Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2017, 05:05 AM

51,614 posts, read 25,661,852 times

Advertisements

Speaking of Manafort, ran across this.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...47301013417988

All righty, folks. There you have it.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:22 AM

16,169 posts, read 10,314,754 times
What we have now is a person has now pleaded guilty to Russian related issued during the campaign. He is now revealing information on this topic to the investigators. Now you have 2 arrests unrelated to the campaign but it sure has ties. Muller now has leverage that will probably force them to cooperate as well regarding Russia and the Trump organization.

If some of you still think this is a nothing burger well I'll just say you may be eating your words some day.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
What we have now is a person has now pleaded guilty to Russian related issued during the campaign. He is now revealing information on this topic to the investigators. Now you have 2 arrests unrelated to the campaign but it sure has ties. Muller now has leverage that will probably force them to cooperate as well regarding Russia and the Trump organization.

If some of you still think this is a nothing burger well I'll just say you may be eating your words some day.
On Manafort's list of indictments:

Count One: Conspiracy against the United States between 2005 and 2017

How is this unrelated to Trump's campaign as Manafort managed Trump's campaign and then consulted on it during this period of time?

Old 10-31-2017, 05:30 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,898,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

Perhaps Mr. Mueller will be more successful in getting answers than this Letter to AG Sessions dated (7.12.17) was:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3536...ate#from_embed

Old 10-31-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Frankly, the following abrupt settlement seems to indicate some sortof 'quid pro quo'. After all, the Trump administration's Justice Department settled the case for Ms. Veselnitskaya's client very much in their favor shortly after dismissing US Attorney Preet Bharara.

Trump Jr. met with lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya in 2016, and nearly a year later, the Justice Department settled with Prevezon Holdings, the company she represented. ...

"Democrats on the House Judiciary Committee have asked Attorney General Jeff Sessions to answer questions about his "abrupt" 2017 settlement of a fraud case involving the Russian lawyer who met with Donald Trump Jr. in 2016, and whether those two events are somehow connected."

Democrats demand answers from Jeff Sessions on settlement with Russian lawyer
Well, now. That's interesting.

Manafort, Kushner, and Don Jr. meet with Natalia Veselnitskaya. Nearly a year later her fraud case is abruptly settled by Session's DOJ.

Please keep us updated on what the House Judiciary Committee turns up.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:41 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,812,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
On Manafort's list of indictments:

Count One: Conspiracy against the United States between 2005 and 2017

How is this unrelated to Trump's campaign as Manafort managed Trump's campaign and then consulted on it during this period of time?
It's not unrelated as others may think because some of Manafort's key relationships were established long before he was campaign manager. Manafort thought these previously established relationships useful during and after his stint as campaign manager.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 AM

34,719 posts, read 16,746,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Very odd that Mueller apparently knew of Manafort's alleged crimes in 2012 when he was running the FBI for the Obama administration and did nothing.

A tax audit comparing assets/lifestyle/expenses vs. declared income would have yielded most of what is in the current indictment.

Why did the FBI drop the ball on this and allow Manafort to be walking around free to meddle in national politics? All of a sudden Mueller is able to do in 6 months what he and Comey couldn't do in 5 years? Very strange.
Great out of the box thinking. I suspect the timing of the indictments related to a combination of: 1) staying relevant; and 2) avoiding the topic being changed to Uranium 1.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Post #962 is also off the mark about how those charged will be walking.

Now Trump may pardon them. That remains to be seen.

But I'll bet Mueller and 16 of the best prosecuting attorneys in the nation that they won't be walking.
Trump can pardon them, but then Manafort will have to go to NY State and answer money laundering charges there, where he will have to answer any and all questions posed to him because accepting a presidential pardon is admission of guilt of said crimes, so their 5th Amendment protections against self incrimination will be gone.

Manafort has a tough choice ahead, cooperate with Muller's investigation or choose what prison he wants to spend some time at, Sing Sing or Leavenworth because a lot of the evidence against him are documents that he can't contest, like failing to register as a foreign argent. That is pretty binary, either he did or he didn't. And he didn't.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:50 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,908,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Dick Nixon liked to trust his gut too.

As I said, I'm having this weird state of deja vu right now. Live long enough and you learn that there really is very little new under the sun, especially when it comes to politics.

The players and political parties may change, but the underlying motivations of the key players keep spinning us around for another re-run.
I am too and I wasn't even alive during Watergate. I have read a lot about it though, and this seems like a Watergate II.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great out of the box thinking. I suspect the timing of the indictments related to a combination of: 1) staying relevant; and 2) avoiding the topic being changed to Uranium 1.
Uranium 1 is not a serious issue, lest you think Clinton was able to persuade everyone involved (9 different agencies I believe) to go a long with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies