Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2017, 09:16 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Most of these places are small businesses owned by "mom and Pop"

Not big hulking multi national corporations like McDonalds .
McDonald restaurants are franchises owned by small business owners. They just lease the space, and buy their supplies from McDonalds, so in reality they are small businesses. Corporate McDonalds is a real estate, and supply company, the don't own nor run the burger joint business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:21 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
McDonald restaurants are franchises owned by small business owners. They just lease the space, and buy their supplies from McDonalds, so in reality they are small businesses. Corporate McDonalds is a real estate, and supply company, the don't own nor run the burger joint business.
True most are franchisee owned but about 18 percent corporate owned. But the pro $15 crowd usually targets their anger at McDs because it's the biggest .

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
So who do you want to survive in a hypothetical show-down? "Mom and Pop" or "hulking multi-nationals"?
I'd prefer the mom and pops to survive .

But the multi nationals or huge corporations will have the advantage .

They will be able to afford the automation technology to automate while the mom and pop won't .

$15 hr min wage law is a slap in the face to small mom and pops

Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,054,991 times
Well, say goodbye to mom and pop, then. Multi-nationals will always prevail. People like Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell, and Paul Ryan will *always* side with big business. If you don't believe that, just watch how they vote on the upcoming tax legislation.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Around 10% of McDonald's are corporate stores rather than franchise, and considering how many McDonald's there are, that 10% is quite a number

Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
I'd prefer the mom and pops to survive .

But the multi nationals or huge corporations will have the advantage .

They will be able to afford the automation technology to automate while the mom and pop won't .

$15 hr min wage law is a slap in the face to small mom and pops
So you think that not a single employee will actually get the $15, that's what you're saying....

Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
If I am eating out, I buy the best food i can find that is fairly priced for what it is. I don't like to pay a premium for "name" value but I will quite gladly pay a premium for taste and quality ingredients. Half the people here sound like they just scarf little Caesar's cardboard tasting schlock and anything slightly more expensive isn't worth it. Well I disagree with that. As far as the business goes I don't really care, there are a thousand reasons it could fail with wage costs being one of them but certainly not the only or garaunteed one.

To me, little Caesars isn't a pizza for 5 bucks, it is an exercise in me paying 5 bucks so someone gives me a box I then get the priveledge of immediately throwing in the trash. Might as well skip the middleman and put the fiver directly in the trash can. Lol

Fresh, homemade dough and sauce, high quality fresh toppings cooked in a good brick oven on the other hand, I'll shell out 20-25 bucks no problem.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
So you think that not a single employee will actually get the $15, that's what you're saying....
Some will . The lucky ones . Also businesses have also said they'll be looking for more skilled workers and give them more responsibility if they have to pay $15 hr .

The point of these jobs is entry level and this $15 hour law will change that . It'll be harder for people to get a job.
A job is better than no job .

Billionaire Sam Zell who knows a thing or two about business has made this same point .

Read below :

"The tinkering with the minimum wage is a very dangerous game," the chairman of Equity Group Investments said in a "Squawk Box" interview. "You start talking about a $13 or a $15 minimum wage, and you're going to have robots that are operating McDonald's."
"If you double the cost, there's no question that everybody will figure out ways to use less people," Zell argued. "I think minimum wages have always been a poor substitute for economic policy."

The training experience and discipline gained from entry-level jobs at McDonald's or other service companies provide value to workers beyond just the wage they receive, he added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/03/want...wage-zell.html

Old 10-26-2017, 10:04 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Good points, mathguy.

And the organization was a non-profit.
It's mission was to train poor people and give them some solid skills that could earn a good wage.

The mission almost ensured failure, as once the best people had gotten the training and the experience, they would leave to go out into the wider world of for-profit business, so they wouldn't be around to train their replacements.

The restaurant ended up continuously full of new hires who didn't know the work with no one who could train them.

The better their mission was served, the less profitable the business became. It's a subtle paradox that could easily be overlooked in the planning. And since it was all created with a dependency on charitable donations for funding, a for-profit model wasn't the best to begin with. Even all those labor saving devices still need someone who's trained to operate them, after all, and training was the purpose of the enterprise, not profit.

But it could be corrected through some of the things you mentioned. And some other changes.

I hope this failure doesn't kill the organization. If a poor person who has never held a steady job could learn enough to walk into a McDonald's, apply, and go straight to work, it's a much better start to a more productive life than they ever had before.

And fast food work pays more now than it ever did in the past. Good workers who want that work are increasingly harder to find for the entire industry these days. Working fast food can make a poor person mobile, and able to leave somewhere to go to where the jobs are.

Holding down an honest job gives meaning and purpose to anyone's life, and a successful job builds aspiration to go higher in folks. The intent of the non-profit was noble; they only failed in the execution. I think if given another chance, their second attempt could do much better after the failure was studied and the lessons were learned.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:22 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Some will . The lucky ones . Also businesses have also said they'll be looking for more skilled workers and give them more responsibility if they have to pay $15 hr .

The point of these jobs is entry level and this $15 hour law will change that . It'll be harder for people to get a job.
A job is better than no job .

Billionaire Sam Zell who knows a thing or two about business has made this same point .

Read below :

"The tinkering with the minimum wage is a very dangerous game," the chairman of Equity Group Investments said in a "Squawk Box" interview. "You start talking about a $13 or a $15 minimum wage, and you're going to have robots that are operating McDonald's."
"If you double the cost, there's no question that everybody will figure out ways to use less people," Zell argued. "I think minimum wages have always been a poor substitute for economic policy."

The training experience and discipline gained from entry-level jobs at McDonald's or other service companies provide value to workers beyond just the wage they receive, he added.

https://www.cnbc.com/2014/09/03/want...wage-zell.html
Businesses keep labor growth small, as they should to keep open. That means when the price rises quickly, beyond a small %, they consume less. Fewer hours, fewer employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies