Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 01:35 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Wrong. Get a new talking point

My family (middle class) will benefit from this plan. The uber rich will pay the same rate but the limits to state and local deductions will impact rich liberals who should be happy to pay more taxes. Everything about this plan feels fair and well thought out. Nice work for once GOP!
I'm afraid you don't understand the plan, if that's your analysis.

The combo of the lowered corporate rate and elimination of inheritance tax is a major 'giveaway to billionaires' that you don't seem to have mentioned or accounted for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,946 posts, read 12,276,554 times
Keep everything the same except make the 12% bracket go to $50,000, keep the estate tax, and make the corporate tax rate 25% instead of 20%.

Nobody forces people to live in Los Angeles and pay $1 million for houses. Maybe this tax plan will help reduce demand and stabilize housing prices. Sucks if you just bought recently but oh well that's life.

I suspect the estate tax phases out after his term to give the next guy time to reinstate it

The National Federation of Independent Business announced its opposition, citing restrictions lawmakers included on which small businesses can claim their lower tax rate on unincorporated "pass-through" firms. The issue has been one of the most difficult for lawmakers to work out, and could prove to be one of the most contentious going forward.

Though lawmakers would reduce the rate on those businesses to 25 percent, there would be limits on which firms could take advantage, provisions designed to avoid gaming by wealthy individuals.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...op-plan-244453

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Your son with 4 kids (married?) is losing 6 personal exemptions (24,300). The loss of exemptions exceeds the almost doubled standard deduction by ~$12,000. The incomes will be rare where the loss of exemptions is made up for by the bump in child tax credits--especially if your son used to itemize.

Your daughter will likely benefit, depending on income. Assuming she used to take the standard deduction, she will go from a $10,400 deduction/exemption to a $12,000 deduction. So that's $1,600 less in taxable income. As long as she doesn't have kids or buy a home, she will benefit.
But her marginal rate on the first 9.3K above the deduction was 10% and now it is 12%. The savings don't accrue until you get past that. So if she is at the lower end, she will probably pay more.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if higher taxes will cause a corporation to move to a lower tax region, wouldn't international corporations seriously consider moving from a country with a 35% tax rate to one with a 15% tax rate?
It should really be 15% across the board, for everyone over the poverty line (and for the amount over the poverty line).

But that's never happening...

Old 11-02-2017, 01:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I will pay thousands more under the Trump bill. I don't live in a high tax state, don't own a million dollar home. This bill is going to stick it good to anyone who makes over 90K a year where the 25% bracket kicks in. The new standard deduction barely makes up for the loss of exemptions not to mention the rest of the deductions that we have had. No!
Under Obama I lost deductions and paid more and you leftist supported and defended it so I can't say I'm feeling bad for ya if what your saying is even true.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
The point of the GOP plan is to provide tax relief for the majority of the middle class. This proposal accomplishes that.
Disagree.

There was no singular "purpose." It's like most bills, there are many competing interests who want different things.

At the end of the day, if the goal was to relieve the middle class of tax burden, they would've eliminated FICA taxes and other wage-based taxes and replaced it with some type of tax on capital. As it stands, what they did was reduce corporate taxes and inheritance taxes for estates over $5.5 million.

Now I'll grant, this tax bill isn't "anti-middle class." For the most part its a wash. But is sure isn't pro-middle class either.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:38 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,456,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Keep everything the same except make the 12% bracket go to $50,000, keep the estate tax, and make the corporate tax rate 25% instead of 20%.

Nobody forces people to live in Los Angeles and pay $1 million for houses. Maybe this tax plan will help reduce demand and stabilize housing prices. Sucks if you just bought recently but oh well that's life.

I suspect the estate tax phases out after his term to give the next guy time to reinstate it.

I think people live in LA/Silicon Valley and NY b/c of the specific industries there that pay well and kind of prop up the entire nation. AS soon as La, MS, and KY get a similar non-opioid related industry to cluster there maybe some people may consider moving there.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
But her marginal rate on the first 9.3K above the deduction was 10% and now it is 12%. The savings don't accrue until you get past that. So if she is at the lower end, she will probably pay more.
If those 4 kids go to college...she loses a $2500 tax credit per year for each of the 4 years in college for all 4 kids. That's a $10k/tax credit CUT per kid if they go to 4 years of college. If all 4 kids get bachelors degrees, that's $40,000 lost in tax credits. Not tax deductions, tax credits.

Anyone that has a kid in college(or if they are adult paying for their own college) Trump's tax plan means they lose $2500/year in tax credits for each year of college. This tax credit goes away. Trump said he loves the uneducated, right?

Old 11-02-2017, 01:40 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, if higher taxes will cause a corporation to move to a lower tax region, wouldn't international corporations seriously consider moving from a country with a 35% tax rate to one with a 15% tax rate?
but they DON'T pay 35% and have not in many decades. the effective rate is somewhere in the mid twenties but the exact number is argued a lot.

our competitors also charge about the same. This stuff is fought over at an international level all the time. only a handful of nations charge low rates and they are small nations.

I am not against low taxes, i am against this wide giveaway. between corp, pass through, estate taxes going away and the repatriation tax corps and high earners must be laughing their heads off.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:41 PM

372 posts, read 576,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy381 View Post

11. Thinking about converting your Roth to a traditional IRA? Do it before December 31 because that goes away under Section 1501.
Is this recharactetization of Roth conversions this addresses? I’m unfamiliar with converting a Roth to a tIRA.

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Edited to add: I just looked it up, and yes, this section refers to recharactetization.

Last edited by Goin' Coastal; 11-02-2017 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies