Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times

Advertisements

Go work in an American hospital Emergency Department like I have...

You want to legalize Meth too? Paint and glue sniffing? Or just the fun drugs? IT IS POISON. Really. Might as well drink bleach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 08:24 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is such a sad story. And it wont get better until both Mexico and the USA end their war on drugs.

I love going to Mexico. I love their food, culture and the people are very nice. Unfortunately, there is no light at the end of the tunnel for this disaster because politicians support the war on drugs.
----------
Stories like those explain why most victims of extortion don’t bother to report these crimes to the police. After all, many police officers are on the cartels’ payroll, either as informants or in some cases actively
participating in organized crime. As a result, Mexico is in a position where the rule of law truly doesn’t exist. If that sounds inflammatory, take note of a study conducted by the Monterrey Institute of Technology. It found that 98.5% of all crime in Mexico in 2010 went unpunished.

https://mises.org/wire/mexicos-disastrous-drug-war
What a great idea. We have millions of people in need of heroin, so this move would alleviate their pain, because heroin would move more freely cross the border.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,140,144 times
Mexico? The USA's war on drug has been disastrous as well

Old 11-05-2017, 08:31 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
You want to legalize Meth too? Paint and glue sniffing? Or just the fun drugs? IT IS POISON. Really. Might as well drink bleach.
Glue and Bleach are legal to possess. Do you want to arrest people who have glue or bleach in their possession? That is a silly comment. It has nothing to do with the situation.

If you back up a bit and understand things from a user's perspective our current system perpetuates the problem it does not solve it.

If someone in the US is arrested for drug possession they get a criminal record, go to court and perhaps jail and might lose their job and even their car. They turn to crime to feed their habit.

In Portugal if someone is caught with small quantities of drugs in their possession they are forced to go to drug counseling and repeat offenders to rehab. This has caused a huge drop in overdoses and cut way down on the heroine problem in that country. Drugs are not legal but people are not jailed simply for possessing small quantities.

Drug users are addicts not criminals. They become criminals because the way our whole war on drugs is set up. I have known people with drug addiction issues. Of the many problems being unable to pay for rehab is a huge issue. If you are a addict you only have money for drugs. Rehab is impossible. And once you are convicted of a drug crime your work opportunities are very limited. Its not like users are happy with their drug use and never want to stop.

So their options are steal, prostitute or sell drugs. That is about it.

Your solution is to have people hide in the shadows and keep doing drugs until the day the OD and end up in your ER.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:41 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
What's your real point? I have sent hundreds of drug addicts to rehab and counseling. After a while it becomes a moral issue for each person as well. You don't GIVE drugs to drug addicts.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:58 PM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
What's your real point? I have sent hundreds of drug addicts to rehab and counseling. After a while it becomes a moral issue for each person as well. You don't GIVE drugs to drug addicts.
To find a solution beyond saying drugs are poison. I think everyone knows that. Eating too much junk food will make you fat. Everyone knows that but we have a obesity epidemic. We can ban sugar and put people in jail who posses it.

And there is a country that has dramatically improved their overdose situation unlike us. Perhaps that is the solution.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
If you do that, around 10% of all Americans will be drug addicts, rather that the 5% now, over 30 million people. The US would have around 100,000 overdose deaths each year, including thousands of teens. The costs of dealing with associated criminal activity with drug use and of treating drug abuse would be in the hundreds of billions of dollars per year (make alcoholism a secondary social ill in comparison).

You would legalize the use of poison.
Not true at all. Just look at Portugal.

BTW, if drug abuse were treated as an illness rather than a crime you would see a lot less criminal activity.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:39 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:

I think we all agree they are bad products. That's not the issue. The issue is what to do about it.

So why jail somebody for having a bad product? Should we put a person in jail for drinking bleach?

Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
I’m all for legalizing marijuana. But as far as drugs like meth, cocaine, etc. Capital punishment for manufacturers and distributing. Treatment for those addicted as I see them as victims. The war on drugs should be ramped up with much stronger punishments, but at the same time we need to knock out some of the strength of the cartels by treating drug addicts and legalizing marijuana which isn’t dangerous.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:33 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I’m all for legalizing marijuana. But as far as drugs like meth, cocaine, etc. Capital punishment for manufacturers and distributing. Treatment for those addicted as I see them as victims. The war on drugs should be ramped up with much stronger punishments, but at the same time we need to knock out some of the strength of the cartels by treating drug addicts and legalizing marijuana which isn’t dangerous.

mmmm. I believe that when it comes to drugs people should be given the choice. By telling people that they cannot be trusted to know what is right and wrong, and that they must be rescued from themselves, it just creates more problems with people choosing wrong. Trying to control drugs by making them illegal is no different than what has already been tried with alcohol.

In terms of physical harm alcohol is a far more destructive substance than many drugs. Certainly more so than pot, and I believe more so than opiates as well. I can't in good conscience advocate for the legalization of meth but do believe that alcohol is just as harmful long term. I also believe that there is a way to regulate drugs that will lead to responsible rather than irresponsible use. Use of substances is going to happen regardless of laws.

Once again this is a matter of personal choice. By denying people the choice a bigger problem is created. Pot, opiates and an argument can be made for cocaine as well should be legal imo. Unfettered access?Perhaps not. Individual use can however be tracked, and limited to a certain amount within a certain time Such as monthly. Yes, there are ways around that but it's better than what we have. And that's just an off the top of my head idea.

Put it this way,is it better to allow people a choice and legalize drugs, or to keep the cartels in control of demand via hyper violent means and making billions doing it? I say allow the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies