Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:35 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times

Advertisements

The urban core of St. Louis definitely has a problem with violence and disorder, but while it is locally Democratic, the surrounding state of Missouri is fully under Republican control now in 2017. Feasible solutions are likely going to require cooperation and commitment from both parties, which is sadly difficult to come by these days. Pointing fingers at the opposition is easy, but simply leads to entrenchment of the status quo and many innocent people in the disadvantaged areas end up as the victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Sadly, the people won't consider strong leadership that will keep them safe and reduce crime.

The Democrats of course will bring up New York City and it's low crime rate but it is a very rare exception to the rule where anything less than a six-figure yearly income will likely render one homeless.

I pray that the Republicans protect America through gerrymandering and courts appointments from the Democratic party and their crony, corrupt politicians that want to turn America into a third world country.

Democrats just can't be trusted to take the security of Americans seriously.

Homicide tally at 160 in St. Louis, six more than this time last year | Law and order | stltoday.com

Two homicides and two other shootings Friday night and Saturday morning | FOX2now.com

Couple shot to death near stolen motorcycle in Carondelet neighborhood of St. Louis | Law and order | stltoday.com

East St. Louis has more crime in the Metro East. So why does it have fewer police officers? | Crime/Courts | thesouthern.com

St. Louis is already up to 164 homicides this year and East. St Louis has had 32 homicides.
I don't know what happened to the Dems, I do hope they regain their senses where public safety is concerned though.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:29 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
We even have a few liberals calling for Stop and Frisk. The truth is, the support for stop and frisk is based on fear. It is based on the feeling of "we're willing to give up essential liberties for temporary security". And we known what Benjamin Franklin had to say about that.

And some of the same persons who would only call for Constitutional rights on the 2nd Amendment would g against it. Stop and First could violate both the 2nd and 4th Amendments if some people allowed for it.
I don't disagree

Old 10-26-2017, 11:37 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I don't know what happened to the Dems, I do hope they regain their senses where public safety is concerned though.
Minneapolis, Seattle, San Jose, Boston, Denver, Sacramento, Honolulu, Columbus(Ohio), Portland, all are Democratic run, none of those cities have sky high murder rates like St. Louis, Baltimore, or Newark. Newark and Jersey City are right across from each other. Both have similar numbers of people. Jersey City's murder rate is 1/3 what Newark's murder rate is. Both are Democratic cities.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:44 AM

72,977 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't disagree
There are those who are just itching to implement a police state. And then there are those who just want to vent their own partisan rant. In this case, it's both. We can find plenty of Democratic run areas that do not have high murder rates.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:14 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
He main problem here is heir are no truly Republican cities to compare with to democrat cities. I seriously doubt an republicans controlled city. Key word here is city and not suburb would do better than the Democrats are. In fact the only real deterrent for murder rate it seems is wealth hence D.C and Atlanta’s relatively low murder rate for their high black populations.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,764,147 times
St Louis is not Democrat controlled. It is controlled by the Progressive Party now. They are not an official party in the state of Missouri (and never will be because they cannot get enough votes in the statewide governor election), so they have to run for office as Democrats, but they are registered with the Progressive Party Caucus.
You can read about the here:
https://www.facebook.com/MDPprogressives/

They have been in a battle with traditional Democrats, and though they narrowly lost the mayoral race (Tishura Jones was their candidate), they now dominate all the other offices in the city and have for a while.

One huge difference between Democratic run cities like Seattle versus cities like St Louis is whether traditional Democrats or progressive Democrats are in charge. The progressives are strong in Seattle (known as the People's Party caucus there), but they still do not have anywhere close to the control progressives have in midwest Democratic cities like St Louis.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:02 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
It seems like the high homicide rate is an unsolvable problem for St. Louis. The state of Missouri had to relinquish control of the city police force to St. Louis in 2013 by the vote of the people. I voted for it because I thought local authorities would know better how to enforce their ordinances. The murder rate was high before the switch and it still is; so, there obviously is no simple solution.

I wish there was, because it's a nice place to visit and to live.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
There are those who are just itching to implement a police state. And then there are those who just want to vent their own partisan rant. In this case, it's both. We can find plenty of Democratic run areas that do not have high murder rates.
giggle.... what you cant find is any of the really bad places run by republicans.

I tell you what I want to do. I want to take the 50 worst zip codes in the country. then get with the community leaders, figure out how they want to work thru the issue.

then I want heavy "policing" that looks very different. buy in from the community leaders, so that those picked up on criminal charges for everything but murder or violence against a truly innocent would be put into a system of education/training toward gainful employment. once completed their record would be expunged so they don't have felony convictions on their record.

so while I don't fit the typical republican view on the issue, I sure am willing to recognize, democrats have run these places into the ground....

Old 10-27-2017, 08:09 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,604,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
giggle.... what you cant find is any of the really bad places run by republicans.

I tell you what I want to do. I want to take the 50 worst zip codes in the country. then get with the community leaders, figure out how they want to work thru the issue.

then I want heavy "policing" that looks very different. buy in from the community leaders, so that those picked up on criminal charges for everything but murder or violence against a truly innocent would be put into a system of education/training toward gainful employment. once completed their record would be expunged so they don't have felony convictions on their record.

so while I don't fit the typical republican view on the issue, I sure am willing to recognize, democrats have run these places into the ground....
You are very naïve Ferd. Cities tend to skew Democrat. Cities tend to have higher crime rates. Just because those two things coexist, doesn't mean one causes the other. Cities have more opportunity for crime. They have more poverty. They simply have more people in a closer proximity. There is ALWAYS going to be more crime in cities, regardless of who is running them. To think otherwise is just ignorant.

To take it a step further, why don't we look at states with the highest crime rates, versus how they voted in 2016, shall we?

Most Dangerous
Louisiana- Republican
Alaska- Republican
Tennessee- Republican
Delaware- Democrat
Nevada- Democrat
Arkansas- Republican
Missouri- Republican
Florida- Republican
South Carolina- Republican
Arizona- Republican

Safest
Vermont- Democrat
Maine- Democrat
New Hampshire- Democrat (Technically, but was an even split more or less)
Idaho- Republican
New Jersey- Democrat
Virginia- Democrat
Connecticut- Democrat
Rhode Island- Democrat
Wyoming- Democrat

If you notice, most of the dangerous states are Republican, and most of the safe ones are Democrat. These stats are just as meaningful as to who is the mayor of a city or a governor. If you think a city is "run into the ground by Democrats", then you must assume the states above are a result of how people vote too? Both are equally stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies