Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 12:54 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My commentary wasn't about groups collect as a whole
Well, a spotlight fallacy doesn't work. You have to look at a group's stats. Do the low-income have shorter lifespans? Yes. Do they still collect more in SS benefits than they paid in SS taxes, anyway? Yes. They're the only group that DOESN'T lose money on SS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 12:58 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, a spotlight fallacy doesn't work. You have to look at a group's stats. Do the low-income have shorter lifespans? Yes. Do they still collect more in SS benefits than they paid in SS taxes, anyway? Yes. They're the only group that DOESN'T lose money on SS.

There's no fallacy in saying poor people have shorter lifespans and because of it often don't collect a dime. I'm also not concerned with who makes or loses money on SS because that is a strawman. It's not an investment and never was intended to be

Old 11-04-2017, 01:05 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I wouldn't say everyone that doesn't pay taxes is 0 or negative to society, not cool or correct. Hillary pays taxes and is a negative to society and people that are helping others are contributing to society regardless whether or not they pay taxes.

I don't think the current system needs much changing other than lowering corporate taxes so we're competitive worldwide and making the taxes simpler and I agree with doing away with the state tax deduction.
Thank you, TT.

+1

Old 11-04-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
There's no fallacy in saying poor people have shorter lifespans and because of it often don't collect a dime.
The fact is that according to the SS Administration, even with their shorter life-spans, the low-income are the ONLY group that DOESN'T lose money on SS. Everyone else gets back LESS than they paid.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:23 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If the poor are taxed at $0, then nothing is being taken from them
I finally figured out what she is trying to say ..... she says anyone who actually pays income tax is "rich" and they should get no "cut". The "cut" should go to those who don't pay any taxes - now that confuses people, but you have to understand that the only tax reform the Leftists will accept is for ALL of those who actually pay income taxes to Transfer MORE of their wealth to those who pay nothing and get checks FROM the IRS every year. Apparently even those working hard at a $75,000 a.year job are the "filthy rich" that don't deserve a cut.

This is the Leftist mind set.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Everyone should have to pay something toward federal tax. It is outrageous that some people pay nothing and get thousands in earned income "credits" (tax welfare). While someone making a working class income with no kids, no deductions pays thousands. The first poor guy gets all of the money the second poor guy paid.
Exactly correct and why I love most of this plan - a lot of people don't "itemize" on their tax return, because they can't meet the threshold to itemized. The take the Standard Deduction ..... which is now doubled. The children credit goes up by over 50%, an added credit if you have another non-child dependent. Renters are growing everywhere - they can't itemize. They get a double Standard Deduction.
All existing mortgage interest is Grandfathered - new Mortgage interest is Capped. The very wealthy won't get their Mortgage interest, but that's a small group. The very wealthy are the only group Nationwide that don't get cuts and their loopholes are closed.

That's HUGE.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:44 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,174,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Don't forget the evil corporations. They would have to pay too - no more loopholes or whatever those are for them.
For the most part, corporations pass their taxes on to customers in the way of higher prices for goods and services!

Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The fact is that according to the SS Administration, even with their shorter life-spans, the low-income are the ONLY group that DOESN'T lose money on SS. Everyone else gets back LESS than they paid.
As with life expectancy the most import person's numbers are mine not some group as it may or may not apply

Old 11-04-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
... And that's a good and fair question.

But lest everyone think that people who pay no income tax are n'er-do-wells, I should remind you that a lot of them are retired. Social Security is generally not taxed.
Q: Do you have to pay taxes on Social Security?
A: Provisional income is adjusted gross income (not including Social Security) plus 50% of your benefits plus any tax-free interest from municipal bonds. If that income is between $25,000 and $34,00 on a single return or between $32,000 and $44,000 on a joint return, up to 50% of your benefits can be taxed.

If you have a pension of any size or dividends to supplement Social Security - you probably pay taxes on SS.
If you sell your property - you WILL pay Capital Gaines.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
As with life expectancy the most import person's numbers are mine not some group as it may or may not apply
How about if I feel that way and don't think it's fair that I have to pay federal income tax when more than 45% of 1040 filers pay NO federal income tax whatsoever? Will that work for me like you want your individual case to work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies