, and it comes at the expense of current citizens, whose citizenship share value and voting power are diluted by every new immigrant.

Of course, it's selfish to try to hold on to what you built and own, but it''s FAR more selfish (and wrong) to do what you encourage. You are encouraging people to come and take something that doesn't belong to them.

In a contest between "selfish" people defending their rights to what they created and "selfish" people who want to take what those other "selfish" people created, who are the good guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies