Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 08:25 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump, like all politicians, says a lot of things and makes all kinds of promises.

Trump can't fix it.
True, but I hate appeasement promises.

I also hate when the government pokes its nose where it doesn't belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
True, but I hate appeasement promises.

I also hate when the government pokes its nose where it doesn't belong.
If there are issues which impact the welfare of the nation as whole, then it is the governments Constitutional duty to do something.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If there are issues which impact the welfare of the nation as whole, then it is the governments Constitutional duty to do something.
Do you believe opioids impact the welfaare of the nation as a whole?

Old 10-27-2017, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
opioid addiction in this country in the last 10 years has become a national disgrace.
The US consumes 80% of the global scripts for opioids, despite being only 5% of the population.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:32 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Seems like you live in a bubble and don't understand the problem so I will explain. When people are in pain, doctors are quick to prescribe Opioids. Some get hooked, some don't. When I had a C section my doctor prescribed an Opioid. When I had knee surgery, I was prescribed an Opioid. I'm not a drug addict but I could have easily got hooked because they gave me a 30 day supply with refills. Fortunately, I didn't like how it made me feel so I didn't take them. My husband had toe surgery and the same thing happened....30 day supply with refills. A family member has colitis. He has constant flare ups and ends up in the ER where they give him Opioids. He got hooked by no fault of his own. He recently had to have his appendix taken out and refused all pain killers because he didn't want to get addicted again. He goes to meeting several times a week so he won't relapse. I have a friend who has MS who had a never ending supply of Opiods supplied by his doctors.
It's not the people, it's the doctors.
I sure don't know where people find all these opioid-prescribing doctors. I've had chronic head and neck pain for over 20 years due to a fall on a concrete sidewalk, compounded by another fall and a whiplash car accident. I've been under several neurologists care, gone to pain management doctors, done bio-feedback, acupuncture, facet injections, etc., etc., and not once have I ever been prescribed an opioid. According to the state of VA, I'm no longer supposed to feel any pain. I'm lucky that my insurance will allow me ONE low-grade pain pill a day, but it often doesn't touch the pain, and it sure won't handle it for the entire day. I don't break the law or see unqualified pill-pushers, so I guess I'm just *** out of luck on the issue, not that I want to become an addict anyway. But it seems that there should be some way for people needing them to have appropriate pain meds while keeping mass quantities of opioids from those who want to simply self-medicate themselves to death.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:45 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
One way or another, we all pay for it.

Crime and Opioids:
According to the NCADD (National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Addiction) At the most intense level of drug use, drugs and crime are directly and highly correlated and serious drug use can amplify and perpetuate preexisting criminal activity NCADD June 27, 2015

Of the 2.3 million U.S. inmates, 1.5 million suffer from substance abuse addiction, and another 458,000 either had histories of substance abuse, were under the influence of alcohol or drugs at the time of committing their crimes or committed the offenses in order to buy drugs.
The American Public Health Association

Veterans and Opioids:
About 60% of veterans returning from deployments in the middle east and 50% of older veterans suffer from chronic pain according to veterans affairs officials. Veterans are twice as likely to die from accidental opioid overdoses than non veterans. Until a few years ago the VA was treating the veterans chronic pain almost exclusively with prescriptions for opioid painkillers leading to addictions and fatal overdoses.The VA has reduced the number of veterans receiving opioids. But the number of veterans with opioid disorders continued to grow spiking by 55% from 2010 to 2015

Sen. Joe Donnelly Dem. IN. stated "Although the VA provided a long list of various efforts...there is more work to be done." PBS March 2016

About 11% of the adult homeless population are veterans. The majority suffer from mental illness, alcohol and/or substance abuse, or co-occuring disorders. The National Coalition for the Homeless

The Elderly and Opioids:
Many elderly in America have a drug problem. A recent study of medicare recipients found that in 2011, 15% were prescribed opioids when they were discharged from the hospital; three months later 42% were still taking the pain medication. Some ended up addicted. In the past 20 years the rate of hospitalization among seniors that is related to opioid overuse has quintupled. NPR Dec. 20, 2016

If you have no compassion for the "street addict" then have compassion for the veterans and the elderly. Your taxes help to combat addiction on many fronts.
The profile of the average Opioid/ Opiate addict is a white male, age 23 who has not been prescribed o
Opioid pain medication.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:56 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The profile of the average Opioid/ Opiate addict is a white male, age 23 who has not been prescribed o
Opioid pain medication.
The FACT that so many Ignore, thanks for pointing it out.
And as such it because more of a criminal/mental health issue and as we know we do a bad job dealing with it at either the criminal level and especially as a health issue.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The FACT that so many Ignore, thanks for pointing it out.
And as such it because more of a criminal/mental health issue and as we know we do a bad job dealing with it at either the criminal level and especially as a health issue.
Should the government place severe restrictions on everything that can be addictive?

Old 10-27-2017, 09:31 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,233,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Seems like you live in a bubble and don't understand the problem so I will explain. When people are in pain, doctors are quick to prescribe Opioids. Some get hooked, some don't. When I had a C section my doctor prescribed an Opioid. When I had knee surgery, I was prescribed an Opioid. I'm not a drug addict but I could have easily got hooked because they gave me a 30 day supply with refills. Fortunately, I didn't like how it made me feel so I didn't take them. My husband had toe surgery and the same thing happened....30 day supply with refills. A family member has colitis. He has constant flare ups and ends up in the ER where they give him Opioids. He got hooked by no fault of his own. He recently had to have his appendix taken out and refused all pain killers because he didn't want to get addicted again. He goes to meeting several times a week so he won't relapse. I have a friend who has MS who had a never ending supply of Opiods supplied by his doctors.
It's not the people, it's the doctors.
I don't live in a bubble and I understand exactly what's going on here more than you may think. I just don't believe in treating one group of drug addicts one way, and another group of drug addicts a different way no matter how they became addicted.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Should the government place severe restrictions on everything that can be addictive?
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies