Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Unless the Kim regime is destroyed, there won't be a re-unification.

And even if it was, the Chinese would insist the North remain a single party communist system which also means there won't be unification. The last thing China wants is a very friendly to the USA South Korea controlling all of Korea.

The prospect of USA bases on their border keeps them up at night and THAT is why Kim is still in power.

My husband and I discussed a couple of nights ago that even if KJU is taken out there is a lineage and another family member would step up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:17 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think so. The Chinese don't need NK as a buffer. China has long become untouchable and they know it. They got the means to defend themselves against anyone.
The Chinese do need North Korea because they don't want a country where democratic rule like South Korea right on the door step it's more ideological barrier.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
So you're OK with sitting back and making it hundreds of millions instead of millions? Trump has not attacked NK so far. He has turned up the heat and is forcing this to a conclusion. That conclusion could be an agreement with NK that will keep your children safe for many years to come. Or it could be a war with NK that is fought before they have better weapons that can kill considerably more.
I totally agree with your analysis here. We have "kicked the can down the road" since 1953. Much of that time we were in the Cold War and, by proxy, fighting a nuclear USSR or China. Now it's different and that's why the NK leaders are making desperate noises.

Quote:
New sanctions could possibly work? But NK is more dangerous today than when Obama took office. So far our past Presidents seemed to let NK slide and now Trump is saying: enough is enough. If this tactic does not work it will not be safer for your kids or their kids. Of course only time will tell.
Let's be blunt. Sanctions cannot work. If they start to bite the daily pictures on Western newspapers will be of starving North Koreans. Alternatively if we are successful at throttling their oil supplies you'll hear about millions trapped in double-digit (°F) cold with no heat and no gasoline to plow streets. Sanctions were eased against Saddam's Iraq for that reason and cold weather wasn't even much of a factor.

Quote:
It is probably way to early to say; But President Trump ordered new sanctions against Iran in October of 2017: Iran nuclear deal: Trump announces new sanctions on Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps | The Independent. Did those sanctions play a roll in the current uprising? For the time being it looks as if the Iranian leadership is preoccupied with internal issues instead of harassing shipping building it's military.
It's possible but I suspect the deep internal rot of Iran did more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I can't believe you are trying to spin his childish penis envy rant into an act of diplomacy.
His arguments are serious and probably right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Why is so hard for people to know that the way one confronts a bully is by being stronger than the bully?
That's the only way to do it in this case. We're not going to starve or freeze them out. Notice that the recent U.N. sanctions don't take effect for two years? Might was well be never.

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-06-2018 at 04:24 AM..

Old 01-06-2018, 06:02 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
My husband and I discussed a couple of nights ago that even if KJU is taken out there is a lineage and another family member would step up.
Here's my question:

IF we are going to get involved with NK and IF we are doing so for the good of the people, wouldn't it make more sense to send Navy SEALs to kill KJU and the rest of them?

Obviously the country would need assistance to set up a new government but I'd think the above would be preferable to bombing and killing many innocent people who've already suffered enough under this regime.

Old 01-06-2018, 06:05 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Here's my question:

IF we are going to get involved with NK and IF we are doing so for the good of the people, wouldn't it make more sense to send Navy SEALs to kill KJU and the rest of them?

Obviously the country would need assistance to set up a new government but I'd think the above would be preferable to bombing and killing many innocent people who've already suffered enough under this regime.
If we succeed that is ideal. Think Entebbe in 1976.

If it gets botched, as did Desert One in 1980 Katy bar the door. We would then have to be ready to basically destroy the place, fast. Think Israel against Egypt in 1967.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Your comment applies to Kim and to Trump. We all know Kim is a monster, no defense for him.

But Trump is supposed to be POTUS. Playing the "my button is bigger" game is a stupid risk, and certainly is not going to cool things down.

IMO, we should be QUIETLY doing whatever we need to do to contain Kim, take him out if we have to, or whatever. But to provoke him is only going to to back a mad-man into a corner and expect him not to come out fighting. That is just ill-advised.

Wasn't it Reagan who said walk softly, but carry a big stick? Trump should heed that advice, IMO.
Uhhh, no.<bold> Way before Reagan's time Theodore Roosevelt actually said "Speak softly and carry a big stick" which was taken from an old homily or proverb which said "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far.".

That proverb has been followed with respect to NK for the last 30 years so we know that idea doesn't/won't work in this instance. You have to be dealing with rational people in the first place for that to work.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Here's my question:

Actually, I've read we have executive orders from 3 presidents saying that we can't assassinate other leaders. (Ford 11905, Carter 12036, political only; and Reagan 12333.)

It's my understanding that at least one of the reasons behind that is we don't want others to try and do the same to our leaders.

Old 01-06-2018, 08:55 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
LAWL, Mr Literal strikes again.

Obviously 2 = 2nd bomb.

Nobody has said that 3 bombs were dropped on Japan.
That poster did.

Quote:

It's to important for anyone to lie about this That 60 Minutes broadcast was seen my millions of us and millions more around the world. When the 3 atomic bombs went off over Japan my parents who were at Pearl Harbor and said "it changed everything". These weapons are beyond anything human. It would be catastrophic for the USA and it's allies if NK can deliver one or two or three.
When asked, "how many bombs?" :

Quote:
1 over Hiroshima 2 on Nagasaki

Old 01-06-2018, 09:49 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
Here's my question:

Have you ever heard of a location where KJU will be at any particular time? His movements are kept secret until after they occur. He knows he is a target.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Have you ever heard of a location where KJU will be at any particular time? His movements are kept secret until after they occur. He knows he is a target.
No. Why would I? I have no reason nor permissions to be privy to such information.

I'm sure our government, along with the governments of many other countries, can utilize their intelligence resources to ascertain KJU's whereabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies