Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 12:58 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,659,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
There are two ways one becomes "ultra rich." it's handed down to them or they earned it. The majority of one percenters are self made.
Or, you know, they could rob the general public and steal it.

I guess that counts as "earning it." Stealing from the general public is hard work I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 01:12 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,003,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Or, you know, they could rob the general public and steal it.

I guess that counts as "earning it." Stealing from the general public is hard work I'm sure.
Mark Zuckerberg is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Oprah Winfrey is a one percentor. What did she steal?

Steven Hawkins is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Ben Carson is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Michael Jordan is a one percenter. What did he steal?

And since you brought it up, stealing millions of dollars is harder than working an entry level job or sponging off the government. Yes, guys like Al Capone or the wolf of wall-street actually worked their tails off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brrcl-9dA9c

Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM

18,453 posts, read 9,096,109 times
"When people see a strong horse and a weak horse, by nature they will side with the strong horse." -- Osama Bin Laden

Old 11-03-2017, 01:43 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,135,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The ultra-rich don't produce anything of value, they simply live off the fruits of others' labor. They feel entitled to your tax dollars, which subsidize their corporations and pay for their wars to get access to markets/resources. When they mess up and their corporations fail, the feel entitled to your tax dollars to pay for their bailouts.

It's time to stop these lazy free loaders from getting rich at our expense. Agree?
I applaud and congratulate the wealthy who earned it the old fashioned way: by building a business, hiring people and innovating products. What I despise are the wealthy who want money the easy way by "rent seeking." Economists define "rent seeking" as those who attempt to accumulate money by hiring lobbyists to go to Washington and get special tax treatments, loopholes, subsidies, etc. Rent seekers get money without contributing to the productive economy, it's literally rigging the system.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:03 PM

88,729 posts, read 44,535,751 times
Quote:
The ultra-rich don't produce anything of value, they simply live off the fruits of others' labor. They feel entitled to your tax dollars, which subsidize their corporations and pay for their wars to get access to markets/resources. When they mess up and their corporations fail, the feel entitled to your tax dollars to pay for their bailouts.

It's time to stop these lazy free loaders from getting rich at our expense. Agree?
Pretty easy to solve that problem if you think it is one. Simply stop voluntarily enriching them. Yes, I said voluntarily. Stop buying the goods/services produced/provided by the corporations in which they own equities, etc. Voilà... No more "ultra-rich."

Old 11-03-2017, 02:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
Quote:

Agreed. All the deadbeats that live off the largesse of others need to be thrown off of the planet.....

Oh wait, that means liberals and poor people.

Ah well

Old 11-03-2017, 02:07 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,908,261 times
I am fortunate to have lived a comfortable life. The only folks I know perosnally, that have used unemployment and medicaid are Republicans who have come into hard times. I don't begrudge them living in a 400K house, with three new cars in the driveway, the horse in the stable, etc. as they get what they can. I would be hard pressed to begrudge a single woman who has a few kids, works at Walmart and needs food stamps to get by.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
Mark Zuckerberg is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Oprah Winfrey is a one percentor. What did she steal?

Steven Hawkins is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Ben Carson is a one percentor. What did he steal?

Michael Jordan is a one percenter. What did he steal?

And since you brought it up, stealing millions of dollars is harder than working an entry level job or sponging off the government. Yes, guys like Al Capone or the wolf of wall-street actually worked their tails off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brrcl-9dA9c
3 of those people are ultra-rich, 2 are not. One is Mark Zuckerberg who did in-fact steal his idea from a classmate.

I've never heard of "Stephen Hawkins", I assume you mean Stephen Hawking. He only has a net worth of ~$20 million. You couldn't even buy a private jet for that much.

But when I said "Steal" i was referring more to the financier/executive class, people who are largely unaccountable to their own shareholders. And those people do exist - you failed to mention them when describing the supposedly "two types of ultra rich."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkoPq5AOCOA

Old 11-03-2017, 02:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,167,119 times
You can buy a brand new private jet for under ten million. A good used one for a few million.

I am checking into it for myself.

Old 11-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You can buy a brand new private jet for under ten million. A good used one for a few million.

I am checking into it for myself.
Maybe I wasn't specific enough but I'm talking like a full-size passenger jet like the big wigs have, like a 737 or 787 or something.

I'm not talking about some local rotarian with $20 million, the phrase here is ultra rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies