Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2017, 04:35 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,979,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
Did you have some sort of written contract with Equifax, one which contained an arbitration clause?

I wouldn't think so. As a credit reporting agency, they ended up with your identity data by means largely outside of your control. You probably had no express written agreement with them at all. Thus, if you suffered damages as a result of mal/mis/nonfeasance on the part of Equifax, I don't see how this legislation affects 1) your ability to join in a class action against EFX or 2) suing EFX yourself for damages, including for recovery of attorney's fees and costs of suit.

Looks like you got yourself all worked up over nothing, bless your little heart.
This was noted......I DO NOT know if it's factual as I've not looked into it.

Equifax screws up. Equifax sends out a notification that people can long into a website to see if they have been affected. In the fine print is your agreement to not sue by checking to see if Equifax screwed you over or not.

People upset over getting their financial information hacked are not going to read every little line when they probably expect Equifax to try and make this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 04:45 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,678,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And people think he would be better than Trump.
I don't think so. If the choice is to have Pence as prez, I would prefer to see trump stay in office until he loses the election in 2020. Of course, that is only if someone can keep him from actually using nukes, keep him surrounded by Mueller, et al, and have him as an impotent figurehead who accomplishes nothing. A bonus would be if he succeeded in splitting the republican party and lost control of congress while he was at it. On the other hand, I am dismayed and disgusted by his behavior, so it is a case of the frying pan or the fire.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,762,888 times
Quote:
And people think he would be better than Trump.
He likely won't start World War III. Anything else can be undone under the next President. That's the sole reason I would prefer Pence.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,608,335 times
Quote:
Dire I tell you, dire.

A lot of people had better answers. Wall Street wanted no part of those answers though and Wall Street runs things.

I remember arguing that GM simply needed to go through a bankruptcy. It was argued that things would be "dire" if that happened. It did happen.
Hard to know what you mean here. but if you are implying Obama did not help them then you are very wrong. It was the Obama admin that financed the bankruptcy and the USA made a very nice profit out of the stake they took. if you wanted to show a better answer you picked the wrong case to look at.

as to the people having "better answers" you have not presented one and neither did anyone else in 2009-2012....

Old 10-25-2017, 04:58 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,608,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
When an American making $40,000 a year is wronged by a large corporation for something like selling them medications that killed a family member that American does not have the financial resources to sue the corporation and their teams of attorneys.

The only way regular Americans can effectively sue large corporations is by class action lawsuits where many regular Americans come together as a group and combine their financial resources to take on a multi-billion dollar corporation and their teams of attorneys

Class Action Cases - FindLaw

You say "We are a nation of INDIVIDUALS" but I bet you have no problem with a large corporation having 100 lawyers working on a case against one regular American, but if 100 regular Americans get together to sue a large corporation (then you cry individualism and it becomes wrong and un-American.)
great post.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,027,930 times
Quote:

This was noted......I DO NOT know if it's factual as I've not looked into it.

Equifax screws up. Equifax sends out a notification that people can long into a website to see if they have been affected. In the fine print is your agreement to not sue by checking to see if Equifax screwed you over or not.

People upset over getting their financial information hacked are not going to read every little line when they probably expect Equifax to try and make this right.
A person whose identity data may have been compromised by EFX didn't waive their rights to participate in a class action merely by checking the website to see if they were among those affected by the data breach.

Now, if said person clicked on an offer for credit monitoring by EFX elsewhere on the website, they may have been asked to agree to a consumer services contract that contained an arbitration clause.

At first, anyway.

Once the news media got wind of the presence of this arbitration clause and publicized the matter, EFX was forced, by the adverse publicity, to issue a clarification to the effect that persons who may have suffered damages by virtue of the EFX data breach would not be forced into arbitration, and would be able to participate in a class action, insofar as said class action pertained to the EFX data breach.

So EFX is on record as saying that those affected can file a class action if they so desire, which is proper, since probably none of those affected asked to have their identity data compromised by a party they probably had no contract with (i.e., EFX.)

Old 10-25-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Hard to know what you mean here. but if you are implying Obama did not help them then you are very wrong. It was the Obama admin that financed the bankruptcy and the USA made a very nice profit out of the stake they took. if you wanted to show a better answer you picked the wrong case to look at.
No we didn't.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-a...A3T0MR20140430

Old 10-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Miteybad View Post
A person whose identity data may have been compromised by EFX didn't waive their rights to participate in a class action merely by checking the website to see if they were among those affected by the data breach.

Now, if said person clicked on an offer for credit monitoring by EFX elsewhere on the website, they may have been asked to agree to a consumer services contract that contained an arbitration clause.

At first, anyway.

Once the news media got wind of the presence of this arbitration clause and publicized the matter, EFX was forced, by the adverse publicity, to issue a clarification to the effect that persons who may have suffered damages by virtue of the EFX data breach would not be forced into arbitration, and would be able to participate in a class action, insofar as said class action pertained to the EFX data breach.

So EFX is on record as saying that those affected can file a class action if they so desire, which is proper, since probably none of those affected asked to have their identity data compromised by a party they probably had no contract with (i.e., EFX.)
I have no idea but since they have shown themselves to be run by corrupt leadership I wouldn't put it past them.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,591,793 times
So after all the kicks in the butt the Republicans have given the public. How can anyone think this tax “Cut” would be good for anyone but the top 1%? Pence is worse than Trump. He and Ryan are sneaky behind the scenes backstabbers. Both of them have been salivating about getting social security and medicare cut or disbanded. That way they could really give the top percent their major raise. I wish we could cut all of their salaries and benefits but they have a deal like no others.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:24 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,432,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
so will you still love trump when he signs your rights away to help his banking buddies..?

Or will you as i suspect pretend he did not do it, or dismiss it as "necessary and at least not hillary" because you guys are all out of good excuses for trump.

Arbitration does not do you the plaintiff, any good. Take it to full litigation if you want justice.
People get smaller settlements in class actions, than if they would have litigated it independently. The company runs out of funds, so first in line gets paid, until the tap is dry.
The lawyers bank on class action with a wink & nod and it isn't spread around.

One of the best things that could be done, to hold corporations accountable. instead of capped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies