U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 08:29 AM

69,366 posts, read 61,808,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
Na thats what they just said remember trump is playing to his neo Nazi base
Obama Has Deported More People Than Any Other President - ABC News

/fail
Rate this post positively

Old 10-27-2017, 08:30 AM
AFP

7,392 posts, read 6,214,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Heartless bastards.
Yep and they're proud of it. Xenophobic heartless pricks(White Trash).

Old 10-27-2017, 08:31 AM

17,288 posts, read 28,329,813 times
She should be allowed to get healthcare here.... BUT..... is MEXICO paying the bill to the hospital? Can the hospital send the bill to the Mexican government for reimbursement, or is the millions of lifetime Cerebral Palsy costs going to be borne by the taxpayer while American citizens languish without healthcare.

I think we know the answer. Mexico won't pay for a wall, but they also won't pay the living expenses for the 10% of their entire population living here illegally...they don't pay for the millions of Medicaid babies born to illegal Mexican nationals. They don't pay for ****.

What a an utterly useless neighbor. Imagine if we had another Canada-type, first world, responsible nation on our southern border instead of the giant succubus that is Mexico!

Last edited by TriMT7; 10-27-2017 at 09:10 AM..

Old 10-27-2017, 09:36 AM

32,703 posts, read 27,682,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who entered the United States from Mexico without permission a decade ago is potentially facing deportation after having to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint in South Texas for emergency gallbladder surgery, a family lawyer said Thursday.

Rosa Maria Hernandez was brought to the United States illegally from Mexico in 2007 when she was 3 months old, according to her mother, Felipa de la Cruz, to get access to better medical care. The family lives in Laredo, Texas, and all are undocumented.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, a San Antonio Democrat, blamed the Trump administration for adopting "callous policies" toward immigrants.

Soooo... she's illegal and disabled. Went through a border checkpoint for emergency surgery. Then was detained because she has 0 legal status.

How is this Trumps fault? Aren't these laws on the books way before he came along?

I guess the taxpayers are fronting the bill?

Oh ya, Joaquin? Lets rephrase your tone of speech "ILLEGAL ALIEN". There ya go.

10-Year-Old Girl Is Detained By Border Patrol After Emergency Surgery : The Two-Way : NPR

who entered the United States from Mexico without permission.
Enter illegally you are subject to deportation. Enough said.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 AM

24,566 posts, read 38,380,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
A 10-year-old girl with cerebral palsy who entered the United States from Mexico without permission a decade ago is potentially facing deportation after having to go through a Border Patrol checkpoint in South Texas for emergency gallbladder surgery, a family lawyer said Thursday.

Rosa Maria Hernandez was brought to the United States illegally from Mexico in 2007 when she was 3 months old, according to her mother, Felipa de la Cruz, to get access to better medical care. The family lives in Laredo, Texas, and all are undocumented.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, a San Antonio Democrat, blamed the Trump administration for adopting "callous policies" toward immigrants.

Soooo... she's illegal and disabled. Went through a border checkpoint for emergency surgery. Then was detained because she has 0 legal status.

How is this Trumps fault? Aren't these laws on the books way before he came along?

I guess the taxpayers are fronting the bill?

Oh ya, Joaquin? Lets rephrase your tone of speech "ILLEGAL ALIEN". There ya go.

10-Year-Old Girl Is Detained By Border Patrol After Emergency Surgery : The Two-Way : NPR

The mother actually said in a news article that she brought her daughter to Texas specifically so that the state could "help pay" her daughter's medical bills.

We have enough native-born indigent children in need of healthcare. They have to come first.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 AM

6,542 posts, read 3,902,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Wrong. The "hypocrisy" is in your mind.

The laws are long-standing laws. That's a fact. And just as self-deportation has been a phenomenon as new laws are proposed or introduced, or as administrations considered "unfriendly" take office, a substantial number of other countries' citizens decide not to enter the U.S. illegally.

There's nothing shocking--or unusual--about that, at all.
I'm gathering you didn't follow what I said; let's recap:

This case involving this 10 year old girl is seen by many as not respecting basic human decency. Stopping an ambulance to check IDs and looming outside her hospital room while requesting the door stay open, as examples. Some are blaming Trump. The OP finds this ridiculous.

The hypocrisy is that the OP likely gives credit to the Trump administration for bringing illegal immigration down. Credit that is valid, by the way. The thing is, he can't credit him for that while also saying these examples of ICE overreach are not his fault because the reason for both is the same: he's tightening policy and expecting more action be taken on existing laws.

I'll say: I take no issue with this in general. While I tend to support amnesty for illegal immigrants who are working and have lived here for years, there's still legal prescient to deport them regardless. With that said, when ICE agents start acting out of line with basic civility, I take issue with that. Trump's policies to tighten immigration law are pushing that limit. I noted examples in my post to which you responded to one sentence on, and did so without following the key point of that sentence, it seems.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:54 AM

5,710 posts, read 2,949,193 times
I would love to see what the medical bills are. I guarantee you the American taxpayer has paid almost every dime towards that child's care. My sister works in pediatrics at a NY hospital. They have an illegal immigrant child in the wing. The child has been there for months. The family has an attorney and has stopped the hospital from moving the child. 100% funded by our tax dollar. Out of control.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 AM

1,078 posts, read 823,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Until conservatives accept that we are not run by religion they will not change their behaviors.
Immigration laws, be they here, Canada, Iceland, or Nigeria, literally have nothing to do with religion even in theocracies, and everything to do with finances and the use of the public treasury. I have a kid with CP, I’m sympathetic to the disability, but no country on earth has a duty to care for citizens that are not its own, especially if they have not established legal residency.

To work in the UK I’d have to establish fiscal independence. To work and live in Japan I’d have to do it too. And my disabled child wouldn’t be able to avail themselves of health care on the public dime in EITHER country even if I had legal residency. There are specific rules about that.

Don’t confuse partisanship for moral or even legal rightness on this issue. That muddies the waters and doesn’t deal with the facts of the case. If I went to Mexico for a dorsal rhizotomy for my son’s CP, I would still be breaking the law to stay beyond six months, even with a legal passport. And I’d be guilty of fraud if I tried collecting benefits and establishing a household without the proper documentation and approval of the Mexican government. It doesn’t matter that our medical treatment for disability is a fraction of the cost it is in America, or that I really want my kid to stay so we can have therapies and support we can’t afford in our home country. It’s illegal, and the government is well within their rights to enforce their laws in that area.

We literally have no expectation another country should behave on immigration as apparent we are supposed to, here in the US. It’s insanity, and has everything to do with the public treasury, providing first for our own citizens, and sovereignty of borders. That’s the case in South Africa, China, and France too.

The ideological blindness on this topic is just stupid. And it degrades the conversation into partisan talking points to misattritube the issues at hand to partisan talking points and who has the market cornered on compassion. It’s not about compassion, and that isn’t why immigration laws exist or have existed since the founding of this country.

You can make an argument for compassion in refugee laws and waivers, but that’s a separate issue. This family were not refugees.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM

27,304 posts, read 15,392,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes she looks like a real threat.

I thought ICE was going to focus on criminals, gang members, etc.
And any illegal alien they come across, especially those they can get on the public charge issue.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:21 AM

27,304 posts, read 15,392,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No he didn’t. That statement has been debunked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.