Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 03:57 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times

Advertisements

If tax payer dollars go to fund the park, why is there any admission? It's like charging people twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 04:06 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Let's consider one park.

Volcanoes National Park

If someone flew a family of 4 to Hawaii

Airfare....about $2000
5 Nights hotel...average about $2000
15 meals * 4 * $15 = $900
Souvenirs $500
One new I phone (beach) $1000
Airport parking $200
Interisland Flights $1600

Base trip cost $8000

Added cost to take family to see active volcano.

4 times $30 = $120 or 1.5 %

or

4 times $70 = $280 or 3.5%

Tourist= Yes
Local resident discount please.
Park fees are per vehicle.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:12 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
If tax payer dollars go to fund the park, why is there any admission? It's like charging people twice.
Why do we have to pay tolls on highways when we pay taxes to maintain the same roads? A better question is why do we have pay taxes into thousands of programs that most of us will never use or benefit from? Welcome to America

Personally, I say if raising admissions cuts back on all of the graffiti I have to look at on rocks and carved into tress at National Parks then I'm all for it.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:20 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Don’t go to National Parks much anymore, but if I do go I have my $10 Golden Age passport. It paid for itself a long time ago.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:27 PM

6,753 posts, read 5,056,845 times
A bad PR move to raise the fee so much all at once, but it's still peanuts compared to taking a family of four to Disney World for even a single day.

Probably a reasonable compromise is to continue the occasional free weekends, so that people who truly are struggling to pay the $70 have an opportunity. I know that Grand Canyon does this. Do most of the parks participate?

Old 10-26-2017, 04:29 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Either direct support from the federal government needs to increase to adequately support the parks, or you have to increase the admission fees. If you have to resort to raising the admission fees, the key is to not increase it so much that it kills average attendance at the parks. For some of our most heavily visited parks though, a reduction probably isn’t all bad if it helps preserve them for future generations to enjoy.
The park service has way to much on there plate.
The Feds should decertify some of the lesser parks and monuments, turn them over to the states for maintenance and local control.
We also need a change in how parks and monuments are made, with approval of state gov. and maybe a vote from congress instead of allowing presidents to just say it is so.

RR

Old 10-26-2017, 04:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I'm sure many of you are aware of the National Park Service's proposal to dramatically increase admission fees at the largest and most popular National Parks. A typical auto pass costing $30 now will rise to $70, putting it in line with theme park admission fees.

Is this a good thing, or should it be shot down on sight? I will admit that I have an Access Pass to the parks, meaning this will not affect me a bit, although I do see a big plus in reduced crowds. Nothing worse than being stuck in gridlock when trying to enjoy nature. However, this has the potential of discouraging families on a budget from being able to experience the wonders of our esteemed national park system.

Thoughts?
Good. It costs large sums of money cleaning up from liberal lunatic events.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:31 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Good. It costs large sums of money cleaning up from liberal lunatic events.
Please provide examples of liberal lunatic events in National parks. Please provide specific examples of any refuse left behind. Even Burning Man, an extremely liberal event, leaves no trace every year, so please provide proof of the accusation.

Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I found this article, and it would entail increases at 17 parks to address maintenance issues: https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/10-24-...s-proposal.htm I tend to believe those getting the most use out of them should be making more of a contribution toward maintaining them, of course, I feel that way about everything.

Another article: Joshua Tree National Park entrance fees could increase. Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mount Rainier included.

And, Seacove, maybe this would address your question: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103866520 I suppose they don't clean up the area once they abandon it. Another one: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...229943491.html

Old 10-26-2017, 04:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The park service has way to much on there plate.
The Feds should decertify some of the lesser parks and monuments, turn them over to the states for maintenance and local control.
We also need a change in how parks and monuments are made, with approval of state gov. and maybe a vote from congress instead of allowing presidents to just say it is so.

RR
Did you know that 90% of all federal lands turned over to the States got sold to private interests, Really Bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies