Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 06:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times

Advertisements

I have always thought Carter was a nice person. Was he an effective President? I think so in some ways. But he seems as just a plain nice person.
It's nice to see a last President talk normal without attacking others. And who is still willing to put their life at risk for our Country.
Article is a little long, just part of it below.

"Jimmy Carter: 'Media Have Been Harder on Trump Than Any Other President"

Jimmy Carter: 'Media Have Been Harder on Trump Than Any Other President' | Fox News

Former President Jimmy Carter broke away from his own party, coming to President Donald Trump's defense saying, "the media have been harder on Trump than any other president." "I think they feel free to claim that Trump is mentally deranged and everything else without hesitation."

,Carter also aligned himself with Trump on the issue of whether or not football players should stand while the national anthem is being played before games.

also pushed back against one of the prevailing narratives Democrats and liberal-leaning media outlets have pushed in the days following Trump's astonishing Election Day victory: whether or not the Russians affected voting outcomes. In addition, Carter said he wasn't bothered particularly with Trump's desire to cultivate a stronger and more diplomatic relationship with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Noting that he and his wife, Rosalynn, both voted for Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) over Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton during the primaries, Carter didn't have many kind words to offer the Clintons. When The Times' Maureen Dowd compared the Carter Center to the Clinton Foundation, Carter bristled.

"Rosie and I put money in the Carter Center. We never take any out," Carter noted.

Carter said, "I don't care if [Obama] gets rich or Clinton gets rich" earning hundreds of thousands of dollars per speeches they give, he appeared to frown on making money that way.

Carter knocked Obama on his foreign policy as president, saying that Obama "made some very wonderful statements, in my opinion, when he first got in office, and then he reneged on that." Although the former president said that Trump may be "escalating" a negative image of the U.S. among the rest of the world, Carter argued, "but I think that precedes Trump."

Saying that Obama "refused" to talk to North Korea and push for a solution to the nuclear crisis, Carter offered some approval for Trump's more direct and forceful approach. Carter even offered to help Trump by going to North Korea himself to engage in diplomatic relations.

"I would go, yes," Carter said. "I'm afraid, too, of a situation ... I don't know what they'll do. Because they want to save their regime."

Carter said that he spoke with Trump's national security adviser, Lt. Gen. H. R. McMaster, earlier in the year.

"I told him that I was available if they ever need me," Carter said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 12:11 PM

5,166 posts, read 4,938,673 times
I hope Pres. Trump does use Pres. Carter for diplomacy. While he may not be know as being one of our more effective presidents in recent years, I do believe that he is still well respected by the international community. Plus, he's better than using Dennis Rodman.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:39 PM

716 posts, read 393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I hope Pres. Trump does use Pres. Carter for diplomacy. While he may not be know as being one of our more effective presidents in recent years, I do believe that he is still well respected by the international community. Plus, he's better than using Dennis Rodman.
Using Carter for diplomacy is as likely as Trump admitting Russia attacked us.

Carter lost all my admiration and respect after I heard he admitted voting for Bernie. It was people like him who're responsible for the fiasco our country faces. He may be proud of himself for taking the high road, but the practical negative result should make him embarrassed and ashamed...

Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Agreed

Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Using Carter for diplomacy is as likely as Trump admitting Russia attacked us.

Carter lost all my admiration and respect after I heard he admitted voting for Bernie. It was people like him who're responsible for the fiasco our country faces. He may be proud of himself for taking the high road, but the practical negative result should make him embarrassed and ashamed...
I think he may just partner up with Pres. Carter. Pres Trump is a business man and that has its advantages.

Carter voting for Bernie at first didn't sit well with me either.
But then something could be said that he saw what Hillary and the Clintons were all about. Which to me is a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies