Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 09:14 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,808,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
what candidate is beating Trump in 2020?
In politics, 3 years is an eternity.

Funny how after Obama won in 2008 some were saying that the GOP was on it's last legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:25 PM

30,183 posts, read 23,594,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
#1 Mueller was given these investigation powers to specifically look into collusion between Russia and Trump's campaign. However, Mueller now has the ability to investigate anything - even if it is unrelated to Russia and the campaign. Mueller can investigate business actions of Trump decades ago that have nothing to do with Russia or his campaign.

#2 I have a hard time believing that Trump with all of his business dealings and questionable past actions hasn't broken some laws that could be uncovered by government agents with strong investigatory powers.

#3 Trump has few friends in DC to protect him. Mueller is friends with Comey - Trump attacked Comey. Democrats hate Trump. Many Republicans in DC hate Trump and many do but won't vocalize it yet until the push comes for removal. Trump is the easiest target.

As I have said multiple times: Both Trump and Hillary were corrupt liars, but Trump would be held more accountable than Hillary ever would be - because he has more enemies within his own party and the MSM than Hillary. Trump will be held accountable in a way that most politicians aren't.

I don't see how Trump will finish his term. I may look like a fool and he could finish his term and even a second one if the Democrats run a rigged primary to push a crappy candidate forward.

It probably won't be for anything Russian and we will be looking at President Pence.
Sorry bud, he will finish his term. And if the left keeps on acting as ridiculous as they have been for the past couple of years, he will be re-elected for another 4 years. If the left still doesn't get it, we'll have President Pence after that.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:26 PM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
I always figured Trump would be in serious trouble at about 18 months in. I still think that is the case. What has to happen though is for people to turn away from Republicans - for them to be looking at landslide losses in 2018 and 2020. I'm not seeing that - or at least I am not seeing any turn toward democrats.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Sorry bud, he will finish his term. And if the left keeps on acting as ridiculous as they have been for the past couple of years, he will be re-elected for another 4 years. If the left still doesn't get it, we'll have President Pence after that.
It is highly unlikely that Trump gets a 2nd term (if he finishes this one) as he won in PA, MI, WI and OH by the slimmest of margins. Since Democrats are going to vote for the next Democratic candidate and Republicans will vote for theirs, that usually accounts for at least 90% of the electorate. In the battle for the last 10% (or I've heard the last 2%) of Independents, Trump has not endeared himself to the people he needs to win over.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:39 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,641,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
It is highly unlikely that Trump gets a 2nd term (if he finishes this one) as he won in PA, MI, WI and OH by the slimmest of margins. Since Democrats are going to vote for the next Democratic candidate and Republicans will vote for theirs, that usually accounts for at least 90% of the electorate. In the battle for the last 10% (or I've heard the last 2%) of Independents, Trump has not endeared himself to the people he needs to win over.
He's also alienated many groups he promised to protect such as LGBT. Even the Hispanics who gave Trump a chance likely won't again. Trump never moved to the middle, he moved from right to hard right. His approval ratings are the lowest of any newly elected president in recent history.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 PM

38,614 posts, read 26,270,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I have been saying since day one that this Presidency is going to end in a very strange way, and I have not altered that opinion. This entire Presidency has been so twisted, so upside down, and so fraught with problems from day one, that it only seems reasonable that it will not survive full term.

The Mueller investigation is proving to be the worst nightmare imaginable for Donald Trump. Mueller is thorough, smart, well respected, and determined. He has shaken the trees and a lot of problems for Trump have fallen out already.

I am looking forward to Trump's resignation speech. (Do you think he will say " I am NOT A CROOK !" ? )

Mueller will be the first one in line hoping to cut a deal if/when the second special prosecutor is appointed.

Right now, he can't resign because the individual that replaces him will be free to investigate everything that happened during the Obama/Clinton era, and that may include some very questionable activities by a Mueller-run FBI.

Yes, he may have taken the bull by the balls (to the degree that he can), but now what does he do?

Going full nuclear may seem like a fine idea to you, but you have nothing to lose in the exchange.

The world looks vary different from Mueller's perspective.

As the calls for his resignation (appointment of second special council) increase, he'll be looking for the nearest barrel he can dive into.

When that happens, only the rodeo clowns will be able to save him.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Mueller will be the first one in line hoping to cut a deal if/when the second special prosecutor is appointed.

Right now, he can't resign because the individual that replaces him will be free to investigate everything that happened during the Obama/Clinton era, and that may include some very questionable activities by a Mueller-run FBI.

Yes, he may have taken the bull by the balls (to the degree that he can), but now what does he do?

Going full nuclear may seem like a fine idea to you, but you have nothing to lose in the exchange.

The world looks vary different from Mueller's perspective.

As the calls for his resignation (appointment of second special council) increase, he'll be looking for the nearest barrel he can dive into.

When that happens, only the rodeo clowns will be able to save him.
Keep dreaming that dream.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,061,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
again. who is beating him?

most of the Democratic candidates suggested are punchlines at best

Old 11-02-2017, 09:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,641,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
again. who is beating him?

most of the Democratic candidates suggested are punchlines at best
Ten months into Bush's second term no one knew Obama would run. Let's see how 2018 turns out and go from there. That said - I want Trump to run for a second term. I want to see him lose and have to give a concession speech and move out of our White House in front of the cameras.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:49 PM

32,947 posts, read 12,241,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Both the Republican and the Democratic parties are in crisis. The crises are both similar in some ways and different in others at the same time.

Both parties have internal divisions. That's the greatest similarity. The greatest differences is one has to show it can govern, while the other has to show it can lead the nation again.

Trump attempts to use one party against the other to get his way.

So far, it's very hard to say if that will work for him or not, as nothing as come from his maneuvering that has amounted to anything substantial.

Playing one party against the other could be effective for Trump, but the man has the unfortunate tendency to make a decisive decision one day and then try to reverse the decision the following day.

That can actually be effective sometimes, but when it's done too often, all it does is create more indecision. And indecision creates a state of suspension, while Congress has to wait until the President finally acts. The President can propose, but it is Congress that must dispose.
Until Trump begins acting more decisively, all Congress gets is one empty proposal after another.

That's why I think he will ultimately resign.
All his life, Trump has been able to propose, and has always had many underlings to take over and make the proposal work in a united fashion.
When a proposal fails, Trump has always had the ability to lay the failure at the feet of others.
When a proposal succeeds, Trump has always had the ability to take all the credit. His underlings all get other rewards for the success.

Now, as President, he faces something he has never faced before; over 300 other people who all hold jobs very similar to his, who have to show their voters they all can create proposals that can succeed. Many of those other people are intent on gaining their success on his failure, and they are both in the opposition party and within his own.

And now, for the first time in his life, Trump must share the credit for a success. He can only claim a portion of it at most, even in the best circumstance.
In some instances, he can't claim any of the credit. The triumph belongs to others alone. This is entirely new to him, and entirely distressing, as recognition is the very thing Trump has craved most all his life. Now that he has the ultimate recognition, as President of the United States, all other recognition of him alone is now denied. Others always have a portion of it, often the greater portion.

But when something fails, it ultimately lands at his feet because he is the President, and the back stops there.
For the first time in his life, he cannot pass the blame to any others, and he cannot shoulder defeat himself and carry on with the load of it weighing down on him. No matter how hard he tries to throw that weight off.

And that's why he will eventually leave. That's the only choice that will be left to him, and when all other choices fail, he will take the only one left.

Ironically, the fact that Trump reached the highest political position in the land will be the reason for his downfall. All the others in Congress are politicians, and every other person has risen through the political ranks, each experiencing all the things that are brand new to Trump many times.

Even when a politician has never lost, which is very rare, they have all experienced the dread of losing. And all have experienced the necessity of sharing the victory when it is won. Many times. Times when a defeat was small, and times when a defeat was huge. Times when victories were the same. And times when everything went sour, no matter what else happened, and they all had to carry the burden with them for as long as they remained.
Working his way up allows a man to learn how to handle all that. Starting at the top allows nothing in that regard.
Trump may be experiencing the dread of winning. He may have run thinking there was no way he would win, just wanting to garner publicity for his brand, and the ability to whine for the final 20 years of his life that the 'system is rigged'. Given pictures of Trump and his family looking at television screens on election night, and how much he sometimes seems to dislike the job, I think there is some chance that this is the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies