Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 08:58 AM

4,505 posts, read 1,862,029 times

Advertisements

If somebody wants to mutilate their body for a non-medical reason, fine. But it needs to be 100% on their dime and only when they are an adult (18+). The cost of addressing any negative physical or mental consequences of self-imposed non-medical mutilation also needs to be 100% on their dime.

People with vaginas should not be forced to share private areas such as changing rooms and bathrooms with people with penises. This is common sense and this practice has been in place for thousands of years.

So in summary, if you want to be a freak show, go for it, but you’re paying for it and you can’t disturb the rest of society with your madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 09:00 AM

8,168 posts, read 6,921,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Apparently, overall, conservatives first shy away from anything new (you can tell that just by their titling themselves "conservatives"), second, tend to be very narrow, and third, tend to like everything as either/or, black/white.

Also, they have a tendency to paranoia, so that they see things - Jews, blacks, gays, women - as threatening to them.
**Newsflash** many conservatives are:

Quote:
Jews, blacks, gays, women

Old 10-27-2019, 09:23 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This, not religion, is the root of why LGBT equality and feminism are so intimidating to conservatives. Conservatives believe men and women are expected to fill specific societal roles and deviation from those expected roles should not be tolerated. This is one of the reason that the 1950s is looked back on as a golden age among many conservatives. Men and women knew their place. Homosexuality was not tolerated and transgenderism was unheard of. It was before the feminist movement and most women stayed home while the man went to work.

In addition to being anti-LGBT and anti-feminist, conservative minded people also tend to be against people who don't conform to what is expected based on their gender. This includes people who partake in activities typically associated with the opposite gender and/or not taking part in activities expected for their gender. Examples are things like housekeeping and cooking for women and sports, cars, and hunting for men.

So why is this issue such a big deal to conservatives?
I don't think this is the case anymore. A lot of conservative dads these days are teaching their daughters about guns, hunting, home repairs, etc as well as ensuring they are educated. I imagine they are encouraged to still be feminine and have basic home skills. Nothing wrong with being well rounded.

Liberals confuse their kids telling them they can be fifty genders and change them at will.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:22 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,428,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This, not religion, is the root of why LGBT equality and feminism are so intimidating to conservatives. Conservatives believe men and women are expected to fill specific societal roles and deviation from those expected roles should not be tolerated. This is one of the reason that the 1950s is looked back on as a golden age among many conservatives. Men and women knew their place. Homosexuality was not tolerated and transgenderism was unheard of. It was before the feminist movement and most women stayed home while the man went to work.

In addition to being anti-LGBT and anti-feminist, conservative minded people also tend to be against people who don't conform to what is expected based on their gender. This includes people who partake in activities typically associated with the opposite gender and/or not taking part in activities expected for their gender. Examples are things like housekeeping and cooking for women and sports, cars, and hunting for men.

So why is this issue such a big deal to conservatives?
I think in large part it's being told we must call a 6'4" guy with a voice deeper than Barry White, "ma'am."

Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 PM

34,023 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post

Most tolerate the deviant behavior you mention, but that still doesn't make it normal or desirable.
Spot on. We accept your right to be weird on a legal basis, but just like you, we also have the right to make our own moral judgments about what is normal, and what is deviant. We have the right to belong to private institutions which have the right to restrict acceptance into their institutions.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:18 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,866,682 times
Be who you want to be. I don't care. Be a freak show, lop your penis off or turn it inside out, have surgical implanted breasts, take hormones whatever. But do it on your own dime.

I don't care.

But I'm going to call you whatever pronoun I want that I'm comfortable calling you. Don't force me to be uncomfortable taking time to try to figure out if someone is male it female. I will address you how I feel comfortable doing. It's not society's problem to figure out what you are trying to do

Society has clearly defined gender roles for thousands of years. They work. Just because you choose to try and change who you are don't expect everyone else to accommodate you.

Years ago people who did this were declared mentally insane or were perverts.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:30 PM

34,023 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Be who you want to be. I don't care. Be a freak show, lop your penis off or turn it inside out, have surgical implanted breasts, take hormones whatever. But do it on your own dime.

I don't care.

But I'm going to call you whatever pronoun I want that I'm comfortable calling you. Don't force me to be uncomfortable taking time to try to figure out if someone is male it female. I will address you how I feel comfortable doing. It's not society's problem to figure out what you are trying to do

Society has clearly defined gender roles for thousands of years. They work. Just because you choose to try and change who you are don't expect everyone else to accommodate you.

Years ago people who did this were declared mentally insane or were perverts.

Old 10-27-2019, 05:48 PM

7,811 posts, read 6,389,279 times
We like men to act like men, not sissies like Chris Hayes or Ronan Farrow.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:05 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Because science shows us that there are two sexes, men and women. Some of these men and women, including myself, are gay, but we are still men and women. There is no such thing as a 'gender-fluid' person, and science shows us that those who believe they are of some other gender are mentally ill.

We can accept and tolerate people and treat them well, but we should not push that as an agenda, just as we should not push obesity as a way of life, as fat advocates are now doing.
This sounds better when comes from a gay or lesbian vs. a straight White guy like me! That said, the only true 3rd gender/sex, from an arguably scientific standpoint, is an intersex person!

Old 10-27-2019, 07:29 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
idk, I see a lot of so called conservatives women covered up in tattoos and aren't that feminine looking or acting. Lot of them wear jean pants and boots, work out, know how to change car oil, curse and like to get their hands dirty. It's not like the olden days when women wore pretty dresses and completely avoided anything considered "masculine".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies