Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:12 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times

Advertisements

I'm okay with the increase. Maintenance costs are increasing. More recreational vehicles cause more erosion and degrade trails and views. Higher wages, and increased costs for benefits. Some users of National Parks want more services when they get there. Potable water. Bathrooms with running water. Even outhouses now have to have containment 'boxes' underneath that have to be pumped. People also want visitor centers and some desire park rangers to give information and even talks. There are Americans with Disabilities Act requirements that have to be met.

It's still a bargain. It's $70/vehicle. For a year. For that you get access to more acres than most of us can afford or care for. And you get it in every part of the US!

My gosh. Compare that to a movie for a small family, or dinner and a movie for two, or a sporting event, or...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Did you know that 90% of all federal lands turned over to the States got sold to private interests, Really Bad idea.
Source, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 09:04 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post

Source, please.
Here is just one source, there is a mountain of information if you are willing to look:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/whats-at...-battle#page-7
https://www.outdoorlife.com/fact-che...-land-transfer

By the time you read up on it you know that this is Not in the best interests the American People.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:07 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It would be nice if they were free for all to use. But it does cost money to keep them up and to maintain their facilities. What other payment system would you propose?
We already pay taxes. A LOT of taxes. Maybe use that money, and keep the fees where they are, or even lower them. The National Park Service thinks the parks are THEIRS, not the people's. They're wrong.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
An awful lot of that empty space in red county's is occupied by farms, factories, manufacturing centers, and distribution centers. Those are the places that generate the money that deceitful liberals lay claim too in there Blue states deceit.
Take a look at California, a great deal of the money produced in that state is in RED counties, but deceitful libs ignore the county map and pretend the entire state is BLUE.

I for one am sick of RED counties having to support the BLUE ghettos.

RR
Blue states support red states. How do you think they would fend if they were on their own.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcwick View Post
I suspect attendance numbers will go down, which will justify even more massive cuts and/or closures. I wonder if it will push more people to buy passes, or whether the pass price will increase as well.
Or perhaps begin to sell some of the parks off to the highest bidder.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Which seems to be the plan all along. The USA is for sale to the highest Bidder.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
I am against it......asking to more than double the entrance fees? No way.Some of the most beautiful parts of our country are protected by being a National Park and the federal government should be more than happy to continue protecting them.

I bet most people don't want more development either------keep it wild.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I hope your not serious.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:56 PM

439 posts, read 345,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I'm sure many of you are aware of the National Park Service's proposal to dramatically increase admission fees at the largest and most popular National Parks. A typical auto pass costing $30 now will rise to $70, putting it in line with theme park admission fees.

Is this a good thing, or should it be shot down on sight? I will admit that I have an Access Pass to the parks, meaning this will not affect me a bit, although I do see a big plus in reduced crowds. Nothing worse than being stuck in gridlock when trying to enjoy nature. However, this has the potential of discouraging families on a budget from being able to experience the wonders of our esteemed national park system.

Thoughts?
Insane. That is what our taxes pay for.

At Mineral Bar in California, hardly anyone enjoys it nowadays. It costs $10 per car!!!

So very sad

Old 10-26-2017, 10:00 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
This thread reminded me that I need to go to my local park. I got my pass a few months ago and totally forgot about it. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies