Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ker-in-between

Interesting article. I put it in here as it is a controversy. Please move mods if necessary.

My take is although we have more medications and treatments for people, many cannot afford treatment. That along with more obesity is actually reversing the longevity trend or at least holding it steady.

Any thoughts?
75% of us are overweight/ obese. Any wonder why the US spends more on healthcare than the rest of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 08:01 AM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ker-in-between

Interesting article. I put it in here as it is a controversy. Please move mods if necessary.

My take is although we have more medications and treatments for people, many cannot afford treatment. That along with more obesity is actually reversing the longevity trend or at least holding it steady.

Any thoughts?
You'll see the age decreasing over time. Big Pharma and the medical machine have joined hands to make the profits #1. Medications with dangerous side effects are passed out like candy, and medical testing, often harmful, is promoted to pay for the equipment. Surgeries for the slightest little thing are very common.

Deaths by big pharma: Pharma Death Clock

Medical errors are the 3rd greatest cause of death after heart disease and cancer: Only Heart Disease And Cancer Exceed Medical Errors As Causes Of Death : Shots - Health News : NPR

Sadly, many children are now suffering the serious consequences of medications taken by the parents or by the children themselves.

Obesity is a MAJOR issue. They like to say it is "genetics", but did you ever see a photos of the late 1800s and early 1900s?

People must take personal responsibility for their health. People no longer take personal responsibility for anything.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:06 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You'll see the age decreasing over time. Big Pharma and the medical machine have joined hands to make the profits #1. Medications with dangerous side effects are passed out like candy, and medical testing, often harmful, is promoted to pay for the equipment. Surgeries for the slightest little thing are very common.

Deaths by big pharma: Pharma Death Clock

Medical errors are the 3rd greatest cause of death after heart disease and cancer: Only Heart Disease And Cancer Exceed Medical Errors As Causes Of Death : Shots - Health News : NPR

Sadly, many children are now suffering the serious consequences of medications taken by the parents or by the children themselves.

Obesity is a MAJOR issue. They like to say it is "genetics", but did you ever see a photos of the late 1800s and early 1900s?

People must take personal responsibility for their health. People no longer take personal responsibility for anything.
If anything, Big Pharma extends the life of the masses well beyond the natural outcomes of lifestyle choices.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:08 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
I posted this in the retirement thread on the same topic but here it is again.

A life expectancy of 87.6 years or whatever means nothing. How much of that is spent in a nursing home or being disabled? Millions of people still die in their 60s and 70s. That life expectancy is an average from birth to death. It has nothing to do with you personally. It probably has more to do with fewer babies and children dying than old people living longer.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:40 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
apparently you haven't lived all that long or you would see the difference in life today and 50 or so years ago. Let me add, people couldn't afford good health care,especially seniors 60 years ago as much as they can now. They didn't have medicare for one thing and add to that advanced medical technology and we do live, not only longer but healthier and we are much more active. I will agree with you on the obesity issue. Still there are a lot of people over weight, yet healthy and enjoying life at 80 plus. I remember when the average life expectancy was about 67 for women and 65 for men.Check the average now?

Don't believe everything you read and check out the source.
hmm...well if you READ the article , it was just saying year to year their was a decrease. NO KIDDING we live longer now than 50 years or so ago. The article that you clearly did not read had nothing to do with that.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:45 AM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Lifespan is a combination of genetics and lifestyle choices. The former you have no control over, and the latter you have complete control over. You own yourself. If you feel like living to 90+ and your genetics will allow for it, then I recommend making good lifestyle choices to accommodate that amount of longevity.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:56 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Who wants to live into their 90s? It looks absolutely horrible. I think some people are just overly afraid to die.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:18 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Is it really that important for any of us living older? I think that has to do with what people possess. It is in the mind of the value of our life. In general most people would agree is better to live longer, but if you really think through it, as you get older, your body starts to deplete (of course there's exception, but I'm talking about in general term), and you can no longer maintain your blood and flesh. On top of that, consciousness might be down to near zero, then what is the point to live older? Is sad to think that all of us will eventually get there one day, but is the reality. Not trying to be negative, but be realistic.

So, instead of thinking how long we can live, why not think about what we can do to contribute to the society we live in. Even a small step to make another person's life better or easier is a solution that we can all do. Lend a hand, give out some good and encourage word, make small donation from time to time as you deem appropriate, etc....

I know this is totally off topic of what the post was intended for, but I want people to know, if you live longer but does nothing to contribute to the society, what good does it make you?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:28 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Who wants to live into their 90s? It looks absolutely horrible. I think some people are just overly afraid to die.
Healthy 89-year-olds?

Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Healthy 89-year-olds?
Why not?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies