Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
When anything at all is done to Bill Clinton about his entire life being publicly funded serial predation of women, I'll pay attention to a 93 year old in a wheelchair copping a feel.

When anything at all is done to Harvey Weinstein about his entire life being privately funded serial predation of women, I'll pay attention to a 93 year old in a wheelchair copping a feel.

Until then, GHWB copping a feel doesn't make the Give_A_Damn meter so much as twitch.
You just gave me a little hope.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 AM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
You just gave me a little hope.
So, if we are to understand you correctly, you are saying that you're looking forward to being a "dirty old man"? Don't you understand that nobody likes them? They're creeps and are avoided like the plague.

I would hope you'd have higher aspirations for your life.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
When anything at all is done to Bill Clinton about his entire life being publicly funded serial predation of women, I'll pay attention to a 93 year old in a wheelchair copping a feel.

When anything at all is done to Harvey Weinstein about his entire life being privately funded serial predation of women, I'll pay attention to a 93 year old in a wheelchair copping a feel.

Until then, GHWB copping a feel doesn't make the Give_A_Damn meter so much as twitch.
All these things should more than twitch your "give_a_damn meter" because without people recognizing these issues women face in society and how wrong it is no matter what, whether people are ultimately punished or not, things will never change and we'll still have people like many in this thread thinking that 93 year olds can grab women's butts just because they're 93 and that they can't possible commit sexual assault from a wheelchair.

I'm not trying to harp on what GHWB did here, realistically he is very old and in poor health and nothing will be done about this except maybe lawsuits, which will probably settle, I'm just addressing the problematic attitudes people have on this situation and others like it.

It's alarming how many people think this can't possibly be a sexual assault or that the women should just get out of the way and keep their mouths shut, or that men so old should get away with it because they're old. Society won't change if we keep hanging onto these attitudes. Maybe it's a lost cause trying to explain what is and isn't appropriate at any age to the older generations, but we can change the attitudes for younger ones. No one should grow up thinking that once you hit a certain age or health status, groping women becomes okay, yet that's the attitude some are promoting here.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:28 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
All these things should more than twitch your "give_a_damn meter" because without people recognizing these issues women face in society and how wrong it is no matter what, whether people are ultimately punished or not, things will never change and we'll still have people like many in this thread thinking that 93 year olds can grab women's butts just because they're 93 and that they can't possible commit sexual assault from a wheelchair.

I'm not trying to harp on what GHWB did here, realistically he is very old and in poor health and nothing will be done about this except maybe lawsuits, which will probably settle, I'm just addressing the problematic attitudes people have on this situation and others like it.

It's alarming how many people think this can't possibly be a sexual assault or that they women should just get out of the way and keep their mouths shut, or that men so old should get away with it because they're old. Society won't change if we keep hanging onto these attitudes. Maybe it's a lost cause trying to explain what is and isn't appropriate at any age to the older generations, but we can change the attitudes for younger ones. No one should grow up thinking that once you hit a certain age, groping women becomes okay, yet that's the attitude some are promoting here.
I am not excusing anything. I am saying when the world feels like being logically consistent, I'll start paying attention to their arguments.

Bill Clinton used the Arkansas state troopers to assist his predations, but no biggie. Weinstein made a career of predation, harassment and blackmail, but no biggie. Roman Polanski rapes an adolescent, but no biggie. Seems like being "in" with the liberal and Hollywood elite forgives many sins. But let a Republican cop a feel, and now, all of a sudden, it is important that even the smallest infractions be given the most serious attention.

It's a logically inconsistent and totally partisan double standard. So like I said, when the world feels like being logically consistent, I'll begin listening to their shrieks of despair. Until then, more of the hypocritical partisan game of gotcha.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
So, if we are to understand you correctly, you are saying that you're looking forward to being a "dirty old man"? Don't you understand that nobody likes them? They're creeps and are avoided like the plague.

I would hope you'd have higher aspirations for your life.
Lets try it again.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
I am not excusing anything. I am saying when the world feels like being logically consistent, I'll start paying attention to their arguments.

Bill Clinton used the Arkansas state troopers to assist his predations, but no biggie. Weinstein made a career of predation, harassment and blackmail, but no biggie. Roman Polanski rapes an adolescent, but no biggie. Seems like being "in" with the liberal and Hollywood elite forgives many sins. But let a Republican cop a feel, and now, all of a sudden, it is important that even the smallest infractions be given the most serious attention.

It's a logically inconsistent and totally partisan double standard. So like I said, when the world feels like being logically consistent, I'll begin listening to their shrieks of despair. Until then, more of the hypocritical partisan game of gotcha.
I'm not accusing YOU or excusing anything, but have you seen some of the posts here? People's attitudes on this are just disgusting.

You're trying to make this about politics when it shouldn't be. All that's happening here is women are coming forward, like they have about Clinton, Weinstein, etc., and people are discussing it. Nothing will happen with Bush, just like nothing happened with Clinton and apparently, nothing is happening with Weinstein. I don't see the issue you're seeing. There has been outrage for all of these people, and equally, nothing really has been or will be done about them. If anything, people are going easier on Bush due to his age.

I think that Hollywood is incredibly hypocritical but this isn't about them or Weinstein. GENERALLY there is an issue with men, especially men in power, in any industry, sexually assaulting or harassing women. This is a problem no matter who you are or what side of the political spectrum you're on. The problem clearly persists partly because of people's attitudes on these situations, and whether anything will actually be done about it (like Weinstein). But at the end of the day, ALL allegations of sexual assault against anyone, but especially multiple allegations against public, powerful people, are equally alarming and people should take issue with all of them, because it's part of a culture we have in this country where people think it's okay and they can get away with it.

They will keep thinking these things unless we show outrage and speak out for all situations (which I see happening). We need to force attitude changes in society. We can't pick and choose what is and isn't appropriate or what is and isn't really bad, or start ranking incidents, because it's all inappropriate and all bad.

It's as simple as this - you don't touch anyone in sexual regions without their consent. It is always inappropriate. No matter who you are, how old you are, where you are, no matter what the woman being touched did or didn't do. It's never okay. People need to recognize this universally, and apply it to everyone. There are few exceptions, and any excuses like "he has dementia" only go so far.

I think that Bush comes from a different time when this wasn't seen the same way as it is today. Like I said, I'm not trying to harp on him and I don't think he should be charged or anything like that, and he probably really didn't mean anything bad by it. And it's really too late in his life to try to teach him otherwise, same with others his age. Honestly. BUT moving forward, we need to push the idea to others that this actually isn't okay and shouldn't be tolerated any longer. Once Bush's generation dies off, I hope to see change, because a lot has changed in society since the time he grew up and how he used to see the world around him. Women have a completely different place in society today than what he was used to for roughly half his life, maybe more, and what he thinks is appropriate or okay, and those his age as well, is really no longer okay.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:52 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
I accept the family's explanation and apology. Nothing to see here, move along.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:56 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,623,969 times
@JerseyGirl415 - I am a devout voluntaryist libertarian who grew up in a single mother household with a sister for a sibling. Add it all up, and I might be literally the very last male in America who would excuse anyone making any sort of an unwanted sexual advancement towards anyone. I abhor any initiation of force on anyone for any reason, and cherish the non-aggression principle as if it were Scripture.

My internal logic on the matter is absolutely consistent. I think no amount of power, popularity, position and/or wealth puts anyone above the NAP and respect for natural individual rights. And I am not arguing to excuse based on degree.

I am merely saying that like most hot button issues, the shrieks of the vox populi are wildly inconsistent and fundamentally hypocritical, and almost always along partisan lines. Such is the case here. Since wild inconsistency and partisan myopia are devoid of reason, I make no attempt to have a reasonable discussion with unreasonable people.

If you are someone who posits that all sexual assaults should be punished, and the degree of the assault should dictate the degree of punishment (as in Clinton and Weinstein would be serving life sentences given the sheer volume of their assaults, while the "cop a feel" folks would would get something lighter, comparable to petty and grand larceny, or different degrees of murder), then cool, we can have a logically consistent discussion. I am in that camp. But our society punishes tax evasion harder than it does rape and sexual assault, so the consistency in the larger population is, uhm...flawed

Old 10-27-2017, 11:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Daily mail on line, wow, I bet they have all their facts straight and I bet they are not at all biased. Am I right? This is about as nutty as anything I have read. I can claim anything, so can you, but that doesn't make it even one inch correct. At least in my book it doesn't.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:02 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
he should not be grabbing women's butts but she could have immediately defended herself and gone Rambo on his azz, perhaps pushed him and his chair into the orchestra pit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies