Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 04:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
What happens when the majority of physicians are female and they have children?

Are they going to work 60 to 80 hours a week at the hospital when they have young children at home?

It will be interesting when there is a huge doctor shortage and the majority of the physicians are women who can only work part-time because of family demands.

I think it is all good that they are going to medical schools in record numbers, but the physician shortage will be worse when the majority of the doctors are working part-time on their own terms.
Because women aren't already hiring nannies today? That is already happening. Many men have felt no obligation to raise the children they create and women were left to support those children alone. As a result, women learned that the answer was to get more education, hire nannies and not depend on men at all. Now men fear the women will do without them? That already happened and men created the scenario.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The gap is non existent for women who obtain educations and stay in the workforce, on the same continuous basis men do.

The gap is a lifestyle choice decision. Longevity matters. Not just your education, or work history, but the length of your work history on a continuous basis.
This is not about length of work history. More women have college educations so that is also moot.

"Did you know that in 2016, women working full time in the United States typically were paid just 80 percent of what men were paid, a gap of 20 percent? The gap has narrowed since the 1970s, due largely to women’s progress in education and workforce participation and to men’s wages rising at a slower rate. Still, the pay gap does not appear likely to go away on its own. At the rate of change between 1960 and 2016, women are expected to reach pay equity with men in 2059. But even that slow progress has stalled in recent years. If change continues at the slower rate seen since 2001, women will not reach pay equity with men until 2119."

https://www.aauw.org/research/the-si...ender-pay-gap/

As long as women allow this, it will be an issue but at least there is light at the end of the tunnel. It wasn't until 1974 that women could get a credit card without a husband. It is unfortunate that women allow 80% of congress to be men but with each generation, that will likely be tolerated less. Hopefully something like the GOP having all men on a health care committee will be positively unacceptable in future generations.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,859,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Because women aren't already hiring nannies today? That is already happening. Many men have felt no obligation to raise the children they create and women were left to support those children alone. As a result, women learned that the answer was to get more education, hire nannies and not depend on men at all. Now men fear the women will do without them? That already happened and men created the scenario.
I have worked with many men and had many male roommates over the years who I had no idea that they are fathers until they mention it months later.

I have no interest in getting married and zero interest in having children. But, I think it is so interesting how many are so distanced from their children that I have known many of these guys quite a while before they say anything about it.

A nanny costs about $50,000 considering $15 an hour, plus health benefits and workers compensation. I was just curious how much do general practice doctors make to be able to afford that if they are paying their student loans alone?

I would venture to guess that it is extremely rare for female physicians to not be married. Usually, a vast majority are married with huge support networks of family and friends which is very rare these days.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
It might be a good idea to read the articles before posting. From the link above:

"But the striking thing is that even after adjusting for so many factors, there’s still a statistically significant pay gap."

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...nation/492965/

And the first article is two and a half years old, ignoring that more women are getting STEM degrees than ever before. And again, more women going to medical school, more women going to law school, more women going to college than men - MILLIONS more.

Yes and you have to look at why! Some women don't work after getting married, and many start and stop their careers more often than men.
Someone needs to tell girls/women that Psychology is not a serious degree unless you go on for a PHd.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
This is not about length of work history. More women have college educations so that is also moot.

Unrelated issues.

A woman who takes 24 weeks off to have 2 kids has a shorter work history than the same age man who did not do that.

Subtract FMLA time from work history to get years actually WORKED.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I have worked with many men and had many male roommates over the years who I had no idea that they are fathers until they mention it months later.

I have no interest in getting married and zero interest in having children. But, I think it is so interesting how many are so distanced from their children that I have known many of these guys quite a while before they say anything about it.

A nanny costs about $50,000 considering $15 an hour, plus health benefits and workers compensation. I was just curious how much do general practice doctors make to be able to afford that if they are paying their student loans alone?

I would venture to guess that it is extremely rare for female physicians to not be married. Usually, a vast majority are married with huge support networks of family and friends which is very rare these days.
That is simply a guess though, isn't it? More women in medical school, more women in law school, more women in college and fewer men in college. That is what is happening. Some men are interested in having and raising children but a LOT of men aren't. Women are finding ways to do it without them.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
I read this HuffPo article a couple of days ago suggesting that if women were in positions of power sexual assault would be diminished. Apparently, the authors of this HuffPo tripe haven't seen the daily litany of women teachers arrested for having sex with their male and female underage students. Clearly, these lascivious, women teachers are using their power inappropriately. I don't think women are better people than men. To assert we are is asinine.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-29-2017 at 05:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Unrelated issues.

A woman who takes 24 weeks off to have 2 kids has a shorter work history than the same age man who did not do that.

Subtract FMLA time from work history to get years actually WORKED.
Men also take family leave. This isn't about length of time in a position but just like previous posts show, the gap is slowly closing and as it does, the role men play in society will likely be altered. As much as the GOP wants to create The Handmaid's Tale, women are working to close the gap entirely.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:54 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
I never found the woman in the workplace to be as committed as the men.

Old 10-29-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I read this HuffPo article a couple of days ago suggesting that if women were in positions of power sexual assault would be diminished. Apparently, the authors of this HuffPo tripe haven't seen the daily litany of women teachers who have sex with their underage students. Clearly, these lascivious teachers are using their power inappropriately. I don't think women are better people than men. To assert we are is asinine.
Men have been doing the same thing for decades. I don't think women are "better people" than men. I think men in positions of power are inclined to use it to control women - often sexually. We have seen many recent stories where that has been shown to be true. The difference with female teachers appears to be that the students are less likely to need to be manipulated - which is a very different subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies