U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 06:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 24,090,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
And that's exactly the answer/remark that any sane, law abiding American should make.
Mere opinion on your part.
Rate this post positively

Old 10-28-2017, 07:27 AM

23,481 posts, read 7,563,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I have to say that I really take exception to the lawyer's characterization above.
Everyone has to go through those check points. If you live in South or West Texas or even New Mexico, they are a fact of life and have been for longer than this family has been in the States.
It's not like they just appeared there overnight after 45's inauguration.

Now, I am not unsympathetic to the girl's condition and I hope that she will receive care in detention.
But the border agents at this check point were simply doing their jobs as were the ICE agents.
The family took the risk and lost. They've only themselves to blame.
Arizona and California also and you are usually asked your legal status by the agents. Been this way for at least 20 years I believe.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:32 AM

23,481 posts, read 7,563,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Yes she looks like a real threat.

I thought ICE was going to focus on criminals, gang members, etc.
The checkpoints have been there for years, before Trump and Obama. Everyone is stopped and often you are questioned if you are a citizen and where you are going. If you are not a citizen you are asked to show proof of that you are here legally. If you can't prove it you are detained and possibly deported. It does not matter if you look like a threat. Would that not be profiling if that was the criteria?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 AM

57,160 posts, read 24,578,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Mere opinion on your part.

Laws are what they are and we are obligated to respect them and the enforcement of them as they are in place to protect us. It's not an opinion.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:58 AM

34,626 posts, read 20,274,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Laws are what they are and we are obligated to respect them and the enforcement of them as they are in place to protect us. It's not an opinion.
Some people want open borders and take the position that illegals are entitled to everything a citizen gets.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM

34,626 posts, read 20,274,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I would rather have my tax dollars pay to treat them than Trumps weekly golf trips or a $30 billion wall.
So, you want to be taxed to pay for illegal alien medical treatment?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 AM

17,288 posts, read 28,329,813 times
None of the bleeding heart liberals on this page have answered the question: WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS GIRL'S TREATMENT? THE LIFETIME expenses for CP?

Yes, it's "terrible" that she was stopped and slated for deportation.... but unelss I see you people setting up a lifetime GoFundMe with annuity to care for this girl while Mexico City has more billionaires that any other city in Latin America.... you need to shut up, sit down, and stop spending other people's money.

A calculation needs to be done by the Trump admin to re-route all US aid to Mexico to the hospitals and social service agencies that take care of the millions and millions and millions of MEXICAN nationals in this country. They like to say they're living on Mexican land anyway? Fine. Let the Mexicans pay for their benefits and healthcare and education.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:54 PM

44,772 posts, read 23,339,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
But the border agents at this check point were simply doing their jobs as were the ICE agents.
I see the classics are getting an airing. Here's another handful:
  • If it hadn't been me, someone else would have been there.
  • At least, being there, I could try to soften the blow.
  • I did not give the orders, I just carried them out.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:00 PM

44,772 posts, read 23,339,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
...you need to shut up, sit down, and stop spending other people's money.
Is this argument applicable to the stupid, stupid wall, or does it only apply to expenses you don't like? Like, y'know, taking care of sick kids.

Incidentally, I pay a good deal more in taxes than the median Trump supporter, so the "other people's money" isn't cutting much ice with me. Try something else.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:19 PM

57,160 posts, read 24,578,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
None of the bleeding heart liberals on this page have answered the question: WHO IS PAYING FOR THIS GIRL'S TREATMENT? THE LIFETIME expenses for CP?

Yes, it's "terrible" that she was stopped and slated for deportation.... but unelss I see you people setting up a lifetime GoFundMe with annuity to care for this girl while Mexico City has more billionaires that any other city in Latin America.... you need to shut up, sit down, and stop spending other people's money.

A calculation needs to be done by the Trump admin to re-route all US aid to Mexico to the hospitals and social service agencies that take care of the millions and millions and millions of MEXICAN nationals in this country. They like to say they're living on Mexican land anyway? Fine. Let the Mexicans pay for their benefits and healthcare and education.

Totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.