Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:24 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Nearly every problem is solvable....but that does not mean that you have the solution...nor would accept mine.
Studying hard and embracing academics would not solve the Achievement Gap? Are you serious?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 2,069,617 times
Imagine that you could resurrect a group of slaves from, say, the 1850s. If the shocking news that we just had a black president didn't immediately send them back to the hereafter, what might they say about American blacks today?

Would they be pleased or displeased that many blacks in America today view themselves as victims?

Would they be pleased or displeased that blacks passively accept (eagerly accept in some cases) that academic standards and requirements should be lowered or removed because they are not smart enough?

Would they be pleased or displeased that many blacks use slavery that neither they nor any of their recent ancestors experienced as an excuse to underachieve?

Would they be pleased or displeased that many blacks have aligned themselves with the whites who are advocating for lowered standards because they are not smart enough?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Studying hard and embracing academics would not solve the Achievement Gap? Are you serious?

No. Because 70% of the jobs in the economy do not require a college degree, but most good paying jobs require a college degree. Thus, 100% of people getting educated still means someone is going to have to do the low pay jobs and only a minority of people will get good paying jobs.....hence....stratification in achievement despite education.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:55 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
So, what is it the good Professor wants us to do about this racial injustice? Abolish higher math? Re-name it? Stop teaching it? History has been written, how do we (or why would we) attempt to correct it for modern social sensitivities?
why ask me? i dont read minds, ask her what she wants to happen. she is the idiot.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
why ask me? i dont read minds, ask her what she wants to happen. she is the idiot.
Not a question directed at you, more of a commentary towards what it is she's after.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

No, it would not. Even if it were possible to get the average black kid to put as much time and effort into studying math as the average Asian kid, that achievement gap would persist. The gaps are not only about effort but also aptitude, with the latter almost certainly the larger of these components when it comes to math.

The only "solution" is to accept that we are different, at both the individual and group levels. Group average achievement gaps are natural and will always be there. The focus should be on helping all individuals, regardless of race, reach their full potential.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:43 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not sure how old you are, but IMO the whole "acting white" phenomenon is rare. I was a very smart child and never got bullied or anything for being smart. I remember a comment by Michelle Obama about how she was going to "get her A." I was like that - just very competitive with everything - sports, creative endeavors and most importantly school. I liked to be the best when I was a kid and no one ever ridiculed me for it. I'll note I was also a "ghetto" kid and I knew how to beat some a$$ so they knew better than to mess with me anyway lol.

But this sort of thing even today is not as common as people think it is. I have kids. Both my kids are smart but my oldest is a very mediocre (I consider him a bad) student. He doesn't do better because he doesn't want to. He thinks school is boring and useless so he chooses not to do well. Has nothing to do with anyone telling him he "acts white." My daughter is a lot like I was - very competitive and always wants to be the best. She gets all As.

FWIW I have quite a few nephews and little cousins who are near in age to my son who is 15. All of them except my son are excellent students. Half are into sports, the other half are just into nerdy sciency stuff and anime. One of my little cousins is a sports star - plays football, runs track, plays basketball, plays baseball - he is a star at his school in all of them. He has a 4.33 GPA - the highest of all the boys in this age group in my family. He has never been ridiculed either for "acting white" by any black kids. My nephew is nerdy and into art and anime and hates sports. He also goes to a very highly rated private school. He has a 3.95 unweighted GPA and has never been accused of "acting white." He and the 4.33 cousin though have been accused by whites of not being "black" enough. They both go to private schools and blacks are only about 8-10% of the student body.

Smart blacks IMO are accused more by whites and other non-black people of being "weird" or "not black" than we are of being told we are "acting white" by other blacks. In my own life, I've only ever heard something like this once when I was a young girl - a white substitute teacher told me I "talked like a white girl." I told her I'm black so cannot possibly speak like a white girl since I'm black. I got sent to the principal's office...

ETA: FWIW my son is often chided for not being a better student by his cousins and his black friends. Even his friends at school get better grades than he does. He just really doesn't like school and is bored easily. He is very creative though and we started a business for him and I think he'll do well in life. He "thinks" a lot more about things than the other kids his age in regards to figuring out problems and is more mature in a lot of ways. But my little cousin with the 4.33 GPA, he is like a shining star in our family and is a phenomenal young man. All our young men are great. The ones in their 20s now in college have been very good role models for the younger boys/teens. One of my nephews is 20 and a junior in college and he was similar to my son - a bad student in high school but is a Dean's list student in college every semester now that he is studying something he actually wants to study. So I figure my son will be similar as he idolizes this cousin. The 20 year old endured a lot of what he considered "racist" comments aimed at him from whites at his school who told him he also wasn't "black enough." They'd speak to him in broken English and expect him to fulfill stereotypes. His brother, who has the 3.95 goes to the same school he went to and he is actually interested in an HBCU just so he can be around more smart black people in college as he thinks he is getting to prejudiced against whites because he also endures the many racist comments like his brother did about him not being an "authentic" black person because he doesn't fit a ghetto stereotype.
So the conclusion here is that kids going to highschools with high proportions of whites (private school) got more crap thrown their way from whites (90%) than blacks (10%).

I went to a school that was 90% white and I too was tormented by white people calling me weird or whatnot for being highly academic and I'm white. Welcome to the freakin' club.

Maybe the part you are missing is that highschool kids are largely immature a-holes that make fun of everyone?

I'm sorry your kids have to endure racist comments at private school, no doubt they could attend a public school like my friends that was 80% black and they went through 4 years of highschool with the nickname "white girl". lol there is a lesson there....perhaps they should have gone to an all white college to not feel hatred towards black people for being such jerks?

Old 11-02-2017, 10:51 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Acting white as a phenomenon is not about being smart. It is about acting in a certain way and didn't start in any wide sense until forced integration and bussing.

However, I'll agree with you that it was invented by blacks. IMO that is indicative of the actually only "problem" in black America - too many blacks believing they are inferior to white people. Yet that is only in their psyches due to this history of this country's relationship with white supremacy ideology. Contrary to what many of you want to admit, this sort of thing is a psychological issue that affects blacks just as much as it affects whites and others in our country in regards to racial bias.
Holy 2017....wtf is "acting white" or "acting black" anymore? It's not the 90's with vanilla ice and doin' the Carelton.

The entire concept that whites or blacks should "act a certain way" is g-dang offensive.

I don't know what sort of ugly sh*thole some of you live in where people still think like that but I'd encourage you to move away.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:05 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
The main concern is the dumbing down of standards, which hurts us all.

Removing simple and easy math requirements for students due to "social justice" sends a message that some groups can't/shouldn't meet basic standards and therefore less is expected so we get less from them.

Removing or dumbing down simple literacy, math, and writing tests for teachers in the name of "social justice" means that kids get less qualified teachers.

Grading by race for math is in fact racist, and in fact sends a message that it isn't as important to know how to solve the math problem as it is to have a certain skin color where you will be penalized or rewarded based on pigment not math ability in the name of social justice.

Presumably in the name of social justice, posters have denied science in regards to IQ being largely genetic. To the point that they lie about what studies and online articles were saying. It didn't seem to be that the poster had an extremely low-IQ or was illiterate - the poster was just straight up lying about what articles said after having claimed to have read the articles. In the pursuit of social justice it is okay to lie, penalize people based on race, lower requirements, expect less out of groups, deny science, etc...there will be long-term consequences for society on this path.

Old 12-28-2017, 06:57 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Default Math is also racist, according to professor

University Professor Argues That ‘Algebra and Geometry' Are Now Racist

A professor at the University of Illinois made the claim that algebra and geometry perpetuate white privilege because “emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi” give the impression that math “was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans.”

Rochelle Gutierrez’ work “focuses on equity issues in mathematics education,” and worries that evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than white students.

Video: University Professor Argues That
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies