Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support tougher, merit based immigration measures?
Yes 150 87.72%
No 21 12.28%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 07:58 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why do you think the situation would be the same?
Because both countries have immigration laws which allow the residents to bring in family members. Are you favor of laws which disallow people from bringing in their families? Only single people, and people who are willing to leave their family behind?

Quote:
I am not saying the US should only accept people with phds to the exclusion of nannies and gardeners, but it should be based on what skills (high or low) the US needs, instead of whether one has a distance family in the country.
It is. You need a corporate sponsor to come in. That is how it works today.

Quote:
currently the US immigration policy is pure BS and bad for the country, and both parties know it, and the only reason it can't be changed is that the democrats fear it will lose votes. Not to mention the possibility calling a skill based policy "racist" - which a lot of people might do.

To call a skill based immigrant racist is actually being racist, because it assumes certain races simply have fewer skills.
In that case the current system is racist, but no one is calling it that. Why is that? You have believed every immigration related myth out there. Too bad.

People are demanding something they already have. Go figure. Brainwashed nation.

I am going to let you go. Obviously you do not read what people post in replies to your claims. Waste of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not really. Thats propaganda from self-serving people. There is always labor available at the right price. But is the employer willing to pay up?
Agreed. When businesses say "Americans won't work these jobs", what they really mean is "Americans won't work these jobs.... for third world wages".

Old 11-02-2017, 08:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Because both countries have immigration laws which allow the residents to bring in family members. Are you favor of laws which disallow people from bringing in their families? Only single people, and people who are willing to leave their family behind?
I made it very clear that in Canada you can bring in your spouse, children and sponsor your parents. You don't have to be single.

You simply can't bring your aunts/uncles/nephews/grandparents. Is that considered "leaving your family behind"??

You are not even reading what I said, or you have trouble understanding words and logic. Apparently for you, if both countries allow bringing families, it is the same system. Jesus. It is a difference between

only direct family -- all related distant family members
14% of total --- 65% of total

Still think they are the same?

In terms of merit based ones, Canada doesn't require a sponsor/employer, while the US does. Is that enough a big difference for you?

It is frustrating to repeat these to you again and again and I am not sure why I am still doing it.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Agreed. When businesses say "Americans won't work these jobs", what they really mean is "Americans won't work these jobs.... for third world wages".
There is no such thing a third world wages. Employers always pay market wages. If the supply is higher than demand, then the wage is going to be low. If it is really low, that only means you don't have many skills the employers need.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

On the Statue of Liberty

Seems to be time to remove it since it is no longer applicable. We do not want those widows with 2 children looking for a better life for them. If you are a simple laborer we do not want you. Funny thing is the immigrant family of many posters here would no longer be allowed here under these new rules.

Once again we prove we are losing our way as a Nation and a People.

Now back to whatever it was you were doing.

Old 11-02-2017, 08:34 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Your huddled masses, yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

On the Statue of Liberty

Seems to be time to remove it since it is no longer applicable. We do not want those widows with 2 children looking for a better life for them. If you are a simple laborer we do not want you. Funny thing is the immigrant family of many posters here would no longer be allowed here under these new rules.

Once again we prove we are losing our way as a Nation and a People.

Now back to whatever it was you were doing.
Are you planning to sponsor them with your own money? You can sponsor whomever you want.

I must remind you that this country is $20 trillion in debt.

They can say whatever on the Statue of Liberty, but that piece of brown isn't crapping out gold!

Old 11-02-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I made it very clear that in Canada you can bring in your spouse, children and sponsor your parents. You don't have to be single.

You simply can't bring your aunts/uncles/nephews/grandparents. Is that considered "leaving your family behind"??
You can't do that in US either. My wife would love to bring her aunt to US, but the law won't allow it.

Quote:
It is frustrating to repeat these to you again and again and I am not sure why I am still doing it.
Tell me about it I have explained the same thing to you 3-4 times.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
There is no such thing a third world wages. Employers always pay market wages. If the supply is higher than demand, then the wage is going to be low. If it is really low, that only means you don't have many skills the employers need.
That's why American's won't pick fruit for pennies. Drive out the cheap labor, and the growers will be driven out of business, because imports will be so much cheaper than what they would have to ask for their produce after paying triple wages to Americano orange pickers.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Entering a nation as a refugee is a form of immigration, so how is it separate?
I meant it is a separate bureaucratic process.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 7,595,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
On the Statue of Liberty
That wasn't on the Statue of Liberty when it was designed and erected. Someone else put it on later. And it's not even on the statue now. They put it inside the pedestal where you can't even see it as you cruise into New York or New Jersey immigration stations.

The Statue of Liberty has never had anything to do with immigration. Or else it would have been called the "Statue of Newcomers" or something.

The Statue of Liberty is about freedom, not immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies