Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 02:45 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,217,969 times

Advertisements

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago...ble-solutions/

Taken directly from the Article:

" In instances where someone was arrested and a gun was recovered, the report found the overwhelming majority of guns were not bought by the person arrested.

“In 95% of cases where the CPD was able to identify the possessor of the crime gun, that individual was not the original, lawful purchaser of the firearm based upon the ATF record at the initial point of purchase,” the report states.

I can see both side of this problem, I live in Virginia, and I have a carry conceal permit, and Virginia's gun law's compared to Chicago are no where near as tough. But as the article indicates the over whelming majority of guns used in a crime and recovered when the Chicago police arrest the person committing the crime and they had a gun, those guns were not purchased legally by the person who committed the crime.

On the flip side, I do live in Virginia why should I have more restrictions placed on me, because Chicago can not manage it's own problems.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-28-2017 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 02:57 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,868,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post

" In instances where someone was arrested and a gun was recovered, the report found the overwhelming majority of guns were not bought by the person arrested.

“In 95% of cases where the CPD was able to identify the possessor of the crime gun, that individual was not the original, lawful purchaser of the firearm based upon the ATF record at the initial point of purchase,” the report states.

Additionally, the report found, 91.6 percent of guns were traced back to an original buyer who was not linked to any other recovered firearms.

Straw purchasers will also sometimes lie to police and say their gun was lost or stolen “as an excuse intended to cut off further investigation,” according to the report.

To stem the tide of shootings, the report recommended Illinois General Assembly pass the Gun Dealer Licensing Act to help curb straw purchasing, impose anti-theft measures and help police in their gun trafficking investigations. "

I can see both side of this problem, I live in Virginia, and I have a carry conceal permit, and Virginia's gun law's compared to Chicago are no where near as tough. But as the article indicates the over whelming majority of guns used in a crime and recovered when the Chicago police arrest the person committing the crime and they had a gun, those guns were not purchased legally by the person who committed the crime.

On the flip side, I do live in Virginia why should I have more restrictions placed on me, because Chicago can not manage it's own problems.
Comparing a city's gun laws, in a city which is at the intersection of three states, to a state's gun laws is ridiculous. Cities can pass all the gun laws they want but until the state they are in has laws just as tough, it makes no difference - because people can enter and exit those cities with ease and carry whatever they want into them.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:08 AM

89,295 posts, read 45,022,208 times
Quote:

Additionally, the report found, 91.6 percent of guns were traced back to an original buyer who was not linked to any other recovered firearms.

Straw purchasers will also sometimes lie to police and say their gun was lost or stolen “as an excuse intended to cut off further investigation,” according to the report.

To stem the tide of shootings, the report recommended Illinois General Assembly pass the Gun Dealer Licensing Act to help curb straw purchasing, impose anti-theft measures and help police in their gun trafficking investigations. "

It's not a gun problem. It's a people problem. Certain groups of people are highly disproportionately violent. And in areas in which their population is concentrated, there's a huge problem with high rates of violent gun crimes including homicide.

Until the violent group of people problem is addressed, all the gun restriction/ban laws in the world won't change a thing.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,972,524 times
Quote:

The problem with requiring checks on personal sales is it is darn near unenforceable, no record to follow and the only way to do that is Registration which is also not possible to enforce. The only answer is to deal with the criminals, harshly, and deal with the causes of the high crime in some areas.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,673,298 times
Quote:

In other words, changing buying laws won't have much of an effect.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:16 AM

6,620 posts, read 5,025,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
In other words, changing buying laws won't have much of an effect.
A universal registry and mandatory background checks on all purchases including private sales will greatly reduce that. Just looking at the issue, it makes sense people are able to sell guns in chicago blackmarket without consequence. I dont live in chicago, I am not exposed to any gun violence, I own a gun have a conceal permit, i am not planning on doing any private sales, so either way I dont care but if I am looking at the problem and looking at solutions that seems like an easy one.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,484,535 times
Quote:

Chicago and near suburbs butt against the Indiana state line, with loads of traffic and it is basically nothing more than a matter of crossing at almost any point by car with the goods.

I would like to see a set of statistics by state on where these weapons are originally purchased. I would imagine Illinois is highest, but after that, who knows?

Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,921,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not a gun problem. It's a people problem. Certain groups of people are highly disproportionately violent. And in areas in which their population is concentrated, there's a huge problem with high rates of violent gun crimes including homicide.

Until the violent group of people problem is addressed, all the gun restriction/ban laws in the world won't change a thing.

Not many want to address the reason why that is. That's the problem.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:39 AM

24,590 posts, read 17,335,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

Good post.

The key take away with this finding is that the guns were illegally owned and the people caught in the act of committing a crime with them.

Sorry if my mind is more Conservative and my thoughts would have the criminal locked up and his gun destroyed whereas the Liberal mind blames the availability of guns and that is what needs to be cracked down on so the law abiding will have less access....

It should be a simple plan. If you commit a crime you go to jail. If you use a gun in your crime the book is thrown at you and you are put away for a long time.

Why do we want these violent people on the streets? It is only a matter of time before they pull the trigger on that gun and kill someone.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,972,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
A universal registry and mandatory background checks on all purchases including private sales will greatly reduce that. Just looking at the issue, it makes sense people are able to sell guns in chicago blackmarket without consequence. I dont live in chicago, I am not exposed to any gun violence, I own a gun have a conceal permit, i am not planning on doing any private sales, so either way I dont care but if I am looking at the problem and looking at solutions that seems like an easy one.
How would you enforce such laws? The idea relies on compliance by the individuals and it is common knowledge that most will not comply, so how would that work. Besides that, criminals are not going the register their stolen gun, they may be criminals but they are not that stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies