Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 08:49 AM

1,330 posts, read 698,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In 1970 the government classified marijuana as an illegal, highly addictive drug with no medical value, making research hard to do.

Personal accounts amount to nothing. It is simply what some one says. About every 3 posts someone will recount that marijuana is better for you than alcohol. Again, research has been hard to do.

Medicinal marijuana is a scam. Its proponents just want to smoke pot, so they proclaim "medicinal value". I ain't buying it, any more than I bought into the "medicinal brandy" stories of years ago.

Now the debate has turned to THC vs CBD. Pot proponents pretend to stroke their chins and speak eloquently about how one is more beneficial that the other, but Google it up and see the discussion is merely about which high is better.

If you like anecdotal evidence, perhaps this will be of interest:
The number of teenagers sent to emergency rooms more than quadrupled after marijuana was legalized in Colorado — mostly for mental health symptoms......
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...lorado-n754781
Again, someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

CBD doesn't get you high. In addition many CBD MMJ treatments aren't even a plant you smoke. Usually it's an oil, a hand cream or something infused with the oil. Watch any number of documentaries on the topic - a few of which include kids who were on cocktails of drugs to control multiple seizures per day and CBD pretty much cured them and allowed them to live a normal life.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/honestm...-oil-high/amp/

Unless you're saying that my dad gets high off his hand lotion now....

As far as alcohol.... How many deaths are caused by overdrinking or how many hospital visits because people blacked out? I personally drove a few people to the hospital in college for alcohol poisoning. Alcohol accounts for tens of thousands of deaths per year.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/alcohol-deaths/index.html

As far as your claim to being highly additive? Do you know what an addiction even is? Do you know what highly addictive means? Heroin is a highly addictive drug. People get hooked on the first or second try. Marijuana doesn't do that. If you over use it, can you become addicted? Sure, I guess. People become addicted to alcohol, even though the vast majority of people consume in moderation. People become addicted to sleeping pills or hell, even caffeine (coffee).

Are there always going to be stoners? Sure. I don't doubt that. But there will always be alcoholics and coffee addicts and sugar addicts and so on. Any time you have a chemical that has a positive impact on your brain, people can love the experience and want to continue it. But that's not everybody. That's not even most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 09:58 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,331,165 times
Quote:
In 1970 the government classified marijuana as an illegal, highly addictive drug with no medical value, making research hard to do.

Personal accounts amount to nothing. It is simply what some one says. About every 3 posts someone will recount that marijuana is better for you than alcohol. Again, research has been hard to do.

Medicinal marijuana is a scam. Its proponents just want to smoke pot, so they proclaim "medicinal value". I ain't buying it, any more than I bought into the "medicinal brandy" stories of years ago.

Now the debate has turned to THC vs CBD. Pot proponents pretend to stroke their chins and speak eloquently about how one is more beneficial that the other, but Google it up and see the discussion is merely about which high is better.

The number of teenagers sent to emergency rooms more than quadrupled after marijuana was legalized in Colorado — mostly for mental health symptoms......
You are so far off base on this that I have no words. I'm someone with 45+ years of experience with the plant, and someone who has actually researched why the plant was made illegal (which was in 1937 by the way, not 1970).

Every other claim you made in your post is as erroneous as the date.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:58 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,221,390 times
Quote:

Your post negates all the studies that have been done in other places NOT in the USA. Israel being a leader in the field with the work of Professor Raphael Mechoulam, who has been at it since the 60's.

I know most wont sit and watch this, but it's worth sharing:
https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/cann...earch-studies/

The US Gov claims NO medical benefits of cannabis, yet holds the patent on cannabinoids:

Quote:
Cannabinoids have been found to have antioxidant properties, unrelated to NMDA receptor antagonism. This new found property makes cannabinoids useful in the treatment and prophylaxis of wide variety of oxidation associated diseases, such as ischemic, age-related, inflammatory and autoimmune diseases. The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia. Nonpsychoactive cannabinoids, such as cannabidoil, are particularly advantageous to use because they avoid toxicity that is encountered with psychoactive cannabinoids at high doses useful in the method of the present invention. A particular disclosed class of cannabinoids useful as neuroprotective antioxidants is formula (I) wherein the R group is independently selected from the group consisting of H, CH.sub.3, and COCH.sub.3. ##STR1##
Even the National Institute of Health has changed its stance and lists cannabinoids as tools that can help with cancers. It's all HERE in black and white, should you choose to have a read.

How about cannabis and Alzheimers?

Quote:
. At the treatment concentrations, no toxicity was observed and the CB1 receptor was not significantly upregulated. Additionally, low doses of THC can enhance mitochondria function and does not inhibit melatonin's enhancement of mitochondria function. These sets of data strongly suggest that THC could be a potential therapeutic treatment option for Alzheimer's disease through multiple functions and pathways.
I can shoot holes in your "Medical marijuana is a scam" opinion all day long, and back it up. Your opinion is just that, an opinion. I'm not claiming it as some miraculous cure all, but to say outright that it has no medical value is untrue. You can discount personal attributions or accounts of it's benefits by those that choose cannabis over other drugs, but humans 10,000 year relationship with cannabis has to count for something...hell, we have an endocannabinoid system as part of our biology.

THC is the psychoactive molecule in cannabis. CBD doesn't get you "high". The "high" might be better for some because higher levels of CBD calm the effects of THC. You can google it up all you want. While you're at it, read up on the entourage effect and the role that CDB and THC play together in whole plant medicine.

As for the article you posted a link to, I'm sure that there are cases where people have gotten in over their head, like Maureen Dowd. It's worth noting the doctor also acknowledges this:

Quote:
They found 3,443 ER visits by 13- to 21-year-olds to six ERs and urgent care centers over that time. Two-thirds involved psychiatric symptoms, Wang said. More than half also had evidence of other drugs in their systems as well, including alcohol, amphetamines and cocaine.
At the end of the day though, cannabis still hasn't killed anyone. These folks might have a bad experience with it, but they will wake up in the morning. I also find it amusing that in the same article, it links to
Fewer Teens Drink or Use Illegal Drugs Now.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:00 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Poll: 64 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana | TheHill

It looks like nearly two-thirds of Americans support legalization and around half of Republicans do. When are we going to stop wasting millions of dollars in resources against a plant that is less harmful than alcohol? I understand that people may have religious objections to using it or may simply not like it. However, there is no reason for it to remain illegal.
The other third couldn't remember what their view was.

Old 10-28-2017, 10:59 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I understand some don't want pot legalized. I have no idea why though. I do know why pharma fights against it...a natural plant vs manufactured drugs. Pharma would lose money because pot alleviates pain for some and alleviates nausea for those going though chemo. I know more than a dozen people who smoke pot for different aliments. Why do we need a manufactured drug when a plant can do the same thing.

cocaine, heroin, hashish etc are all from natural plants. why do pot advocates like to use the natural plant logical fallacy?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,936,014 times
Legalized pot is making America’s lower class poorer and less responsible

But legalization and our growing cultural acceptance of marijuana have disproportionately affected one group in particular: the lower class.

A recent study by Steven Davenport of RAND and Jonathan Caulkins of Carnegie Mellon notes that “despite the popular stereotype of marijuana users as well-off and well-educated . . . they lag behind national averages” on both income and schooling.

The middle and upper classes have been the ones out there pushing for decriminalization and legalization measures, and they have also tried to demolish the cultural taboo against smoking pot. But they themselves have chosen not to partake very much. Which is not surprising. Middle-class men and women who have jobs and families know that this is not a habit they want to take up with any regularity because it will interfere with their ability to do their jobs and take care of their families.

But the poor, who already have a hard time holding down jobs and taking care of their families, are more frequently using a drug that makes it harder for them to focus, to remember things and to behave responsibly.

Legalized pot is making America’s lower class poorer and less responsible | New York Post

Regular marijuana use can result in having a lower-paying and less prestigious job than your parents, according to a University of California, Davis study that followed nearly 950 people from birth to midlife.
The study, published Wednesday in the journal Clinical Psychological Science, followed subjects in Dunedin, New Zealand from age 18 to 38, and controlled for factors such as intelligence, family structure, gender and ethnicity.

It found that those who smoked marijuana four or more days a week tended to have lower-paying, lower-prestige jobs than their parents and were more likely to face problems with food insecurity and deb

"The rest of the people in the study who were not regular and persistent cannabis users ended up in a higher social class than their parents," said Magdalena Cerda, lead investigator and associate professor of epidemiology at the UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program, according to The Oregonian.

Persistent cannabis users also dealt with relationship difficulties, antisocial behavior in the workplace, lower motivation and depression, which worsened as years of regular use went on, the study said.

“Our research does not support arguments for or against cannabis legalization,” said Cerda. "But it does show that cannabis was not safe for the long-term users tracked in our study.”

“Our study found that regular cannabis users experienced downward social mobility and more financial problems such as troubles with debt and cash flow than those who did not report such persistent use," she added.

The study’s authors found that, while alcohol poses a greater risk to health, those who abuse marijuana are more likely to face financial difficulties than those with alcohol problems.

https://www.rt.com/usa/336956-marijuana-linked-low-pay/

is pot use promoted to create a docile population the same way alcohol is promoted?

Old 10-28-2017, 11:19 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
Legalized pot is making America’s lower class poorer and less responsible

But legalization and our growing cultural acceptance of marijuana have disproportionately affected one group in particular: the lower class.

A recent study by Steven Davenport of RAND and Jonathan Caulkins of Carnegie Mellon notes that “despite the popular stereotype of marijuana users as well-off and well-educated . . . they lag behind national averages” on both income and schooling.

The middle and upper classes have been the ones out there pushing for decriminalization and legalization measures, and they have also tried to demolish the cultural taboo against smoking pot. But they themselves have chosen not to partake very much. Which is not surprising. Middle-class men and women who have jobs and families know that this is not a habit they want to take up with any regularity because it will interfere with their ability to do their jobs and take care of their families.

But the poor, who already have a hard time holding down jobs and taking care of their families, are more frequently using a drug that makes it harder for them to focus, to remember things and to behave responsibly.

Legalized pot is making America’s lower class poorer and less responsible | New York Post

Regular marijuana use can result in having a lower-paying and less prestigious job than your parents, according to a University of California, Davis study that followed nearly 950 people from birth to midlife.
The study, published Wednesday in the journal Clinical Psychological Science, followed subjects in Dunedin, New Zealand from age 18 to 38, and controlled for factors such as intelligence, family structure, gender and ethnicity.

It found that those who smoked marijuana four or more days a week tended to have lower-paying, lower-prestige jobs than their parents and were more likely to face problems with food insecurity and deb

"The rest of the people in the study who were not regular and persistent cannabis users ended up in a higher social class than their parents," said Magdalena Cerda, lead investigator and associate professor of epidemiology at the UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program, according to The Oregonian.

Persistent cannabis users also dealt with relationship difficulties, antisocial behavior in the workplace, lower motivation and depression, which worsened as years of regular use went on, the study said.

“Our research does not support arguments for or against cannabis legalization,” said Cerda. "But it does show that cannabis was not safe for the long-term users tracked in our study.”

“Our study found that regular cannabis users experienced downward social mobility and more financial problems such as troubles with debt and cash flow than those who did not report such persistent use," she added.

The study’s authors found that, while alcohol poses a greater risk to health, those who abuse marijuana are more likely to face financial difficulties than those with alcohol problems.

https://www.rt.com/usa/336956-marijuana-linked-low-pay/

is pot use promoted to create a docile population the same way alcohol is promoted?
You can make almost any study support your point-of-view if you want. Remember Mark Twain said there are three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I understand some don't want pot legalized. I have no idea why though. I do know why pharma fights against it...a natural plant vs manufactured drugs. Pharma would lose money because pot alleviates pain for some and alleviates nausea for those going though chemo. I know more than a dozen people who smoke pot for different aliments. Why do we need a manufactured drug when a plant can do the same thing.
Dope cures nothing while manufactured drugs could.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:23 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,705,695 times
Quote:
cocaine, heroin, hashish etc are all from natural plants. why do pot advocates like to use the natural plant logical fallacy?
Well, hashish comes from the marijuana plant, so....

As for cocaine and heroin, I'm good with legalizing those as well. There should be no law protecting a person from their own actions. Period. It is not the government's job to protect you from yourself, and having laws that are intended to do so is a direct violation of free will.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:32 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,278,566 times
Quote:
Frankly I would decriminalize cocaine, LSD, magic mushrooms, and related drugs when it comes to simple possession if I was in power. People should be able to experiment if they want.

It's important to clamp down on dealers and make sure drug cartels don't form though. I would impose stiff penalties for any dealers caught doing violent acts.. basically a known dealer who has harmed anyone gets a 100 year prison sentence. Any dealer trying to harass people, corner the market, or whatnot, gets 50 years in prison. The violence that comes along with drug use from the dealing aspect is it's major problem.

I would also keep highly addictive drugs illegal, like meth and heroin. Magic mushrooms and LSD aren't what I could call addictive, and marijuana certainly isn't addictive, and is less harmful than alcohol... well anything can be addictive if you're an addictive prone person.. I would say marijuana is addictive as food, sex, coffee, or gambling.... you're not going to crave it like food.. at least I don't.

I could take the position of the above poster and just decriminalize possession of everything like the above poster. I agree that I shouldn't have to lose my rights because other people can't control themselves. I have a high level of attention to detail and research everything pretty well before doing it, so I know what I can handle and what I can't, but because other people don't do this, I'm punished for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies