Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 12:13 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,264,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Exactly why I recognize Atheism as a religion.

Takes more faith to believe in a creator-less Universe than one that was created.

This is a silly statement. I don't care if a person believes in God or not, but to claim it takes more faith to NOT believe in something that there is no actual evidence for, rather than to come to believe in some supernatural Being for which you can present no actual physical evidence is simply ridiculous on the face of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 12:16 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,861,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Why do some get so upset and start name calling when he’s even mentioned?
You can personally believe whatever you want, but God or religion have no place in a scientific discussion.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:21 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,543,574 times
I just gotta say that you atheist, anti christian types are sort of funny to me. You fight like heck to come up with every scientific sounding arguments that don't even agree with each other and you rant and rave, call people names. Obviously feeling superior to anyone who would claim to be a "christian".

Someone commented about a " Christian" being scared of scary things. That is laughable, if you are a Christian, you believe in the existence of God and Satan, good and evil, and if you think about you will realize that Satan, the devil is the one that offers the easy path, all sugar coated, whatever you like. Go ahead do whatever you desire, if it feels good do it. That is Satan calling, he is just full of excuses and goodies.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,075,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
You would think they might consider that God created the universe.
The universe shouldn’t exist, according to science | New York Post
Where did god come from? Or the matter to make the universe itself? What is nothing and how did something derive from it?

We could go on...and on...and on.

WE ARE NOT CAPABLE OF KNOWING......

7,448 posts, read 2,806,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I just gotta say that you atheist, anti christian types are sort of funny to me. You fight like heck to come up with every scientific sounding arguments that don't even agree with each other and you rant and rave, call people names. Obviously feeling superior to anyone who would claim to be a "christian".

Someone commented about a " Christian" being scared of scary things. That is laughable, if you are a Christian, you believe in the existence of God and Satan, good and evil, and if you think about you will realize that Satan, the devil is the one that offers the easy path, all sugar coated, whatever you like. Go ahead do whatever you desire, if it feels good do it. That is Satan calling, he is just full of excuses and goodies.
Why are you even here in this discussion? You aren't talking about the topic, just smearing your beliefs across the wall. Nobody cares that you think literal demons are real, and it has nothing to do with matter/antimatter symmetry or the implications thereof. You just come off sounding supremely insecure and threatened by the scientific discussion.

8,278 posts, read 6,235,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Hmm, but in a situation that has fully symmetrically distributed antimatter and matter, "matter" in the sense of solid matter would not be able to exist correct? Any solid matter would instantly annihilate into its "energy" form, which is where I thought the confusion lay, since they were unable to find any kind of evidence of asymmetry at this point, yet solid matter forms very clearly exist.

Using quotes around "matter" and "energy" since they are effectively the same thing in different states. The state is VERY important to us however....
So we're talking at T to T+10^-90s. We know what formed (it's all around like pollution). I'm just suggesting that the asymmetry is corrected via M/AM annihilation generating energy that then converted to the particles we know and love.

Think of it as a Universe creation telephone, the person isn't actually speaking out of the speaker cone, his speech modulates electricity (energy) that transmits to your speaker cone. The M/AM symmetry exists on the speaker side of the "phone" not "our" side (which are really the same side just at some time T' difference).

Sure, we're asymmetric (less AM than M) but that's the artifact of the symmetry at T of equal M/AM and the known products of M/AM annihilation.

Old 10-26-2017, 12:27 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,806,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
So we're talking at T to T+10^-90s. We know what formed (it's all around like pollution). I'm just suggesting that the asymmetry is corrected via M/AM annihilation generating energy that then converted to the particles we know and love.
Again, assuming symmetry, those particles would continue to annihilate until matter only existed in its energy state, at least that is my understanding of it. I supposed we could simply be in a stage of that type of chain reaction that has not completed yet, perhaps the observed universal expansion is a part of that reaction.... I mean functionally as the universe expands approaching infinity it would become effectively infinitely empty. That or there could be some form of asymmetry we are missing.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 10-26-2017 at 12:38 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 12:31 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,843,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You can personally believe whatever you want, but God or religion have no place in a scientific discussion.
I thought we were on city data...not in a laboratory. Maybe I’m mistaken?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM

22,219 posts, read 21,496,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Exactly why I recognize Atheism as a religion.

Takes more faith to believe in a creator-less Universe than one that was created.
How exactly are science and atheism connected?

I've been monitoring insect larvae as part of an ongoing scientific study - is that me practicing atheism?

Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,843,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I doubt anyone is "upset" at the mention of God. It is just a little silly and not very intellectual to simple claim "God must have done it!" for every bit of info we don't yet understand. If the scientists simply quit searching for answers every time some religious person made this claim, we would still be in the Bronze Age. All of our advances come because people don't accept this simplistic explanation for every unknown phenomenon.
Who defines what’s silly and not very intelligent? You? Wasn’t the Big Bang guy a priest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies